45 Gallon Gas Tank Surprise

I bought my used 2002 HD thinking all this time that it had 26 gallons. I didn’t really question it for the last 2 years as it’s not my daily driver. I did notice however each time I filled up at half tank that I would fill up to about 18 gallons or more instead of the 13 gallons I was expecting to fill. I wasn’t informed by the dealer when I bought the truck. 

When I checked the sticker on the gas tank and researched it online. It is a 45 gallon diesel gas tank replacement and I have been putting regular unleaded all this time with no problems that I am aware of. The replacement tank is made by Transfer Flow and I did not see a 45 gallon gas version only diesel. 

Any thoughts on what I should do? I am guessing just keep putting regular gas?

Thanks all. Now I just wonder if my fuel gauge is accurate or if needs to be programmed for the increased capacity? Looks like the previous owner replaced the instrument cluster as well. 

11 minutes ago, RoarinRow said:

Thanks all. Now I just wonder if my fuel gauge is accurate or if needs to be programmed for the increased capacity? Looks like the previous owner replaced the instrument cluster as well. 

IF the tank is the same DEPTH, which it should be from the sender, this should be the same sender and not a problem.

This an extended cab pick up?>

Edited by Formulabruce

5 minutes ago, Formulabruce said:

IF the tank is the same DEPTH, which it should be from the sender, this should be the same sender and not a problem.

This an extended cab pick up?>

Yes extended cab. Thanks!

39 minutes ago, r1byker said:

I' put a 45 gallon diesel tank from Transfer Flow on my 2500 Duramax.  The only thing that gets wonky is the predicted range; it will always show less than what you could actually do.  

I think that is why my fill ups have always been off. Would you know this could be fixed?

It doesn't sound like your fill-ups are too far off.  With 45 gallons, it wouldn't be unusual for the gauge to show "empty" when there's still, say, 5 gallons in the tank.  That leaves 40 from empty to full, and 20 at about the 1/2 mark.  You said you put in about 18.  Ok, still a little off, but not much.  Fuel gauges are often pessimistic to help make sure you don't run out of gas.

Try running it down to 1/4 and then fill to see how much it takes.  Try running it down to 1/8 and fill.  Then on down to where the warning light comes on (assuming the 1/8 showed quite a bit of gas left).  You might keep track of miles on the tank at these gauge positions to make sure you don't run out of gas (in case there really is something wrong with the gauge or sender).  You could even carry a couple gallons when running it low.  Then you'll get to know how far you can comfortably let it go down to, and how many gallons are actually left in the tank when low or "empty".

On 1/1/2019 at 10:43 PM, jake111 said:

It doesn't sound like your fill-ups are too far off.  With 45 gallons, it wouldn't be unusual for the gauge to show "empty" when there's still, say, 5 gallons in the tank.  That leaves 40 from empty to full, and 20 at about the 1/2 mark.  You said you put in about 18.  Ok, still a little off, but not much.  Fuel gauges are often pessimistic to help make sure you don't run out of gas.

Try running it down to 1/4 and then fill to see how much it takes.  Try running it down to 1/8 and fill.  Then on down to where the warning light comes on (assuming the 1/8 showed quite a bit of gas left).  You might keep track of miles on the tank at these gauge positions to make sure you don't run out of gas (in case there really is something wrong with the gauge or sender).  You could even carry a couple gallons when running it low.  Then you'll get to know how far you can comfortably let it go down to, and how many gallons are actually left in the tank when low or "empty".

Yeah this will be my next plan. I’m about 3/4 used of a tank now. Let’s see how much she gets filled up today...so about 18 at half. 3/4 empty, we’ll see....

So today I filled up around 3/4 empty and filled her back up with 27.453 gallons. I guess this confirms I have more than 26 gallons and gas gauge is somewhat representative of the 45 gallon tank upgrade the previous owner had installed. 

C73027A5-15CA-4ACE-ABAF-EF20648188B7.jpeg