6.2L Yes or No

I have a 2015 Silverado LTZ with a 5.3 and recently bought a GMC Denali ultimate with the 6.2 and I don’t think I will ever go back to the 5.3 after I sell it. You won’t regret getting the 6.2. I just put a leveling kit and ridge grapplers on it today 

5AA7625C-AFA4-4F4B-B7AE-CFCCDFFF1118.jpeg

• Like 5

On 11/01/2019 at 12:58 PM, ajensen383 said:

Unfortunately, the only way to get a 6.2 is with the high end LTZ or High Country package for Chevy and SLT  or Denali for GMC.. This frustrated me as well, as I didn't want all the Luxury associated with the high end trims, but for the price I paid for mine I am Ok with it. GM stopped offering the 6.2 in lower trims in 2014 with the debut of the K2XX body style... From 2010 to 2013 (GMT-900 body)the 6.2 was available in LT trim. I had one in my 2011 LT and it was great, was not all loaded up with stuff I didn't want.  I don't understand the reasoning behind it, but it seems they are sticking with only offering it in the high trims for the T1 as well.

You apparently can't even get front bucket seats and a centre console in the 2019s unless you go to SLT or Denali Sierra or LTZ or High Country Silverado...

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 11:58 PM, Dnj901 said:

I have a 2015 Silverado LTZ with a 5.3 and recently bought a GMC Denali ultimate with the 6.2 and I don’t think I will ever go back to the 5.3 after I sell it. You won’t regret getting the 6.2. I just put a leveling kit and ridge grapplers on it today 

5AA7625C-AFA4-4F4B-B7AE-CFCCDFFF1118.jpeg

Welcome to the site, congratulations on the new ride, looks awesome!!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2019 at 8:44 AM, SILVER SLED said:

I think your on crack.  My '18 6.2 FEELS way faster than my '15 5.3 did.   I can hop in a friends tuned 5.3 ccsb and can notice a difference.  That that theory looks good on paper but not in real life. 

“It briefs well...” Something I’ve said to numerous LT’s that can translates to “You educated simp, care to come up with a fires plan that we can realistically execute on the OBJ?”  The butt-dyno is a real thing...  and a big reason I’m going to probably do a Maggie 1900...

On 2019-01-11 at 12:33 AM, Grumpy Bear said:

BULL and I quote, "It's all about ease of acceleration Grumpy Bear"

What this statement says is that  250 hp. delivered by a 6.2 is somehow able to accelerate the same mass with some SENSORY perception or FEEL of greater ease or quantitatively to a GREATER RATE of acceleration than 250 hp. delivered by a 4.3. That sir is ignorance.  That was my statement which you called, what was that again? Absurd? I placed nothing in your mouth. Your error is your own. I most assuredly noted that when I addressed the fact the a quarter G of acceleration is quite brisk and that additional rates where inappropriate for the streets. In that; it doesn't matter if you 6.2 makes 1,000 hp and a half ton of torque. A quarter G is a quarter G no matter how much excess you have on tap. IN fact I flat out call you a liar if you summit that your normal mode of operation is quicker than a 4.3 held to the matt continuously. That is what you are trying to make us believe. You have to exceed that limit to make your statement true. 

There is nothing arrogant about understanding something you are ignorant of and the ability to explain it. That sir is education. One any bright eight grade has.

As for the rest I see you failed debate as well as physics. I would have addressed the 'substance' of your comment had there been any. There is a strawman :lol: 

Couple points:

1) (peak) HP is only part of the equation. Torque in the 6.2 is much higher than the 5.3 and 4.6. And the torque curve is totally different. The 6.2 will be stronger in day-to-day driving to how the torque comes on, much the same way why a diesel at 250 peak hp feels much stronger than a gas v6 at 250 peak hp.

2) WOT, 0-60 is not how these trucks are generally used. Again, this is that torque curve, and why the 6.2 will feel much much stronger than the v6, because the torque comes on low in the RPM range and strong. An engine that needs to rev high to get some torque (like my pentastar v6) feels much weaker than an engine which builds torque low down.

3) The transmission paired to the 6.2 is enough reason to get the 6.2. Those 10 gears are (apparently) amazing, and as long as you cannot get 10 gears with the v6 or the smaller v8, the 6.2 paired with the 10 speed is a huge advantage. Again, keeps that torque right where you want it at all times.

So don't just look at peak hp specs. That just tells you one metric, and it's important, but it's not the only one. There is a lot more going on WRT to how powerful something feels than just HP made at a certain RPM.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, the wanderer said:

Couple points:

1) (peak) HP is only part of the equation. Torque in the 6.2 is much higher than the 5.3 and 4.6. And the torque curve is totally different. The 6.2 will be stronger in day-to-day driving to how the torque comes on, much the same way why a diesel at 250 peak hp feels much stronger than a gas v6 at 250 peak hp.

2) WOT, 0-60 is not how these trucks are generally used. Again, this is that torque curve, and why the 6.2 will feel much much stronger than the v6, because the torque comes on low in the RPM range and strong. An engine that needs to rev high to get some torque (like my pentastar v6) feels much weaker than an engine which builds torque low down.

3) The transmission paired to the 6.2 is enough reason to get the 6.2. Those 10 gears are (apparently) amazing, and as long as you cannot get 10 gears with the v6 or the smaller v8, the 6.2 paired with the 10 speed is a huge advantage. Again, keeps that torque right where you want it at all times.

So don't just look at peak hp specs. That just tells you one metric, and it's important, but it's not the only one. There is a lot more going on WRT to how powerful something feels than just HP made at a certain RPM.

Perfectly stated!  

23 minutes ago, the wanderer said:

Couple points:

Very good points. The thing is, I don't want or need all the features in an LTZ so the $7000 higher purchase price and the switch from regular to premium (partially offset by better fuel economy) doesn't make the 6.2 worth it for me unless I'm really going to struggle towing a moderate size travel trailer through the mountains with the 5.3 and the 8 speed. 

The 6.2 has won awards and is currently listed as a top ten engine by wards. If you can afford the extra price on the sticker and premium fuel because please don't be an idiot who buys this engine then thinks that saving 4 dollars a fill up is worth it. Then i think you should obviously spend the extra 3k for the better engine option and for a 19 that will include the new 10 speed so you get more than just the engine. I think were it really comes into play is resale because 5.3 trucks are a dime a dozen but 6.2's will peak more interest on the resale market imo.

2 hours ago, BIGDOGx said:

The 6.2 has won awards and is currently listed as a top ten engine by wards. If you can afford the extra price on the sticker and premium fuel because please don't be an idiot who buys this engine then thinks that saving 4 dollars a fill up is worth it. Then i think you should obviously spend the extra 3k for the better engine option and for a 19 that will include the new 10 speed so you get more than just the engine. I think were it really comes into play is resale because 5.3 trucks are a dime a dozen but 6.2's will peak more interest on the resale market imo.

Like I said previously, the difference is more like $7k because I'd have to go from RST to LTZ. I'm going to drive my truck until there's nothing left so I don't care about resale. 

I have a 2014 5.3L 6L80e and a 2015 6.2L 8L90e. If you are in the market for a loaded truck, and the added charge wont break the bank, you would be foolish to choose the 5.3L in my opinion. There is no comparing the two. My 5.3L gets better mileage, even with the 6spd, but only about 1mpg so the added power is worth the minor penalty. $8 extra to fill on premium than regular in Canada, so about $5 USD. The LT series 5.3L is a very stout motor, and not underpowered by any means, but when you punch the go pedal in a 6.2L you will have a big sh!t eating grin on your face. You get more for it on trade or private sale when the time comes as well.