Travel trailer towing capacity?

Looking to purchase a travel trailer and I'm trying to determine my towing capacity.  All the numbers make my head hurt!  I read the owners manual and it looks like I can tow 9100 lbs, I go to camping world website enter my vehicle VIN and it says I can only tow 5500 lbs.  Really confused and hoping someone can help me determine my tow capacity.  Here are my truck build sheet specs:

Model: CC15543-2018 SILVERADO 1500 2WD CREW CAB

L83 - ENGINE, 5.3L V8 ECOTEC3

MYC - TRANSMISSION, 6 SPD AUTOMATIC

GU6 - REAR AXLE 3.42 RATIO

Q5U - WHEELS, 17" BRIGHT - MACHINED ALUMINUM

PDU - ALL STAR EDITION * TRAILERING EQUIPMENT PKG INCL AUTO
LOCKING REAR DIFFERENTIAL *

Z85 - SUSPENSION PACKAGE

Thanks!

Looking to purchase a travel trailer and I'm trying to determine my towing capacity.  All the numbers make my head hurt!  I read the owners manual and it looks like I can tow 9100 lbs, I go to camping world website enter my vehicle VIN and it says I can only tow 5500 lbs.  Really confused and hoping someone can help me determine my tow capacity.  Here are my truck build sheet specs:

Z85 - SUSPENSION PACKAGE

Thanks!

I ran out and bought the newly redesigned 14 as soon as it came out, boasted about towing blah blah blah. It was a 14 CC, 5.3, 6 speed, 3:42 rear and one day the kids wanted me to take them to Holiday World in Willis Tx. They fell in love with a 32’ TT and on it was a big sign with “HalfTon Towable”, I thought I’d surprise them so I wrote out a big check and picked it up very next day. I bought the Distribution Hitch along with other crap. I noticed driving it home to surprise the family it was really heavy and somewhat unpredictable but thought weighing only 7K lbs shouldn’t be a problem. Speeding along, kids loved it etc etc. While driving (family in another vehicle) a 300 mile trip to a camping sight caused me to smoke a full pack of cigarettes.... I don’t smoke but the stress of towing this trailer was horrendous! This 7k trailer should’ve been easily towed behind this newly advanced truck claiming to tow 9k, NOT! It completely slapped the 1500 around like a rag doll. I sold it a week later which was one of the happiest days of my life. Btw, I also only got maximum 5 mpg’s...5 MPG’S!!!! Ended up filling up half way to Dallas and another in FortWorth...HA!

Ran out and bought a brand new LTZ Z71 DMax, picked up a new 9k Winnebago 5th wheel and the slapping around like a rag doll never ever happened again but reversed. The 1500’s are great trucks but do not recommend towing more than 6k in one without doing a lot of mods like airbags etc.

Sent from above
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

9400# is what I found with a quick Google search but I wouldn't want to tow anything that's more that 80% of the maximum towing capacity... That'll put you around 7500# for a trailer...

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

I’d try and do a test run first, you’ll then know cause it’ll be to late once you drive off and on the road. I’ve got a couple diesels at work and I’m back with another 1500 but 6.2 and it’s a toy now and NEVER for towing anything like that TT ever again. Good luck and most of all be safe

Sent from above

Yeah TXGREEK I def. dont want to buy, the immediately sell a TT and/or my Truck!  I am looking at this travel trailer:

2019 FOREST RIVER WILDWOOD X-LITE 273QBXL

http://www.forestriverinc.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=178&Image=5089&ShowParent=1&ModelID=2418#Main

Their website says, UVW is 5956lbs and CCC is 1724lbs for a total of 7680 lbs, which I think would be the GVWR.  This TT is probably pushing it, what do you think?

• Like 1

Get a two axle trailer for sure.  I have a 7000gvwr  trailer that weighs 3,760bs dry.  It is super stable with a quality WD hitch with sway control.  Loaded down I think it gets at the max end of towing comfortably.

Some people raise their expectations too high and expect to drive 70-80mph down the highway like they used to.  Try 55 mph.   Throwing this out there, if you were in a 1500 getting 5mph I’d imagine you were driving too fast.  

Now or that you have a fifth wheel it’s a bit easier to pedal down but it’s still not recommended to go super fast like a 18 wheeler hours late for a delivery.   Those axles on travel trailers and their tires typically have poor speed ratings.

To OP, I’d suggest 6,000lbs and 24ft length is a happy match to a 9,000+ tow rating.   Just don’t expect to be cruising 80mph down a straight highway and get used to being very cautious.  To the other poster, I’d be hard pressed to tow a 32’ superlight trailer with a 1500 as well, I think that is too long when compared to the wheelbase of a crew cab shortbed pickup

Edited by greatmizzou
  • Like 3

Z85 - SUSPENSION PACKAGE

Thanks!
I have a truck equipped identical to yours.

It tows great. I think you'll be fine, just use a sway bar and keep it around 55-60.

I had an 05 Tahoe two vehicles ago with a 5.3, 4L60E and 3.42. I towed about 7k once
with it for roughly 100 miles. Trailer only had a surge brake. It was fine at 55-60 mph. Solid and safe. I'd bet my crew cab now would do it even better, given the longer wheelbase.

If you look up under your dash near the floorboards, there is a pigtail connector for an auxiliary trailer brake. It's labeled and everything. I found it in my '14 by accident and my '17 has it too. Use a trailer brake and you'll be riding smooth.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

What is your trucks payload rating. These things run out of payload long before they hit the trailer number.

I've got a 2015 max trailer package with a payload of 2015. I tow a lighter trailer (8200 gross) and max out my payload every time. I would not tow heavier with my NHT and it's rated for 10,800

• Like 2

Stay away from camping world. I had a 14 1500 with the 5.3. They told me i could pull a certain trailer i put a deposit down on. On the way home researched it and i was over my payload by a lot.

Look at the sticker on your door jam. That payload number is key. The trailer you are looking at find out its max gross weight. Now get the 12% of that number and that is your tongue weight. Add another 800 lbs for inbed cargo and passangers. That will exceed your payload most likely.

Trailer length is another key factor. Anything over 30ft imo is too long for a.1500. You can get the tail wagging the dog scenerio.

Get Good weight distribution anti sway hitch.

Air bags are also good

How many times a year are you gonna tow.

I upgraded to a 2500 6.0 because i got a trailer with a max gross weight of 11klbs

Miss the 14 mpg but no worries with my setup.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Yeah TXGREEK I def. dont want to buy, the immediately sell a TT and/or my Truck!  I am looking at this travel trailer:

http://www.forestriverinc.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=178&Image=5089&ShowParent=1&ModelID=2418#Main

Their website says, UVW is 5956lbs and CCC is 1724lbs for a total of 7680 lbs, which I think would be the GVWR.  This TT is probably pushing it, what do you think?

924 tongue weight max, add csrgo weight of around 800lbs if you bring 2 additional people and gear. Payload would be around 1700lbs. Roughly fully loaded.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

9 hours ago, silverado_colatown said:

Your truck will pull the load. Now the question is, how comfortable will you be driving it?

Are you planning to go cross country every year? or just pull it to the lakeshore on Memorial day and the 4th of July? I think you could handle shorter trips with it on local roads, but trying to run up and down mountains, at interstate speeds would be pushing the limits too much. Remember, with a box that big, the wind causes you as much concern as the sheer weight. A heavier truck is designed to control a large trailer better than our 1500's.

• Like 1

And given that one can get a 2500 with virtually the same package of goodies as a 1500, and probably for equal or even less money, it seems more wise to just get a 2500 if towing any more than 5000-6000 lb.   

One of the biggest issues when it come to the towing part is the payload part of the equation.  My 2500, full of fuel and two people and 2-300 lb of gear in the back still has about 2300 lb of payload remaining.  And the 2500 comes with a 36 gallon fuel tank standard.   

• Like 2

Get a two axle trailer for sure.  I have a 7000gvwr  trailer that weighs 3,760bs dry.  It is super stable with a quality WD hitch with sway control.  Loaded down I think it gets at the max end of towing comfortably.

Some people raise their expectations too high and expect to drive 70-80mph down the highway like they used to.  Try 55 mph.   Throwing this out there, if you were in a 1500 getting 5mph I’d imagine you were driving too fast.  

Now or that you have a fifth wheel it’s a bit easier to pedal down but it’s still not recommended to go super fast like a 18 wheeler hours late for a delivery.   Those axles on travel trailers and their tires typically have poor speed ratings.

To OP, I’d suggest 6,000lbs and 24ft length is a happy match to a 9,000+ tow rating.   Just don’t expect to be cruising 80mph down a straight highway and get used to being very cautious.  To the other poster, I’d be hard pressed to tow a 32’ superlight trailer with a 1500 as well, I think that is too long when compared to the wheelbase of a crew cab shortbed pickup

That’s a negative on driving to fast. As I’ve already posted, I was extremely stressed out towing as it was. Actually it was more like 4.5mpgs. If you’re wanting to tow, 1500’s are maxed out at 5-6K and the rest would be the upgrades helping but if you’re looking to tow more often then 3/4 DMax or any Diesel is the best tow vehicle period. I towed a 9K+ 5th wheel and barely noticed it in the back.
Don’t forget that it’s not just the weight of the trailer but the added weight of everything inside which believe me, you’re definitely going to be buying and adding a bunch of stuff in order to make your trip as pleasant as possible AND all the gear in and on the truck plus the added weight of people in the truck. These trucks are rated as empty not occupied and loaded up.

Sent from above