6.2L Yes or No

1 hour ago, aseibel said:

I see no point to it unless you are trying to burn money or you actually need a few more HP for towing. For normal driving, the 5.3 is more than adequate. But you do what makes you happy.

Side note: are they geared the same? taller gear ratio will save fuel on freeway but make it feel slower off the line. If the trucks you are comparing don't have the same ratio, then that's going to drastically affect the "seat-of-your-pants" feel.

This question has been asked before. you can read a bunch of more comments here:

The post referenced here was my post, and I have to say, since getting the 6.2 over the 5.3, I am happy as can be and have all of the power that I want to navigate traffic and still have a very comfortable ride.  I won't go back even with the fuel premium.

1 minute ago, mfennema said:

The post referenced here was my post, and I have to say, since getting the 6.2 over the 5.3, I am happy as can be and have all of the power that I want to navigate traffic and still have a very comfortable ride.  I won't go back even with the fuel premium.

yeah, you are like most of the others who chose to get the 6.2 because you wanted the bigger engine. you won't be unhappy with it. I'm just on the other side where I'd rather save the $2-3k for something else that gives me more pleasure than a slightly bigger engine. This debate is really "wants" vs. "needs". Not many people actually "need" the 6.2, but everyone wants it. I'd choose it if cost were the same, lol.

• Like 1

I have the 5.3 and I really like it.. I'm 58 and not much of a peddle to the metal guy these days.. That being said, if I had the choice of a 6.2 on the lot for a couple of G's more when I bought my 2017, I would have gone for it.  If I had ordered my truck I would have gotten the 6.2.

Edited by Loco-diablo

Test drive one of each, with the same gears and your mind (and rear-end) will make the choice. I had the 5.3 and now the 6.2 and the difference is really hard to describe. I think where it really shines is in moving these heavy trucks down the road or up a hill...the 5.3 works just fine, the 6.2 just does it with so much less effort. It's not about muscle car status, there are other more powerful trucks out there...this engine just goes about it's business and seems to love doing it. As mentioned, I too get better mileage with the 6.2 but make no mistake, if you're buying it to just haul a$$ (and you don't seem to want it for that) you will pay at the pump. 

2 minutes ago, Loco-diablo said:

I have the 5.3 and I really like it.. I'm 58 and not much of a peddle to the metal guy these days.. That being said, if I had the choice of a 6.2 on the lot for a couple of G's more when I bought my 2017, I would have gone for it. 

Well said...and for what it's worth, you don't even need to put the pedal to the metal, it's that good :thumbs:

My previous trucks were the following.. 

2014 Sierra w/ 5.3 (stock)

2016 Sierra w/ 6.2 (tuned with other mods) 

Current 2019 Silverado - 5.3 (stock) 

I will say my old 6.2 was a beast and would fly. But again it was also tuned, with other mods. However, I'm impressed by the new 2019 with the 5.3. I really believe if this new truck was tuned like the old one..  the speed difference would be marginal.  It's really even marginal right now stock if you want my honest opinion.  As said, the new 2019 trucks are 400lbs lighter.. this does make a difference. Also, some have reported the new 2019 6.2 trucks are slightly slower than previous year..don't know if this is true (maybe due to the new 10 speed?)

In short.. I don't miss my 6.2 at all... this new truck has plenty of zip. Especially don't miss the premium fuel it required 

Again, just my opinion from someone that has owned a lot of GM trucks. 

Problem is the 5.3 is extremly lethargic. Especially rolling acceleration.  Same gas Milage as 6.2. Save your mod money and get a 6.2. I’d rather have a stock 6.2 then a modified 5.3. Simple. 

I bought my truck for the Texas Edition package. It was color match, highly option and bargain priced. If it was available as an option I would have gotten the 6.2. The next available 6.2 was 15K more when I was looking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 5.3 and I think it's fine. I don't need the power to tow anything but my boat. For the extra money, I think that is cheap to get the 6.2 (cheap being that it's factory power)

I wanted a truck, so I got the one I liked. If I were buying a  muscle car, then yes I would buy the bigger motor... always did [emoji4]
I got a muscle car that looks like a truck. [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I'm in the same boat, having said that my dealer told me and I've read that premium is not a requirement but is suggested.  Know guys that run regular octane in there 6.2 with no noticeable difference.  ic; mileage, power.

???