45 Gallon Gas Tank Surprise

22 hours ago, jake111 said:

While nerve racking, you can probably run until the needle buries itself below "E" . . . and still have miles to go!  Of course, the light will be on and the DIC will go ding-ding-ding.

That would be ideal to really confirm. But I usually have my family with me and don’t want to put them through being stranded lol. 

That would be ideal to really confirm. But I usually have my family with me and don’t want to put them through being stranded lol. 

You put a 5 gallon can in the back and drive it till it sputters. Not a diesel, so it fires right back up. Just plan accordingly. You really need to know, so you can trust your gauge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

32 minutes ago, carnutdallas said:

You put a 5 gallon can in the back and drive it till it sputters. Not a diesel, so it fires right back up. Just plan accordingly. You really need to know, so you can trust your gauge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True. That’s a good idea thanks!

• 4 months later...
20 hours ago, wvucyclist said:

Which bed do you have? I have a 2001 2500 with the 26 gallon tank, I can make about 300 miles.  I'd really like to put a bigger tank on, but not sure a bigger one would even fit.

I have a standard 6.5' bed.  I believe my gas gauge is off and still calculating mileage off the original 26 gallon tank or close to it.  Doesn't matter too much cause I always fill up around 1/2 tank.

The pcm can be programmed to show the extra volume as well as can be programmed for the proper readings from the sending unit for various fuel levels. I am currently running the same PCM and similar program on my 99 suburban with a 42 gallon tank and the gauge is accurate. I don't have the predicted fuel range option. 

• Like 1

On 1/4/2019 at 9:12 PM, jake111 said:

While nerve racking, you can probably run until the needle buries itself below "E" . . . and still have miles to go!  Of course, the light will be on and the DIC will go ding-ding-ding.

That's- ding-ding-ding-DING.  you were short a ding. 

19 hours ago, Markmx6 said:

The pcm can be programmed to show the extra volume as well as can be programmed for the proper readings from the sending unit for various fuel levels. I am currently running the same PCM and similar program on my 99 suburban with a 42 gallon tank and the gauge is accurate. I don't have the predicted fuel range option. 

I'm lame.  How does one go about programming the pcm?

On 5/17/2019 at 9:56 AM, RoarinRow said:

I'm lame.  How does one go about programming the pcm?

I purchased the HPTuners program. It allows you to make a lot of modifications to the PCM. There is also EFILive and Tunercats or whatever they are now. They all have advantages and disadvantages over their competitors,  it all depends on what you are looking for and what will suit you the best. 

39 minutes ago, Markmx6 said:

I purchased the HPTuners program. It allows you to make a lot of modifications to the PCM. There is also EFILive and Tunercats or whatever they are now. They all have advantages and disadvantages over their competitors,  it all depends on what you are looking for and what will suit you the best. 

Got it thanks.  Ah that kind of tuner, thanks I'll look into it.