Inverter that is in our GM's

Dodge- You can buy an aftermarket inverter, but a coffee pot that brews coffee draws ALOT more.. You need one of those ultra quiet honda generators for that. Like 600 watts...

I am sure GM doesnt want you burning your truck up

On 1/13/2019 at 8:36 PM, dodge stomper said:

Ok,  Always sorry I post thoughts here.  Don't need a full time inverter....   It was a passing thought now it's gone.

I thought my aftermarket was 400 watts. But I don't have it in front of me.

• 1 year later...
5 hours ago, Jethro450 said:

So question:  when the coffee pot doesn’t work, is the green light on when you start, then it goes off and nothing works, then it comes back on when you unplug and plug back in?

thats what my truck is doing with a simple air mattress pump.  

Edit to add 2018 info.

From 2018 manual:

If equipped with this power outlet, it can be used to plug in electrical equipment that uses a maximum limit of 150 watts'

coffee pot and air mattress pump are likely both more than 150W 

Anything that is a motor likely has higher draw at start-up than it does when running, so will be even more difficult to get it to operate on this circuit.

Plug is on a self-resetting circuit breaker.  Breaker resets when the plug/load is removed.

This is for 2020HD,

RPO KI4         Power outlet, instrument panel, 120-volt (400 watts shared with (KC9) bed mounted power outlet)

150W/120V = 1.25A

400W/120V = 3.3A

- Typical household circuit is 15A .  

- 15A x 120v = 1800W 

Looks like some improvement with the new generation (400W vs 150W previous) and with the plug in the bed available.

Edited by redwngr

2 hours ago, redwngr said:

Edit to add 2018 info.

From 2018 manual:

If equipped with this power outlet, it can be used to plug in electrical equipment that uses a maximum limit of 150 watts'

coffee pot and air mattress pump are likely both more than 150W 

Anything that is a motor likely has higher draw at start-up than it does when running, so will be even more difficult to get it to operate on this circuit.

Plug is on a self-resetting circuit breaker.  Breaker resets when the plug/load is removed.

This is for 2020HD,

RPO KI4         Power outlet, instrument panel, 120-volt (400 watts shared with (KC9) bed mounted power outlet)

150W/120V = 1.25A

400W/120V = 3.3A

- Typical household circuit is 15A .  

- 15A x 120v = 1800W 

Looks like som,e improvement with the new generation (400W vs 150W previous) and with the plug in the bed available.

Good info.  Ya I looked at the specs of my pump and it was 1.6A, which is 176Watts.  If all I’ve got is a 150w inverter... there’s my answer.  Need a bugger inverter.