Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Recommended Posts

34-36lbs seems to be the sweet spot.

My tires were set at 42 when I first purchased.

The first "Mod" I did to my Sierra was airing down within the first hour she came home. :thumbs:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d agree that my truck is bouncy and doesn’t ride or handle as well as my 2016 Ram. When the ram shocks needed replacement I put Bilstein 4600s on and it was even better. I’m currently waiting on aftermarket shocks to see if that’ll help this truck. Highway is fine, but any unperfect road is torture and I’m REALLY hoping some bilsteins will calm this bouncy boat down. For all the hype I’m pretty unhappy with my 19 RST. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JimTX said:

I’d agree that my truck is bouncy and doesn’t ride or handle as well as my 2016 Ram. When the ram shocks needed replacement I put Bilstein 4600s on and it was even better. I’m currently waiting on aftermarket shocks to see if that’ll help this truck. Highway is fine, but any unperfect road is torture and I’m REALLY hoping some bilsteins will calm this bouncy boat down. For all the hype I’m pretty unhappy with my 19 RST. 

That's to be expected. Your RST probably has hundreds of pounds more payload capacity than your Ram did. Ram's coil springs suspensions have always had a softer ride. They just don't have nearly as high of a payload capacity on average because of it. A 7100 lb GVWR truck with leaf springs, especially one with Ranchos, will have a firm ride.

 

If you have 20" wheels, that will affect the ride substantially. If the tires are over-inflated, that will also have an effect on ride. The twin-tube Rancho shocks suck, so at a minimum, you should look into shocks. I'm planning on at least going with Bilsteins 4600's when they're available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HondaHawkGT said:

That's to be expected. Your RST probably has hundreds of pounds more payload capacity than your Ram did. Ram's coil springs suspensions have always had a softer ride. They just don't have nearly as high of a payload capacity on average because of it. A 7100 lb GVWR truck with leaf springs, especially one with Ranchos, will have a firm ride.

 

If you have 20" wheels, that will affect the ride substantially. If the tires are over-inflated, that will also have an effect on ride. The twin-tube Rancho shocks suck, so at a minimum, you should look into shocks. I'm planning on at least going with Bilsteins 4600's when they're available.

I’ve said this in a previous post but my ram also could tow more than my RST. I think ram can do 99 percent of what people use a half ton truck for. The “it’s a truck it’s supposed to ride rough” argument can be solved by looking at rams tow and payload numbers and riding in one of their trucks. Even the old generation. The new ones even better. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JimTX said:

I’ve said this in a previous post but my ram also could tow more than my RST. I think ram can do 99 percent of what people use a half ton truck for. The “it’s a truck it’s supposed to ride rough” argument can be solved by looking at rams tow and payload numbers and riding in one of their trucks. Even the old generation. The new ones even better. 

Most new Ram 1500's I'm seeing have such low payload ratings it's laughable. Very rarely do they have enough payload rating to handle decent tongue weight while also having people and cargo in the truck at the same time. Some have less payload capacity than a Chevy Colorado.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I have posted before. The ride in my RST non Z71 is garbage. I let the pressure down on the factory 18's to 35#s all around. That helped a little. When this truck starts bouncing it goes to full extension on the shocks. When I hit expansions in the road where the pavement lifts. The truck will almost lose control. You have to be holding on to the steering wheel when it happens or risk losing control. When I hit stutter bumps on the road the tires will bounce across the road and chirp as they skip.

 

I am not buying the payload argument as to why this truck rides the way it does. I am very unhappy with the way this 2019 rides. It was without a doubt a step in the wrong direction for GM. Maybe it has something to do with the 2 leaf springs in the rear doing all the work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Just bought a 2019 LTZ Z71, i wish i would have read this before i bought it. The truck rides terrible,bouncing all over the road, feels very unstable at high speed to the point that i'm going to lose control. At slower speed going over bumps the steering wheel shakes so bad i just can't believe this is a brand new truck. I traded my 2017 LTZ that road perfect and smooth for this piece of shit. I want another truck,i've only had it 6 days and i can't stand the junk. Anyone have any suggestions on what to do ? 

Edited by PDYoung

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, PDYoung said:

Just bought a 2019 LTZ Z71, i wish i would have read this before i bought it. The truck rides terrible,bouncing all over the road, feels very unstable at high speed to the point that i'm going to lose control. At slower speed going over bumps the steering wheel shakes so bad i just can't believe this is a brand new truck. I traded my 2017 LTZ that road perfect and smooth for this piece of shit. I want another truck,i've only had it 6 days and i can't stand the junk. Anyone have any suggestions on what to do ? 

Wow.  Did it not do that during your test drive?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can say that unfortunately I did not test drive mine long enough. I did not realize that I needed to put more miles on it then I did at the Dealership. Plus can any brand of new vehicle of any type give a true representation of it characteristics in 5 miles or less?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From what was described above I believe so.

Because on that 5-10 mile test drive your going to hit bumps, your going to get her up to a good speed and cruise. I know I did.

But, mine just does not ride nearly as bad as what has been described. 

And, I'm very sorry for you guys, that trucks do.

I know its gotta suck.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, PDYoung said:

Anyone have any suggestions on what to do ? 

Welcome to the club. Most of us are waiting for Bilstein to release a replacement for the Ranchos. They really are bad shocks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

No i didn't notice the shitty ride on my brief test drive. I was just thinking since this was an all new  designed truck, it would ride really nice. It's not just the Z71 optioned truck with it's Z71 Rancho Mono tube suspension that is  the problem ?  Do all trim levels of this new silverado ride like this ? I was thinking about replacing all the shocks with Denali shocks or a non Z71  GM double tube shock for now, at the dealers cost, until the aftermarket comes out with something. The dealership is hounding me on filling out their survey. If i don't get a smooth, non bouncy riding truck, the dealership and GM are going to get blasted on their survey.My truck is at the dealer now having a dent removed that i didn't see until i got it home and the paint on the hood cleared of some spotty fallout. They gave me a 2019 LD Silverado that is smooth as silk and doesn't bounce. This truck is the out going design. Does anyones steering wheel shake like crazy going over bumps in the road in their new T1 trucks. I can feel every bump through the steering wheel, very bad on bumpy roads. Same road with loaner truck, steering wheel feels great. WTF is going on ? 

Edited by PDYoung
Had more thoughts i needed to add

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe not Denali shocks, i just read they have Magnaride similar to what  my 2011 CTS-V has

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will say mine "loosened up" over time. When I first got it the ride was very stiff. After a couple of thousand miles it seemed to ride better. I came from a Avalanche so the ride difference was very noticable at first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.