Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Recommended Posts

Hey guys,

 

Sorry if this has been already posted or discussed before! My dad and I put on longtube headers on my 2014 silverado. We had a helluva time getting the driver side header on from the bottom - up. So we decided to disconnect the steering shaft to give myself room to drop the header down. We got it all installed with relative ease after that and tightened down both bolts on the steering shaft. The next day I tried to remote start my truck and the once I press the remote start, my lights flash as if the truck recognizes it but doesn't try to turnover or anything. The steering is fine once I start the truck, but I noticed that my steering wheel gets locked more often now and I have to giggle the wheel back and forth to unlock the ignition to get my key in. I was wondering if anyone had advice or a video or putting the steering shaft together and see what we did wrong. Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, GGIBBard said:

Hey guys,

 

Sorry if this has been already posted or discussed before! My dad and I put on longtube headers on my 2014 silverado. We had a helluva time getting the driver side header on from the bottom - up. So we decided to disconnect the steering shaft to give myself room to drop the header down. We got it all installed with relative ease after that and tightened down both bolts on the steering shaft. The next day I tried to remote start my truck and the once I press the remote start, my lights flash as if the truck recognizes it but doesn't try to turnover or anything. The steering is fine once I start the truck, but I noticed that my steering wheel gets locked more often now and I have to giggle the wheel back and forth to unlock the ignition to get my key in. I was wondering if anyone had advice or a video or putting the steering shaft together and see what we did wrong. Thanks

Remote start will usually not work because there has been a code thrown. Have you seen the CEL come on? Would think it is more to do with the headers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

Remote start will usually not work because there has been a code thrown. Have you seen the CEL come on? Would think it is more to do with the headers.

Thanks for the reply... I just unbolted the shaft and double checked it. Looks like I had the wheel cocked prior and its fine now. Yes the CEL is on, I'm running catless exhaust. I knew that it would trip a code, but I didn't know that would affect the remote start (I feel very stupid now). I'm going to buy some O2 sensor spacers as a cheap solution and hope that it tricks the O2 sensor. Thanks again

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, GGIBBard said:

Thanks for the reply... I just unbolted the shaft and double checked it. Looks like I had the wheel cocked prior and its fine now. Yes the CEL is on, I'm running catless exhaust. I knew that it would trip a code, but I didn't know that would affect the remote start (I feel very stupid now). I'm going to buy some O2 sensor spacers as a cheap solution and hope that it tricks the O2 sensor. Thanks again

You are very welcome. Easiest way to tell that something is wrong with your truck is when the remote start does not work. Good luck, the emissions on these trucks are hard to fool. 

Edited by JimCost2014
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Similar Content

    • By jwhitesides
      My reverse lights are staying on:
      When in park When in drive When the ignition is off  
      I have removed fuse #33 in the engine compartment fuse box which kills power to the revers lights to keep from killing my battery. This also keeps my reverse camera from turning on when in reverse also.
       
      I have unplugged the backup camera thinking this was causing a bad ground with no success.
       
      I don't see where a relay might be that could be bad/stuck.
       
      This is a interment problem which points to ground or relay issue somewhere but I don't know where to look.
    • By Apache32Bravo
      Bought this vehicle brand new. I love it, and perfect for myself, my family, and the fact it's Diesel puts the cherry on top for me. But... now things have started. We have currently 1,137 miles on the vehicle and had the first message populated:
       
      - Service steering column lock. (see photo)
       
      Everything else worked, remote start, standard start, and the vehicle had zero issues. The following day from our road trip, we had to go to the DMV with our out-of-state paperwork to submit for plates. My wife now received a new message. 
       
      - Service emissions system. See owners manual. (see photo)
       
      She drove to the DMV and left to get the smog paperwork. Then a new issue: 
       
      - Vehicle remote start isn't working. (see photo)
       
      She is in the car and tries to start... Nothing. She tries again. It starts, and she drives it to a local dealer. They come to look and scheduled us for an appointment. She drives the vehicle now, and Onstar now shows the emission issue. ( see photo ) We now can't register the vehicle in California, because, the check engine light is on, emissions warning, and they won't smog it until it's corrected. 
       
      Awesome... 
       
      I noticed that none of these issues happened until it updated the software in the vehicle. I'm hoping this is something that can be fixed. I've been looking around for answers and only finding more issues that are all pretty shitty. Sorry, no better way to say it. I've also seen a post of people saying, “deal with it, it's a new breed of vehicles,” etc. I’d challenge that answer. No one should pay this much for a vehicle and face these issues I'm reading about. 
       
      So here's what I'm going to do, document everything, and I mean everything. This will be for everyone who may have this issue now or who may come across it. 
       
      My opinion...but I'm not a mechanic, is that there is a massive software and hardware issue with these models. I believe GM internally has to know about this from Dealers, Customer Service, Compliance Reports, etc. I'm sure all issues are in the queue to be address or fixed. I do, however, feel with the challenges of physical hardware that they chose a vendor that was most cost-effective, which is a component of these issues a long with the capability to support the software complexity of the current models. 
       
      Or maybe I'm just wearing a tin hat, who knows. 
       
      So, I open this up to you. Any advice, similar issues, outcomes you've faced, and other topics, please comment below. 
       
      May the journey of dealership visits begin. Hopefully, this journey isn't to long. 



    • By 1guy2trucks
      My 2015 Silverado 1500 4x4 crew cab has about 110000 miles on it. It just started having an issue that I cannot seem to fix. The engine stays running when I turn the key to the off position and remove it. The accessories turn off normally and the RAP seems to be working. Meaning the radio and things turn off when I open the door....this truck is all stuck with the exception of a light bar. I’ve already pulled the light bar fuse at the battery hookup to see if that had anything to do with it and it made no change. Any ideas? Thanks
      64187634141__38D880EE-87ED-4441-B214-B90E348CB1F8.MOV
    • By Santiago Lopez
      I believe that's a rod knock. But a friend told me it was a lifter tick and now I am confused which one is it.
      What you guys think? 
      My 2014 Silverado 5.3 z71
      20210120_194156_1.mp4
    • By mikus
      I recently bought a 2020 Trail Boss and whenever I remote start the vehicle, the A/C is blowing on high, how can I disable this  or Adjust this?  
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

    241.5k
    Total Topics
    1.4m
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

    305,779
    Total Members
    8,960
    Most Online
    Bobby Rabon
    Newest Member
    Bobby Rabon
    Joined


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.