In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Factory bottle jack and alternatives

I have been thinking about replacing the factory bottle jack, don’t really care for this type.  I also carry around a 3-ton jack stand for added safety if ever needed.  Something that would fit in the under-rear seat storage bin would be best.  What are folks using?  Putting the small bottle jack top under the round rear axle (as owners manual recommends) seems a bit unstable.

Bob

I needed something to jack up the truck and my travel trailer when needed so I went with this.

https://www.amazon.com/Torin-Steel-Scissor-Capacity-T10152-x/dp/B004PX8BC2/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1546870054&sr=1-1&keywords=Torin+Big+Red+Steel+Scissor+Jack%2C+1.5+Ton+(3%2C000+lb)+Capacity

You can't beat the price and I tested it on my truck and trailer. Works great!

A few decades have passed since I've needed to use a jack in a roadside emergency so I am not currently motivated to upgrade my stock equipment.   I am curious if anyone  has found the standard bottle jack to fail.  We recently learned the importance of keeping our home emergency supplies updated and I want to ensure my transportation will be dependable in an emergency!  I know the bottle jack can be impractical for frequent users and understand Op's desire to upgrade.  I want to ensure my safety equipment is safe.

1 hour ago, gearheadesw said:

As stated above, don't often use a jack, but when I'm off road, in a situation, it's nice to have some thing that will get you unstuck. And, or, change a flat anywhere. 60" high lift.

IMG_0050.JPG

Nice setup!  I frequently travelled the Alaska highway before it was paved and carried two spares and a similar jack.  Like me at the time, I assume you have custom bumpers to facilitate this type of lift system.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, gearheadesw said:

As stated above, don't often use a jack, but when I'm off road, in a situation, it's nice to have some thing that will get you unstuck. And, or, change a flat anywhere. 60" high lift.

IMG_0050.JPG

Many moons ago when I was a young pup I worked for a farmer and a hi-lift jack was in his tool arsenal. He had a rather unique name for this type of jack tho, he called them coffin jacks because if you weren't careful with them that's where they would put you.

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 7:08 AM, Jimmyc! said:

I needed something to jack up the truck and my travel trailer when needed so I went with this.

https://www.amazon.com/Torin-Steel-Scissor-Capacity-T10152-x/dp/B004PX8BC2/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1546870054&sr=1-1&keywords=Torin+Big+Red+Steel+Scissor+Jack%2C+1.5+Ton+(3%2C000+lb)+Capacity

You can't beat the price and I tested it on my truck and trailer. Works great!

I went similar but wanted more lift height.

Capture.PNG

I carry a small floor jack in the bed. It's first mission is for my boat trailer but it also works well at freeing a wedged chainsaw. I would think it could be used on the truck also, if needed.2b5061a8f704ff9c62137e28110874f5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 12:47 PM, matt_009 said:

I saw an ad for this company on facebook and have been thinking about buying one of their kits. 

https://safejacks.com 

I have seen that ad, and really like the concept of having a wide base and having it somewhat suitable for off-road use for that reason.  However, the price is up there.  I don't have space for a high lift jack and have been looking at this cheapo jack on Amazon.  On the one hand, it's so much cheaper than the safejack I'm tempted to try it, but then again, I don't want it to fail in the field when I need it most...so there's that.  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ULZGFU/?coliid=I2BJVXU0KLAU91&colid=3KNBG30GB8NWO&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it