6.2L Yes or No

39 minutes ago, 2fst4u said:

I'm in the same boat, having said that my dealer told me and I've read that premium is not a requirement but is suggested.  Know guys that run regular octane in there 6.2 with no noticeable difference.  ic; mileage, power.

???

Considering the compression ratio the 5.3 and 6.2 are running, to me anything less than 89 octane is not well advised.  Yes the computer takes care of things but lets face it, compression is compression and the higher the octane the better. Why have the ECM work overtime when it doesn't have too.

22 hours ago, goose hunter said:

Well folks it's time to make my move, and so is the 6.2L worth the extra 2500.00$....I'm ordering a LTZ and have to stop debating.....2500 extra and premium gas.....mmmmmm

Thanks for reading.....                   GH

The post is now 3 pages deep, have you made your decision yet? Lots of fans for the 6.2, you should join the club!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

D / V = T

(S * 5280) / 3600 = V fps

(V [fps] / T [seconds]) / 32.174 = Gravitational Force

HP = Weight / (ET/5.825)3

Some Newtonian Physics:

2015 RCSB 2WD curb weight is 4521 lbs. Add 479 for driver and fuel = 5,000 lbs.

Using the above formulas the power to accelerate this mass to a 15 second quarter mile pass is 250 hp. About what the 4.3 V6 dyno’s at the rear wheels stock.

Quarter mile speed at a 15 second ET is @ 88 mph or 129 fps.

129 fps in 15 seconds is roughly a quart G of acceleration.

Follow this closely:

No matter which motor you have or how much power it makes a quarter G of acceleration FEELS the same.

For you E85 fueled supercharged 6.2 to FEEL PEPPIER you have to exceed a quarter G of acceleration. I submit that anyone saying they driving their truck on the street day in day out over a quarter G is a liar, the village idiot or both and will soon be without a license or jailed or both best case, dead worst case.

What you will do with a 6.2 is drive it more aggressively but what Newton has just explained to you is quite something else.

Most sane and licensed drivers don’t assault the street where our children live and play like every need to accelerate requires a full on quarter mile assault.

A 5.3 in the heaviest factory combination. CCSB will give similar performance. 

Were a 6.2 IS useful is when towing HEAVY. Big travel trailer? Car hauler? Live above 10,000 feet? Go for it. :seeya:

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

D / V = T

(S * 5280) / 3600 = V fps

(V [fps] / T [seconds]) / 32.174 = Gravitational Force

HP = Weight / (ET/5.825)3

Some Newtonian Physics:

2015 RCSB 2WD curb weight is 4521 lbs. Add 479 for driver and fuel = 5,000 lbs.

Using the above formulas the power to accelerate this mass to a 15 second quarter mile pass is 250 hp. About what the 4.3 V6 dyno’s at the rear wheels stock.

Quarter mile speed at a 15 second ET is @ 88 mph or 129 fps.

129 fps in 15 seconds is roughly a quart G of acceleration.

Follow this closely:

No matter which motor you have or how much power it makes a quarter G of acceleration FEELS the same.

For you E85 fueled supercharged 6.2 to FEEL PEPPIER you have to exceed a quarter G of acceleration. I submit that anyone saying they driving their truck on the street day in day out over a quarter G is a liar, the village idiot or both and will soon be without a license or jailed or both best case, dead worst case.

What you will do with a 6.2 is drive it more aggressively but what Newton has just explained to you is quite something else.

Most sane and licensed drivers don’t assault the street where our children live and play like every need to accelerate requires a full on quarter mile assault.

A 5.3 in the heaviest factory combination. CCSB will give similar performance. 

Were a 6.2 IS useful is when towing HEAVY. Big travel trailer? Car hauler? Live above 10,000 feet? Go for it. :seeya:

I think your on crack.  My '18 6.2 FEELS way faster than my '15 5.3 did.   I can hop in a friends tuned 5.3 ccsb and can notice a difference.  That that theory looks good on paper but not in real life. 

• Like 2

On ‎2019‎-‎01‎-‎08 at 7:42 PM, goose hunter said:

Well folks it's time to make my move, and so is the 6.2L worth the extra 2500.00$....I'm ordering a LTZ and have to stop debating.....2500 extra and premium gas.....mmmmmm

Thanks for reading.....                   GH

IMO, It's a significant amount of money to spend initially and in the future at the pump for the difference in function the 6.2 will provide.  However, like many others on this forum. you will probably be happier knowing you have the biggest motor and GM will be happy to upsell you.  The 5.3 would likely exceed all of your needs and the money saved may give you even more tangible enjoyment.   I will/would only pay extra for an optional engine if the higher tow rating is/may be required.  

If you daily drive you truck to run errands and what not I love the 6.2.  It is much more enjoyable to drive.  If I needed a truck just to use as a truck and haul stuff, a 5.3 would be fine. 

Edited by SILVER SLED

K.I.S.S. Keep it simple stupid. :)

A lot of info and opinions.

My 2 cents.

Comes down to what your priority is.

If the money for the extra up front cost and added fuel cost is not a factor, do it.

If you want the power when needed, do it.

When I bought my used truck the bigger motor was never considered.

My 2012 5.3 L lives above 8 K feet.

It works for me.

When I tow there are a few grades I pull that the extra H.P. would be nice but I'm not in a hurry.

Good Luck

:)

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

bComes down to what your priority is.

If the money for the extra up front cost and added fuel cost is not a factor, do it.

Well said... These three lines answer the OP question and sum up the 3 pages of posts quite well.  

I was faced with the same decision a while back and ended up drinking the Kool Aid and pulled the trigger like many the others on here going from a 5.3 to 6.2, so you know my opinion already which may be just a little biased ;)

5 hours ago, j-ten-ner said:

Hey grumpy,

You've got it all wrong!

It's about surviving the merge onto the highway.

:rolleyes:

so long

j-ten-ner

So you believe that 'survival depends on "speed" or "acceleration"? Never mind, it's a rhetorical question. Let me assure you that Pepper is capable of over 90 mph in the length of an Interstate diamond on ramp and fast enough to drift a cloverleaf. While I've never hit the speed limiter they all have one at 98 mph. Hint: Safety, IF that is really the concern is about neither speed nor acceleration rate. GM does not yet offer 'safety minded attitude' as an RPO option. And they won't, they try to insulate you from danger instead. You such the JOKER J-ten-ner :thumbs:

4 hours ago, SILVER SLED said:

I think your on crack.  My '18 6.2 FEELS way faster than my '15 5.3 did.   I can hop in a friends tuned 5.3 ccsb and can notice a difference.  That that theory looks good on paper but not in real life. 

FEEL is a perception that has little to do with reality. Ever drive a professional Go-Kart? Ride a motorcycle to 180 mph without a helmet in shorts, bare chested and sandals vs with a helmet in race leather then tell me how physics is a theory and FEEL makes the law of God invalid. Newton didn't invent the physics of motion, he discovered them. You don't like the law take it up with the lawgiver and tell him he's on crack. :lol: I just repeated what you learned if you graduated eight grade. 

I didn't say to anyone that the 6.2 wont out accelerate the 4.3. I said the 4.3 will accelerate briskly enough to produce a 15 second pass which is faster than anyone drives day in day out. I also noted that WEIGHT is a deal breaker and heavy trailering work would make the 6.2 a good choice. A Duramax even better given enough load. 

3 hours ago, diyer2 said:

K.I.S.S. Keep it simple stupid. :)

A lot of info and opinions.

My 2 cents.

Comes down to what your priority is.

When I bought my used truck the bigger motor was never considered.

My 2012 5.3 L lives above 8 K feet.

It works for me.

When I tow there are a few grades I pull that the extra H.P. would be nice but I'm not in a hurry.

Good Luck

:)

Exactly :thumbs:

Jezzz people are testy today. 

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 1

It took me a loooong time to figure out, you spend a lot more time at speed than getting up to speed. The money I spent over the years chasing HP to get there faster was rarely used and for the most part wasted. Probably still would have done it, maybe a little less. I do find it amusing that the HP guys will for the most part say the other guys are stupid for not spending the extra money. That’s pretty rich, as my son would say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I can guarantee you that the $2500 extra for the 6.2 will depreciate slower than any other money spent on the truck.

And it's not just about the larger engine with the additional horsepower and towing capacity...it's also about the 10 speed transmission. 

The post from Grumpy Bear is just absurd though. As if people are assessing their vehicles based on the theoretical G forces they can produce at maximum output! It's all about ease of acceleration Grumpy Bear, I don't see many people drag racing their lifted pickups. And no, the 5.3 doesn't accelerate as easy as the 6.2.

• Like 1