UPR single side catch can install 2018 GMC Sierra 6.2.

I ordered the UPR single side catch can for my 2018 GMC Sierra 6.2 last week. Finally got around to installing it today. The UPR is a very well put together set up. The hoses supplied are very nice, and the finish on the can and bracket look great. All connections are GM snap fittings for a clean OEM look/install.

I will say the supplied instructions left a little to be desired, but the pictures on their website were a big help. I did run into a couple of minor issues. One was the hole for the mounting arm what's too small for the factory bolt holding the fender support bar. I had to drill it out to 21/64". Next issue what's a hex head screws holding the adjustment collar to the can. One of them is located slightly under the dirty side fitting to a can making it a little hard to get to for adjustments. A ball end hex wrench solved that. On UPR website their picture shows the can has a straight fitting out the top with a 90-degree end on the hose. My can had a 90 degree fitting on the can and on the hose.j

fd775b7c2bef51991802dd21a356b395.jpg8692fcaeaecda671a52356dedc09c76d.jpg8b3df2f6c0ec64c8afc77974bab8c4b2.jpg149b3ca287f8de6bda9369e904cbf243.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by Grjfer
Clarification
  • Like 1

I had the same issue with the hole being too small.  I just grabbed a stepped drill bit and opened it up one notch, good to go.  I didn't need to adjust anything else.

Installed it in a few minutes in the driveway with a tiny flashlight.  Not a hard install and can be easily removed back to stock in a couple of minutes.  I even keep the stock hose in the truck for just that purpose.

Emptying is a complete breeze.  There is enough room to simply stick an empty water bottle under it and open the valve, so that's good to go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, damnthetorpedoes said:

Is this what you guys ordered? http://www.uprproducts.com/chevrolet-gm-billet-oil-catch-can-single-valve-silverado-62-14.html

Any add-ons or just the standard? I’m becoming convinced I should add a catch can. Hopefully it’s not too late at 33k miles. 

Yup. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, damnthetorpedoes said:

Is this what you guys ordered? http://www.uprproducts.com/chevrolet-gm-billet-oil-catch-can-single-valve-silverado-62-14.html

Any add-ons or just the standard? I’m becoming convinced I should add a catch can. Hopefully it’s not too late at 33k miles. 

I added the pro check valve, and extra O rings. Pm @JoeCCS for the best possible price. 

• Like 1

I ordered a 5.3 for myself and a 6.2 for my buddy. I also had to drill out the mounting hole. not a big deal to do so. For a quality unit at with super nice hoses and clips it's a steal!

I didn't get any extras. The unit already comes with the check valve installed on the clean side line.

• 1 month later...
27 minutes ago, flyingfool said:

why the check valve, isn't this built into the pcv port in the manifold?

19 minutes ago, 3tspapat said:

It's for if it ever sees boost in the manifold, it won't push back into the can and blow it up...something like that...it's in my head somewhere.

Yes it’s to prevent back flow. On the dual valve there should be 2 check valves. One to the valley (single valve can) and one to the air plenum (dual valve can) the one that goes to the air plenum is usually open under 3/4 to WOT, at that point the valley check valve will more than likely close. They work in tandem during different throttle setting/inputs. No there is no check valve in the stock line but to be honest I never looked to see if somehow they fit one inside.

the port fitting in the manifold  looks as if it might have a pcv check valve built in.. it might be a cmall diaphram type valve, needs closer inspection, I dont know why they wouldn't have it built in, the line itself has nothing inline. 

On 2/8/2019 at 5:44 PM, flyingfool said:

the port fitting in the manifold  looks as if it might have a pcv check valve built in.. it might be a cmall diaphram type valve, needs closer inspection, I dont know why they wouldn't have it built in, the line itself has nothing inline. 

The PCV valve has as best I can tell a flow rate valve. I broke mine this morning disconnecting the PCV line. The QD didn’t open all the way and I (like a dummy) pulled too hard. See the results below ? anyway, I could get airflow in both directions but it could be a check valve set to close at a pressure higher than I was able to provide. I took a couple pictures (best I could get with my phone) for you to see so it may save you or others the hassle of pulling it just to see inside ? I can’t see anything inside the clean port on intake manifold.

0A355A7D-68A5-4002-A8FA-D71751486637.jpeg

16F4C3C0-C07F-4C89-A8BD-58170BA415F4.jpeg

38EC2ADB-B6CE-4CCB-BF2D-7310031B251D.jpeg

Edited by SS502

ahh just as i thought it does have a check valve, yes it does flow in both directions like all pcvs, but it closes when presssure exceeds a certain level of vacuum or positive crank case pressure,

so there is no need to add a check valve on those aftermarket catch can kits. 

Edited by flyingfool