Jump to content

RoarinRow

45 Gallon Gas Tank Surprise

Recommended Posts

I bought my used 2002 HD thinking all this time that it had 26 gallons. I didn’t really question it for the last 2 years as it’s not my daily driver. I did notice however each time I filled up at half tank that I would fill up to about 18 gallons or more instead of the 13 gallons I was expecting to fill. I wasn’t informed by the dealer when I bought the truck. 

 

When I checked the sticker on the gas tank and researched it online. It is a 45 gallon diesel gas tank replacement and I have been putting regular unleaded all this time with no problems that I am aware of. The replacement tank is made by Transfer Flow and I did not see a 45 gallon gas version only diesel. 

 

Any thoughts on what I should do? I am guessing just keep putting regular gas?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't switch to putting in Diesel.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You drive a gas truck right? You put gas in it and drive it. The vessel the fuel is in could careless what goes in it. Fill it up!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a 700 mile to the tank gasser, nice.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks all. Now I just wonder if my fuel gauge is accurate or if needs to be programmed for the increased capacity? Looks like the previous owner replaced the instrument cluster as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, gearheadesw said:

There's a 700 mile to the tank gasser, nice.

Hell YEAH!, just like my Old 85 dual tank truck, ready for the long hauls !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, RoarinRow said:

Thanks all. Now I just wonder if my fuel gauge is accurate or if needs to be programmed for the increased capacity? Looks like the previous owner replaced the instrument cluster as well. 

 IF the tank is the same DEPTH, which it should be from the sender, this should be the same sender and not a problem.

 This an extended cab pick up?>

Edited by Formulabruce

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Formulabruce said:

 IF the tank is the same DEPTH, which it should be from the sender, this should be the same sender and not a problem.

 This an extended cab pick up?>

Yes extended cab. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I' put a 45 gallon diesel tank from Transfer Flow on my 2500 Duramax.  The only thing that gets wonky is the predicted range; it will always show less than what you could actually do.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, r1byker said:

I' put a 45 gallon diesel tank from Transfer Flow on my 2500 Duramax.  The only thing that gets wonky is the predicted range; it will always show less than what you could actually do.  

I think that is why my fill ups have always been off. Would you know this could be fixed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, RoarinRow said:

I think that is why my fill ups have always been off. Would you know this could be fixed?

No, it can't.  I had mine installed at Transfer Flow and they warned me about that one aberration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It doesn't sound like your fill-ups are too far off.  With 45 gallons, it wouldn't be unusual for the gauge to show "empty" when there's still, say, 5 gallons in the tank.  That leaves 40 from empty to full, and 20 at about the 1/2 mark.  You said you put in about 18.  Ok, still a little off, but not much.  Fuel gauges are often pessimistic to help make sure you don't run out of gas.

 

Try running it down to 1/4 and then fill to see how much it takes.  Try running it down to 1/8 and fill.  Then on down to where the warning light comes on (assuming the 1/8 showed quite a bit of gas left).  You might keep track of miles on the tank at these gauge positions to make sure you don't run out of gas (in case there really is something wrong with the gauge or sender).  You could even carry a couple gallons when running it low.  Then you'll get to know how far you can comfortably let it go down to, and how many gallons are actually left in the tank when low or "empty".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/1/2019 at 10:43 PM, jake111 said:

It doesn't sound like your fill-ups are too far off.  With 45 gallons, it wouldn't be unusual for the gauge to show "empty" when there's still, say, 5 gallons in the tank.  That leaves 40 from empty to full, and 20 at about the 1/2 mark.  You said you put in about 18.  Ok, still a little off, but not much.  Fuel gauges are often pessimistic to help make sure you don't run out of gas.

 

Try running it down to 1/4 and then fill to see how much it takes.  Try running it down to 1/8 and fill.  Then on down to where the warning light comes on (assuming the 1/8 showed quite a bit of gas left).  You might keep track of miles on the tank at these gauge positions to make sure you don't run out of gas (in case there really is something wrong with the gauge or sender).  You could even carry a couple gallons when running it low.  Then you'll get to know how far you can comfortably let it go down to, and how many gallons are actually left in the tank when low or "empty".

Yeah this will be my next plan. I’m about 3/4 used of a tank now. Let’s see how much she gets filled up today...so about 18 at half. 3/4 empty, we’ll see....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So today I filled up around 3/4 empty and filled her back up with 27.453 gallons. I guess this confirms I have more than 26 gallons and gas gauge is somewhat representative of the 45 gallon tank upgrade the previous owner had installed. 

C73027A5-15CA-4ACE-ABAF-EF20648188B7.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While nerve racking, you can probably run until the needle buries itself below "E" . . . and still have miles to go!  Of course, the light will be on and the DIC will go ding-ding-ding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.