Gorehamj

GM Rolls Out New Adverts For Silverado and Sierra - Which One Appeals To You?

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
1-7-2019

Are you tired of the dude with a clipboard and the "real people" looking surprised when the trucks they see turn out to be Chevys? If so, you will be pleased to hear that GM is taking a little break from the four-year-long "Real People, Not Actors" campaign. GM plans to bring them back, but for the coming season, Chevy is headed toward a different angle in its adverts that will show how the Silverado is the perfect truck for everyone in America. Which makes little sense since GM sells three other trucks that must be right for somebody (are we crazy?).  The spot features a variety of Silverado owners closing tailgates. 

The new advert is called "Tailgates," and we have to say we like it. The nostalgia always tugs at our heartstrings and Chevy highlighting the more modern uses for trucks instead of it always being a horse saddle rest is welcome. For more details on GM's Chevrolet Silverado advertising plans, check out this deep dive by Ad Age. What is also a bit funny though is that GMC has a new ad campaign that basically says all one piece tailgates are old-fashioned. Do the Chevy and GMC add guys talk?  

GMC's new advertising campaign is called "Step Up Like A Pro." Maybe we have been drinking the GM Kool-Aid too long, but this one sounds like a winner to us. First off, "Step up" reminds us of GM's innovative corner step. Secondly, "Like a Pro" sounds a lot like the GMC theme for the past decade that generally gives the impression that GMC trucks are "Professional Grade." The campaign highlights GMC unique multi-function tailgate and features a song you know well.  "Step Up Like A Pro is an empowering call to action that resonates with truck owners, encouraging them to reach higher in their lives and not accept the ordinary. ‘Anthem’ continues to define our GMC ‘We Are Professional Grade’ standards and signals landmark change to the industry,” said Rich Latek, director of GMC Marketing.  

GM is planning a lot of TV-football and social media buys to kick off the Silverado and Sierra campaigns.  What do you think of the adverts?

• Haha 1

Tailgates....that's it? That's why they cost so much? Tailgates? Really? 

• Like 1

I’m 63 I have no problem with the old tailgate. I did like the little cut outs on the 14 and up, didn’t need it. Wait till those things start to rattle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

power up tailgate and fold-in-the-middle tailgate are two things I will not pay more for.

I must not be the target audience.

• Like 2

I watched both videos. I really liked the second one. I would love to take that for a spin. I would like to drive the truck too.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Are you friggin kidding me? Who comes up with this stuff, I know its the same people that designed the new ugly 2020 Silverado HD. I will never buy the new 2020 HD I will go to Ram before buying the truck.

• Like 1

I've never wanted a base model more. The yuppy gadgets are getting worse.

• Like 2

Not too crazy about tailgates, but I like this one better.

• Like 3

And another one

• Like 3

I like both concepts. However, I have experiance the problem in the first (leaving my tailgate open over night because my hands were full on the last load out). I can't say the multi-function tailgate is something I can relate to, but might find it useful after I figure out for what. 

That one is much better!

Posted (edited)

My favorite is the new progressive commerical mocking Chevy. And I don't even like progressive! It's a shame they didn't use a Chevy instead of that Audi.

Edited by SnakeEyeSS
  • Haha 3

Those are some good commercials.  I like them all.  I haven't liked GM commercials in a while either.  

That's because they fired the hipster firm that was doing their commercials before.

They need to hire the "Like a Rock" guys back lol

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Bizon14
      Now that winter is over, I have noticed that when the radiator fan kicks on there is an unusual light grinding noise. I am curious if anyone has had this issue, or knows if there are readily available fan bearings that I could try to replace those before spending close to $300 on new fans.
    • By Gorehamj

John Goreham
      Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
      3-25-2019
      General Motors' new 3.0-liter six-cylinder turbo diesel engine is arriving later this year. Over the weekend GM-Trucks.com received confirmation of the new engine's specifications when in the 2019 and 2020 Silverado. 

Elizabeth Winter, Assistant Manager, GM Product and Brand Communications told us:
      I can confirm that the all-new, Duramax 3.0L inline-six turbo diesel will deliver an SAE-certified 277 hp and 460 lb-ft of torque, more than any other light-duty, full-size truck diesel available. Dealers and customers can place orders for the efficient, refined diesel and the first customer deliveries begin this summer. We will share more information, including towing capacity and efficiency, in the near future. It is priced identically to the 6.2L V-8 as a $2,495 premium over a 5.3L V-8 model (or $3,890 over a 2.7L Turbo model) making the 3.0L Duramax the most affordable light-duty diesel engine on the market.

GM has said previously that the Silverado's new 3.0-turbo diesel engine have start/stop technology and will be paired with a 10-speed transmission. By comparison, Ford's Power Stroke diesel, arriving in May, offers 250 horsepower and 440 lb.-ft. of torque. The 2019 Ram has not yet received its updated diesel engine. The 2018 diesel engine offerings specs were 240 horsepower and 420 lb.-ft. of torque.

We will bring you more information as it is made available. 
    • By YogiC
      trying to put together a swap for a 75 custom deluxe and was wanting the 6l80 transmission for the efficiency. would it work with a 4th gen 2005 5.3 out of a silverado? 
    • By 14AllTerrainSC
      See a lot of questions asked about this and not a lot of set info on the upgrade.  Hope this helps even anyone trying to set it up.

**READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS AND WATCH ALL VIDEOS PRIOR TO ATTEMPTING PURCHASING OR INSTALLATION**

Apple CarPlay / Android Auto functionality is not supported in any 2014-2015 (Many 2016) Silverado/Sierra’s. This is due to neither application being available from Google or Apple when these vehicles being built, therefore not an available option during these model years. The following instructions are designed to simplify the process as much as possible.

Three things are required for this upgrade (ONE) Radio Module, (ONE) HMI Module, and (ONE) USB Hub 2016+.

Search around for the modules, they are available for purchase from many different locations. EBay, totaled vehicles, junkyards, or other various websites to find them. AGAIN, if the part numbers are not listed below DO NOT purchase them.

It is highly encouraged to not try and cut corners with purchasing part numbers of modules not listed as they cannot be flashed to work properly.

**DISCONNECT THE BATTERY PRIOR TO INSTALLING FRESHLY UPDATED MODULES**

TOOLS REQUIRED:
      Trim Removal tool
      10 mm Socket
      7 mm Socket

PARTS REQUIRED
      USB HUB P/N 13519224 (BLACK) P/N 13509943 (WHITE)

HMI Module
      USE ONE OF THE BELOW P/N’S IF YOUR TRUCK CAME FROM THE FACTORY WITH NAVIGATION. ONLY REQUIRED TO PURCHASE ONE P/N.

USE ONE OF THE BELOW P/N’S IF YOUR TRUCK CAME FROM THE FACTORY WITHOUT NAVIGATION. ONLY REQUIRED TO PURCHASE ONE P/N.

RADIO MODULE

USE ONE OF THE BELOW P/N’S IF YOUR TRUCK CAME FROM THE FACTORY WITH BOSE. ONLY REQUIRED TO PURCHASE ONE P/N.

USE ONE OF THE BELOW P/N’S IF YOUR TRUCK CAME FROM THE FACTORY WITHOUT BOSE. ONLY REQUIRED TO PURCHASE ONE P/N.

Once acquiring the parts you can now send them to be flashed. These modules will be flashed to your VIN and will then be plug and play. Copy the link and follow the prompts.  

http://www.whiteautoandmedia.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=98&category_id=44&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=54

If you have followed all the directions up and to this point, select yes for hardware match. You can chose if you would like the maps updated on your NAV if you so choose. You will be emailed your order number from WAMS, this is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT. You will be required to ship your parts either FedEx or UPS, they will not accept packages from USPS. You will need to write your order number on the box to ensure your order is properly handled. Turn around is approximately one week from shipment to return. ONLY ship your (ONE) Radio Module and (ONE) HMI Module. Maintain your USB Hub.

Once you have received your parts from WAMS you can begin installation. Disconnect your battery prior to installation.

To install the radio module watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2MYuuyqLrs. For the purpose of this install start the video at 1:00. Stop the video at 2:04, the radio module is visible with a green connector on the far left. Simply begin disconnecting all of the connectors plugged into the module, once all are removed you can slide the module out of the dash. It is retained only by the tension of the cables plugged into it. Replace with your new module, you can now continue the video and finish putting the dash back together. Stop the video at 4:10.

To install the HMI Module watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFe2gwlOsD4. Stop the video at 2:00. The module being described behind the crossbar is what you are replacing. Remove all connectors, the module is retained with a plastic clip on top. Installing the module along with the glove box, is self explanatory.

Take note of the plastic tabs on the sides of the USB Hub you are preparing to install. Those tabs can be depressed with a dental pick and gradually removed out of place. Once removed, disconnect the harness and reconnect. Installation is now complete. You can now reconnect your battery and start your vehicle. Initial start up might take a few seconds to initialize, and temperature defaulting to 32 degrees is normal. Android Auto and Apple CarPlay require hardwire connection, so to test functionality it needs to be connected to the newly installed USB hub.    

MVI Inc (https://www.gm-navigation.com/) offers kits and other customization options if the above is not something you feel comfortable acquiring on your own.

Hope this helps, should be pretty cut and dry. There might be other methods, but this was the cheapest I discovered. If you have any questions don’t hesitate to ask.