‘16 to ‘19, “volume” trims compared, my opinions

I was a bit saddened by the amount of negative reviews and last place finishes in the comaparison tests that the new T1 trucks have been getting. Namely the one I just read in Car & Driver which compares the High Country to the other top of the line trucks. Why they didnt use a Denali seems really unfair to me as I think some of their gripes could have been addressed.

But anyway, I wanted to get my own opinion out there. I own a 2016 Sierra SLE 5.3 and as luck would have it, it’s broken, and I was given a well equipped 2019 Silverado LT 5.3 as a loaner.

Having driven it a bunch already I’d like to make some comparisons on the more “volume” level trims, instead of the top of the line stuff most magazines have gotten into.

I will try to stay out of the appearance as it’s totally subjective. Personally, I didn’t care for the new ones until I saw them in person. The design actually works for me now, although I prefer the GMC to the Silverado still.

Performance wise, the new truck with the 5.3 - 8 speed is MUCH quicker than my 5.3 - 6 speed. It’s very snappy and the shifting is much better. At first I was disappointed that they didn’t do any power increases on the V8s, but having driven it now...they don’t need to. Between the weight reduction, better tuning and better transmission programming, this is a huge improvement. DFM is also much smoother and less noticeable than the clunky AFM on my ‘16. The 5.3 sounds great too. This one has the dual exhaust and I noticed a throatier sound from the exhaust, and less actual engine / intake noise vs the ‘16. I thought the auto-stop start would annoy me but it’s not really too noticeable. I’d probably prefer it to be permanently shut off, but it’s not a deal breaker. I am not qualified to speak on the fuel economy of either truck as I don’t personally care and I don’t baby them or try to get good economy. Gas is $1.89 a gallon here.

Ride quality seems improved on the ‘19, but it is a Z71 with 18” wheels whereas my ‘16 is just a normal 4x4 with 20” wheels. Probably most of the difference I feel is in the wheels.

Interior is another place where the T1 has gotten some grief by the press. On the LT, the dash is a hard plastic, not soft like my ‘16 GMC. It also has the silver painted plastic trim which I don’t really care for, but the GMCs still get the aluminum trim which I think makes a big difference. But that’s pretty much it for the negatives. Layout and controls are pretty similar to the K2 trucks and there’s nothing wrong with that. Everything is really familiar.

On the features side of things, the T1 is definitely on the next level. Keyless go, remote opening tailgate, are a few things I really wish my ‘16 had. And FINALLY the bed lights come on when you open the tailgate!! Infotainment seems to work quicker than on the ‘16. Screen resolution maybe a little better but not much. Camera resolution seems way worse though. The other thing that I really am not happy with is the standard (not Bose) stereo. This is obviously a matter of opinion, but even with the bass turned all the way up, it really lacks a bottom end until you have the volume cranked up. It was the first thing I noticed as soon as I drove away...the standard stereo in my ‘16 has much more kick to it. Most of the sound on the ‘19 comes from the small dash speakers and I just don’t care for it at all. It sounds small and shallow. I would hope the Bose is better and I think they are really trying to push people into that option with this base model stereo.

Overall I’d have to say the ‘19 is better in just about every way. I think GM could do a bit more on the interior, and maybe a pano-roof like the other trucks offer would be nice. But overall I think it’s competive and GM loyalists like me should be happy to upgrade. I will have my ‘16 for 3 years in August and I certainly could see a ‘19 in the driveway then.

If you’re considering one but maybe were put off by certain reviews..IGNORE THEM and look for yourself. Every magazine has a bias. These are really nice trucks.

Edited by OnTheReel
  • Like 1

One things magazines can't do for you is compare dollar for dollar the truck you want to buy.  They'll compare MSRP's, but can't compare actual discounts and lot availability. 

They'll give you starting prices, and MSRPs of loaded trucks, but it is up to the buyer to decide which mid range truck is worthy of their hard earned dollars.

Edited by rkj__

I feel like I should update this. I have the loaner 2019 until tomorrow and it just threw a “Service Brake Assist” code and I lost power brakes coming out of my driveway. So my 2016 is out of commission at 25,000 miles, and now the loaner with 940 miles on it is broken. I see there is a ton of posts about the issue and it’s probably just a software problem. But I went from literally considering trading my 2016 in tomorrow, to saying...well...maybe I can wait a few months until the bugs are gone. It’s expected from a first model year I guess...