In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

TriciaF

Defective Paint - 2015 Suburban

Really?  $2k to repaint a hood? That seems like a lot just to prep/paint, as it doesn't appear to need any body work...

I purchased a certified pre-owned 2015 Chevy Tahoe LTZ in 2018.  I shortly noticed the same issue with the paint job.  The dealership got GM to paint the hood, roof, and mirror(1) under warranty.  They said that they had been seeing a lot of the same issues.  It looked as if someone took a steel brush to it.  I have since paid for the other mirror to be painted.  Now the sides below the windows  and sides beside roof (above back windows) look the same.  I know at least 3 others that have the same issues with a defective paint job. It is obviously an issue with the paint/process.  It’s ridiculous that a $70,000 vehicle looks like a crap show!

Davester, around $2000 to paint the roof and hood. I edited my original post to add the roof. The roof is not nearly as bad as the hood. 

Edited by Sherri Valenzuela
  • Like 1

Hi all, me and my wife bought a black 2016 Malibu with 0 miles back in 2016.  It's now been 4 years and it has 45000 miles on it so no warranty will cover it.  Our car wash company noticed the hood and roof getting dull and advised us to get it checked by chevy since it appears to be defective.  We called chevy customer service and they scheduled us to get it inspected at a chevy dealer near us.  Chevy dealer wants to throw the blame on the car wash company because they notice spots in the areas where it is getting dull.  It is ridiculous that we now have to repaint this new car.  Anyone find a solution with Chevy for this?

I have had the same issue with my 2017 Yukon Denali XL. I purchased this vehicle last November 18, 2019 with 36,103 miles. In September 2020, I took the vehicle to my GMC Service Center in Delray Beach, FL, and was quoted $2,100.00 to rectify the issue (ironically, another customer showed up in a black Yukon after me with the same paint issue). GMC was willing to offer a 50% incentive towards the corrective action. I contacted GMC direct for more that 5 weeks without any assistance to accomodate my concerns. My vehicle will be 3 years old in 12/2020. I've painted dozens of cars through my years, and also managed an aircraft completion center for paint/interior. There is no way that my vehicle with 46K miles is damaged due to driving. A friend of mine with an Escalade (same year) had her paint issues covered completely with Caddilac.

IMG_1425.JPG

Edited by BillGibbons
Photo included

On 11/23/2020 at 7:41 PM, BillGibbons said:

I have had the same issue with my 2017 Yukon Denali XL. I purchased this vehicle last November 18, 2019 with 36,103 miles. In September 2020, I took the vehicle to my GMC Service Center in Delray Beach, FL, and was quoted $2,100.00 to rectify the issue (ironically, another customer showed up in a black Yukon after me with the same paint issue). GMC was willing to offer a 50% incentive towards the corrective action. I contacted GMC direct for more that 5 weeks without any assistance to accomodate my concerns. My vehicle will be 3 years old in 12/2020. I've painted dozens of cars through my years, and also managed an aircraft completion center for paint/interior. There is no way that my vehicle with 46K miles is damaged due to driving. A friend of mine with an Escalade (same year) had her paint issues covered completely with Caddilac.

IMG_1425.JPG

well Cadillac dealerships tend to care about their customers more so than Chevy & GMC ones 

?

LOL

mine has same issue

i chose to cover it w/ vinyl for now.... much cheaper than the 50% discount, when they should be covering all of it....seeing how its their issue from fault in manufacturing/paint process

other problem is,  i am not sure i'd trust the dealership to paint it right.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gat0r said:

well Cadillac dealerships tend to care about their customers more so than Chevy & GMC ones 

?

LOL

mine has same issue

i chose to cover it w/ vinyl for now.... much cheaper than the 50% discount, when they should be covering all of it....seeing how its their issue from fault in manufacturing/paint process

other problem is,  i am not sure i'd trust the dealership to paint it right.

Thanks for the opinion, having the same thoughts about the dealer and also the possibility of other parts of the car becoming blemished later on down the road.

I bought a 2015 Black Suburban from the local Chevy dealership at the first of the year. The paint looked good then. Within 3 months the hood started looking dull and like the paint was scratched on the hood.  I took it to a professional detailer that has been detailing vehicles for many years and has the best reputation in this area. He tried to make it look better but said that there is something wrong with the paint on the hood and the top of the suburban.  The quote that I have from the best body shop here is $2800. 
Any suggestions from anyone that has dealt with this problem???

• Like 1

On 7/27/2020 at 10:49 AM, Nick Fraser said:

Yep - I have a 2016 Black Tahoe LT with the same issues. the hood started fading and now looks horrific. The roof has also started to go. I am getting the bums rush from both GM and the Dealer, each saying there's nothing they can do. 

I took the car to an independent for a paint evaluation, and he said every single panel will be faded within 12 months. The only remedy is to take the car down to bare metal and repaint. He said it is without doubt defective paint. 

I am about to start seeking legal action, and after reading this thread, it looks more like a class action. 

I'll post more info if I get anywhere with filing a law suit and see who wants in. 

Did you take legal action? My 2015 Yukon is doing the same thing. 

Same problem with paint defect on hood and roof of 2016 Tahoe in Mississippi.  I am a lawyer and will be preparing for a class action lawsuit against GM and possibly the dealers who had knowledge of these defects through GM bulletins sent to the dealers but failed to disclose the known defects to customers purchasing the defective vehicles.  This is fraud and conspiracy between GM and the dealers.  I will be setting up a separate email address solely for this anticipated class action lawsuit and will post the email address later.  Please stay tuned.

On 12/4/2020 at 10:36 AM, Stan Shaw said:

I bought a 2015 Black Suburban from the local Chevy dealership at the first of the year. The paint looked good then. Within 3 months the hood started looking dull and like the paint was scratched on the hood.  I took it to a professional detailer that has been detailing vehicles for many years and has the best reputation in this area. He tried to make it look better but said that there is something wrong with the paint on the hood and the top of the suburban.  The quote that I have from the best body shop here is $2800. 
Any suggestions from anyone that has dealt with this problem???

Going next week to my dealership in Delray Beach, FL  to negotiate this issue. After 3 months of dealing with GMC, they will only do 50% off the GM estimate cost.. 

I'm having the same problem with my 2016 Suburban. Clear coat started to fail after roughly 3.5 years of ownership and looks terrible now. GM and the dealership are both telling me to speak to the other. Dealership is trying to charge me close to $3k to have the roof and hood repaired.

Curious if anyone has made progress from a legal perspective as I’m interested in pursuing that.

F3FC5E84-6A24-4E84-89ED-51F3ADB16B99.jpeg

I have 2015 Tahoe with the same paint issue.  Went to the dealership, spoke with both body shop and service department managers, who both recommend I contact Chevy as the paint should not look this way.  After 3 weeks of going back and forth, and advisors from Chevy saying I should receive assistance,  I was told if I want to repair the vehicle it will be 100% out of pocket!   Any one having any luck with getting assistance?

I didn’t get any help. It’s infuriating. I paid to get just the hood repainted. I would trade it in if I wouldn’t lose so money on it. My thought is, the $500 to get the hood painted is still less than what I would lose trading it in.