GM Rolls Out New Adverts For Silverado and Sierra - Which One Appeals To You?

Gorehamj

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
1-7-2019

Are you tired of the dude with a clipboard and the "real people" looking surprised when the trucks they see turn out to be Chevys? If so, you will be pleased to hear that GM is taking a little break from the four-year-long "Real People, Not Actors" campaign. GM plans to bring them back, but for the coming season, Chevy is headed toward a different angle in its adverts that will show how the Silverado is the perfect truck for everyone in America. Which makes little sense since GM sells three other trucks that must be right for somebody (are we crazy?).  The spot features a variety of Silverado owners closing tailgates. 

The new advert is called "Tailgates," and we have to say we like it. The nostalgia always tugs at our heartstrings and Chevy highlighting the more modern uses for trucks instead of it always being a horse saddle rest is welcome. For more details on GM's Chevrolet Silverado advertising plans, check out this deep dive by Ad Age. What is also a bit funny though is that GMC has a new ad campaign that basically says all one piece tailgates are old-fashioned. Do the Chevy and GMC add guys talk?  

GMC's new advertising campaign is called "Step Up Like A Pro." Maybe we have been drinking the GM Kool-Aid too long, but this one sounds like a winner to us. First off, "Step up" reminds us of GM's innovative corner step. Secondly, "Like a Pro" sounds a lot like the GMC theme for the past decade that generally gives the impression that GMC trucks are "Professional Grade." The campaign highlights GMC unique multi-function tailgate and features a song you know well.  "Step Up Like A Pro is an empowering call to action that resonates with truck owners, encouraging them to reach higher in their lives and not accept the ordinary. ‘Anthem’ continues to define our GMC ‘We Are Professional Grade’ standards and signals landmark change to the industry,” said Rich Latek, director of GMC Marketing.  

GM is planning a lot of TV-football and social media buys to kick off the Silverado and Sierra campaigns.  What do you think of the adverts?

• Haha 1

I’m 63 I have no problem with the old tailgate. I did like the little cut outs on the 14 and up, didn’t need it. Wait till those things start to rattle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I like both concepts. However, I have experiance the problem in the first (leaving my tailgate open over night because my hands were full on the last load out). I can't say the multi-function tailgate is something I can relate to, but might find it useful after I figure out for what.