6.2L Yes or No

Don't be grumpy, Grumpy. If one truck runs a 14 flat in the quarter mile, and another round it in 13 seconds flat. Which one is creating a higher g load on acceleration?? You're trying to tell us you can't feel that in the seat of your pants? We'll use your falling off a cliff idea, one one person weighs 150lbs, the other, 250. They jump off your cliff, they hit the ground at the same time, who hits harder.  Quit being so downgrading, you might know physics, but your comment sense is screwy.

6 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

BULL and I quote, "It's all about ease of acceleration Grumpy Bear"

What this statement says is that  250 hp. delivered by a 6.2 is somehow able to accelerate the same mass with some SENSORY perception or FEEL of greater ease or quantitatively to a GREATER RATE of acceleration than 250 hp. delivered by a 4.3. That sir is ignorance.  That was my statement which you called, what was that again? Absurd? I placed nothing in your mouth. Your error is your own. I most assuredly noted that when I addressed the fact the a quarter G of acceleration is quite brisk and that additional rates where inappropriate for the streets. In that; it doesn't matter if you 6.2 makes 1,000 hp and a half ton of torque. A quarter G is a quarter G no matter how much excess you have on tap. IN fact I flat out call you a liar if you summit that your normal mode of operation is quicker than a 4.3 held to the matt continuously. That is what you are trying to make us believe. You have to exceed that limit to make your statement true. 

There is nothing arrogant about understanding something you are ignorant of and the ability to explain it. That sir is education. One any bright eight grade has.

As for the rest I see you failed debate as well as physics. I would have addressed the 'substance' of your comment had there been any. There is a strawman :lol: 

Let me put this simply: You're wrong. You're talking about all sorts of silly bullshit that has nothing to do with my point. Erecting more strawmen. 

You continue to assume people are judging the power of their engine based on the amount of G forces it can create at WOT. This is laughable. Nobody drives their truck at WOT. 

You said: "IN fact I flat out call you a liar if you summit that your normal mode of operation is quicker than a 4.3 held to the matt continuously. "

Putting aside the embarrassing grammatical and spelling mistakes in your assertion: You're comparing a 6.2 in "normal mode" to a 5.3 "held to the matt"? Thank you for proving my point. With one engine you can generate in "normal mode" what the other engine puts out in WOT. That's a difference in ease of acceleration. 

Edited by SierraAT4

One important fact that’s undeniable. You’re not going to feel full acceleration with either engine. Traction control cuts in even turned off. Even at a 30 my traction control light would flash with a 5.3. So really no ones feeling the full effects of either engine.

Good Lord, this is starting to remind me of Goldilocks and the three Bears. The 4.3 is too weak, the 6.2 is too strong but the 5.3 is jussssst right. Dang guys, if you like your porridge a tad cool, eat the 4.3...if you like it what many feel is just right scarf down on the 5.3 and if you like it hot chow down on the 6.2 problem solved :D

• Haha 1

I'd like to add they all accelerate the same on ice and actually the little 4 3 might be the best for glare ice acceleration.  Even with that being the case I had a 14 5.3 and now have a 14 6.2 and I'll take the extra lack of traction with the 6.2 any day.

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 10:42 PM, goose hunter said:

Well folks it's time to make my move, and so is the 6.2L worth the extra 2500.00$....I'm ordering a LTZ and have to stop debating.....2500 extra and premium gas.....mmmmmm

Thanks for reading.....                   GH

Well, besides all the crap this thread turned into, physics and theories and why no one needs a  6.2 since a 4.3 accelerates just as fast...yada yada yada....It just comes down to what you are comfortable spending and if YOU think its worth the extra money...Like stated before, before you order one, go test drive a 5.3 and a 6.2 back to back to see if you think it worth the money....

I got a 6.2 because its what I wanted... and the 23mpg on the highway is a bonus

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, SierraAT4 said:

Tyler, that would have been a great post if you weren't a 5.3 owner doing the same hand waving and rationalizing as everybody else.

I believe owning a 5.3 puts Tyler at an advantage with his comments. I don't own either engine being discussed.  However, I have enough experience to appreciate the value of the extra power offered by the 6.2.   I have driven the  Ecotec 4.3 for 3 yrs. and am happy that the 5.3 is available if I purchase a trailer with a GVWR in excess of 7,000 lbs. For daily driving and "lighter" (<7k lbs.) towing, the 4.3 has ample power.  It is just as capable of earning as many speeding tickets as a 6.2!   I would probably place more value on the 6.2 if I had peers other than on a GM forum who appreciated the biggest motor in a pickup.  In my circle, I get more creds bragging about my smaller  engine! ;-)

5 minutes ago, Donstar said:

I believe owning a 5.3 puts Tyler at an advantage with his comments. I don't own either engine being discussed.  However, I have enough experience to appreciate the value of the extra power offered by the 6.2.   I have driven the  Ecotec 4.3 for 3 yrs. and am happy that the 5.3 is available if I purchase a trailer with a GVWR in excess of 7,000 lbs. For daily driving and "lighter" (<7k lbs.) towing, the 4.3 has ample power.  It is just as capable of earning as many speeding tickets as a 6.2!   I would probably place more value on the 6.2 if I had peers other than on a GM forum who appreciated the biggest motor in a pickup.  In my circle, I get more creds bragging about my smaller  engine! ;-)

In mine I only discuss the ZZ502 sitting in the Chevelle....nobody cares what's in the truck :thumbs:

• Like 1

Maybe we can argue what color is the best now?   hahaha.    

Get what engine and options that make you happy.   No one on here at the end of the day cares what color you bought, engine or options you have.   We are all here because we like GM products in general.   Enjoy the truck! I personally like that people buy and modify them for their own personal taste, I don't want the exact same truck as the guy driving next to me!   Heck try something new with your new truck, you may like it!   I was always content with the 5.3's I have had, never a complaint about performance etc.  I'm in a position to buy the 6.2 now and plan to.  I'm even feeling a little CrAzY and NOT buying another white truck (I've had 4) and trying a different color.   haha.. No one cares, it's for ME!   

Smitty

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 9:42 PM, goose hunter said:

Well folks it's time to make my move, and so is the 6.2L worth the extra 2500.00$....I'm ordering a LTZ and have to stop debating.....2500 extra and premium gas.....mmmmmm

Thanks for reading.....                   GH

To you sir. I beg your pardon. I believe Dyier2 gave you the best possible answer. My apologies. 

I will address NO ONE as it seems name calling is the sum height of the school yard bar and say what COULD have been said and been true if truth were more important than pride. Ready?

"It will require less pedal to obtain the same result".

That said; if pedal throw is your measure of this illusion AND heavy towing is not in your future then you might wish to save yourself almost the entirety of that $2,500; buy the 5.3 and add a much cheaper Pedal Commander. 

The easy solution would be to eliminate the 5.3. Have the 6.2 tuned to run all fuels with varying HP. The 4.3 is more than capable to handle most families hauling. The turbo 4 would fit between I guess, juries out on that one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seems we are trying to solve a problem WE created :uhoh:...I don't care what anyone buys, drives, worships, modifies or blows up. Grumpy has the 4.3 and gets the most out of it and it seems to suit him and Pepper just fine, another member has a Supercharger on his 6.2 and seems happy too so it's all subjective to your wants/needs. I enjoy my 6.2 but I am sure if I had the 5.3 I would enjoy that too because I would have test drove it and found it satisfactory for my wants/need and if I had chosen the 4.3 I'd be happy with that too because again...I bought what I wanted/needed and don't really care what anyone else thinks, they didn't write the check!

• Like 2

For me.... I have a 68 Camaro with a 555 big block...I could have built a mild 350, or even lets say a 6 cyl and would achieve the same results getting from point A to point B.... but that wont BE AS FUN!....Grumpy could disagree with me all he wants, but I definitely use ALOT less pedal to get moving with the 555 than I did when it had a 327 in it..

• Like 1

HI First time poster (currently own a 2011 Colorado w/the 5.3) , looking at the new full size. Of course I would love to go to a 6.2 as I'm sure the difference is night and day  just like my 5.3 v8 is vs the inline 5 in the Colorado. That being said when I see comments of it being either (only) $2500 or $3700 more, I must be missing something. I realize those amounts are probably the 6.2 option and the 10 spd but the past couple years I have looked at getting a low optioned 6.2 in "build & price", GM won't allow just getting a 6.2 with virtually no high end packages.  Seems like getting into a 6.2 is more like $10 grand putting the trucks up near $60 K or better.  Did this change ? I would love to get a single cab or short bed extended cab 6.2 without it being all leathered up with a bunch of stuff I don't need.  Thanks