Gorehamj

GM Rolls Out New Adverts For Silverado and Sierra - Which One Appeals To You?

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
1-7-2019

Are you tired of the dude with a clipboard and the "real people" looking surprised when the trucks they see turn out to be Chevys? If so, you will be pleased to hear that GM is taking a little break from the four-year-long "Real People, Not Actors" campaign. GM plans to bring them back, but for the coming season, Chevy is headed toward a different angle in its adverts that will show how the Silverado is the perfect truck for everyone in America. Which makes little sense since GM sells three other trucks that must be right for somebody (are we crazy?).  The spot features a variety of Silverado owners closing tailgates. 

The new advert is called "Tailgates," and we have to say we like it. The nostalgia always tugs at our heartstrings and Chevy highlighting the more modern uses for trucks instead of it always being a horse saddle rest is welcome. For more details on GM's Chevrolet Silverado advertising plans, check out this deep dive by Ad Age. What is also a bit funny though is that GMC has a new ad campaign that basically says all one piece tailgates are old-fashioned. Do the Chevy and GMC add guys talk?  

GMC's new advertising campaign is called "Step Up Like A Pro." Maybe we have been drinking the GM Kool-Aid too long, but this one sounds like a winner to us. First off, "Step up" reminds us of GM's innovative corner step. Secondly, "Like a Pro" sounds a lot like the GMC theme for the past decade that generally gives the impression that GMC trucks are "Professional Grade." The campaign highlights GMC unique multi-function tailgate and features a song you know well.  "Step Up Like A Pro is an empowering call to action that resonates with truck owners, encouraging them to reach higher in their lives and not accept the ordinary. ‘Anthem’ continues to define our GMC ‘We Are Professional Grade’ standards and signals landmark change to the industry,” said Rich Latek, director of GMC Marketing.  

GM is planning a lot of TV-football and social media buys to kick off the Silverado and Sierra campaigns.  What do you think of the adverts?

• Haha 1

Tailgates....that's it? That's why they cost so much? Tailgates? Really? 

• Like 1

I’m 63 I have no problem with the old tailgate. I did like the little cut outs on the 14 and up, didn’t need it. Wait till those things start to rattle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

power up tailgate and fold-in-the-middle tailgate are two things I will not pay more for.

I must not be the target audience.

• Like 2

I watched both videos. I really liked the second one. I would love to take that for a spin. I would like to drive the truck too.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Are you friggin kidding me? Who comes up with this stuff, I know its the same people that designed the new ugly 2020 Silverado HD. I will never buy the new 2020 HD I will go to Ram before buying the truck.

• Like 1

I've never wanted a base model more. The yuppy gadgets are getting worse.

• Like 2

Not too crazy about tailgates, but I like this one better.

• Like 3

And another one

• Like 3

I like both concepts. However, I have experiance the problem in the first (leaving my tailgate open over night because my hands were full on the last load out). I can't say the multi-function tailgate is something I can relate to, but might find it useful after I figure out for what. 

That one is much better!

Posted (edited)

My favorite is the new progressive commerical mocking Chevy. And I don't even like progressive! It's a shame they didn't use a Chevy instead of that Audi.

Edited by SnakeEyeSS
  • Haha 3

Those are some good commercials.  I like them all.  I haven't liked GM commercials in a while either.  

That's because they fired the hipster firm that was doing their commercials before.

They need to hire the "Like a Rock" guys back lol

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Hdchevyclassic
      Need some opinions on what the heck is going on with my 2007 silverado classic. It has a 4.8 litre vortec with an afe cold air intake, edge cts2 programmer, gibson shorty headers, and a 3 inch catback exhuast. I have the code p0430 coming up but cant figure out what it is. Ive done a back pressure test on the cats, and did knock sensors and all O2 sensors a year ago. It doesnt feel like it has a misfire and im very mechanically inclined and everything in this truck is looked after. When i bought it there was a 4wd code and it wouldnt engage so i swapped out the button cluster in the cab and now it works fine. Other than that the truck has been perfect but id like to figure out what the heck is setting off the code. I have no exhuast leaks and the cats checked out perfect, anyone know what else it could be? Im looking for anything at this point, i hate check engine lights and have cleared it with the programmer but it comes back very shortly after being cleared. Thanks
    • By Jaybridge88
      Just wanted to share my experience with Anthem Off Road wheels from them messing up my order to the wheel finish coming off not even 2 years later. They market themselves as a rugged America  offroad company that stands by their product. Which sold me. Plus I didn’t  want to have the same wheels as everyone else.  I purchased a set of wheels from them and went ahead and bought tires and TPSM to go with them. The tires I could of got cheaper locally, but then I would have to go to the shop and have them put on. So I opted to pay their higher price for tires so I could get the wheels with tires mounted and balanced, TPMS already installed. All I had to do was bolt them on my truck. Received the wheels. Bolted them on just to find that they didn’t install the TPSM. Had to wait a week for them to ship them to me. Then had to go to a tire shop to have them installed. The shop ended up scratching 3 of my brand new rims. I called and complained about the whole situation and they basically said “well we didn’t recommended that tire shop to you”. I guess they couldn’t realize none of this would of happened if they did their job in the first place and installed the TPSM in the first place. 

Fast forward 1.5 years and I started noticing the clearcoat coming off one of the wheels. After a month or so all 4 wheels had the clear coat peeling off. I posted a question about the finish coming off on their Facebook page. Another costumer chimed in and said their clear was peeling off also. Then our comments were deleted. I commented again. Again, my comment was deleted. 

I looked at at their website for the first time since I purchased wheels for them. I noticed they now offer a wheel protection kit that contains cleaners and ceramic coating. This wasn’t offered back when I bought my wheels. Which leads me to believe they have had more than just me complaining about their clear peeling off. 

Has as anyone else had experience with anthem off road? Regular real customers. Not their “brand ambassadors” which is a new marketing scheme they started where they create a whole group of Social media sales people by offering them their rims for a discounted price. In return those people promote the wheels online and try to push people to buy their sub par wheels. I’m talking real customers using their rims in real life, everyday applications. 

Thanks
    • By Nikko
      About to install a 2" motofab under strut leveling kit on monday, but am very concerned with torque specs. I can't find the exact torque specs for everything I need, and I don't even know how important it is for everything to be torqued exactly to specs. It's a 2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ, 4x4. 

How important is it to be precise when torqueing? Does anyone know where to find all the exact torque specs for my make and model? Has anyone ever done one before, and can you provide insight?

Thanks.
    • By CertainDriver
      Hello everyone,

I recently bought this clean title, high mileage 2000 Silverado LS Z71 from my coworker. It was right before Christmas and I really wanted to help the guy out knowing full well I could do something with it. Heck, I needed a truck after all. I get home and attempt to drain the oil but nothing comes out. After some poking around with a screwdriver, I get it to drain. Chunks are flowing along with the oil and it turns out there was so much sludge build up in the bottom of the pan, it sucked some up, suffered a momentary loss of oil pressure and spun the bearing. I know the transmission had a hard shift from first to second. Could it be low fluid? Maybe, but why do the swap just to find out the transmission is bad?
      My coworker friend was a smoker and it appears he preferred his coffee without a lid so the interior is....interesting. Also truck only has oxidation on the hood and fenders so the only reasonable choice was to find a salvaged donor vehicle to source parts from!!
      I have a buddy with a dealers license and I'm debating picking up this rear ended 2006 Escalade for a FULL front end/interior/dash/drivetrain swap. Can it be done? Plug and play? Anything someone doing something like this should know?
      I've done some pretty crazy engine swaps and garage rebuilds, 2 stroke porting early on, etc. 

I have the ability but hopefully you folks can chime in and confirm whether or not it is possible or if there is a better option. I was also looking at a 2004 Duramax/6speed which was t-boned pretty good as a potential candidate but there's something about that plush Escalade interior....

• By DougFL
      The end of December, I noticed a small amount of oil on the garage floor under the front of rear differential of my 2WD, 2019 High Country.   It appeared to be a pinion seal leak.  The Dealership concurred and ordered a new front yoke and pinion seal.  Today, the Dealership called and informed me that GM did not have the parts so they sent a Complete new rear Differential as a replacement!!  Now they need my truck for a Full day to swap rear ends.   Appears to be an EXPENSIVE way to replace a $10 part, but GM must know Best!?