Travel trailer towing capacity?

1 hour ago, rjpoog1989 said:

I’m looking into floor plans exlike this. I also like the 230bhxl with the slide.  My truck is a 14 CC St Bed 6.2 with around 1500lbs payload.  I wish I had the max tow package, but I do have an extra leaf spring in the rear.  My truck goes my 5k lbs dump trailer fine, but that’s usually just me in it and nothing else.  I’ll be traveling with my wife, daughter, and 2 dogs.  

Have you ever had it on scales to know what your hitch weight is loaded? I’m concerned about running out of payload.

Can you fold up the Murphy bed without taking all the fixings off?  I’d like to be able to fold it up easy if it’s raining and we’re stuck inside.

Any reasons you went with Forest River vs other brands?

I’m  going to an event show this weekend to check some things out.  I can’t buy until later this year when my car is paid off.  I’m really looking forward to getting out camping!  I don’t want to upgrade truck for a few more years, so I want a trailer that this truck will handle comfortably for many miles.

I need to weigh it. The murphy bed fold right up with sheets and pillows on it and folds back down exactly how it was. No idea how but it does.

We went with the murphy bed for the exact same reason you said. Couch during the day, bed at night. Storage underneath. 

Search youtube for the 201bhxl 

One size bigger would be great but this one doesnt have a slide so less upkeep on that. We were looking at a forest river one size smaller but found this one on the lot discounted. We looked at jayco and keystone. Liked them alot but the dealer wouldnt budge on the extreme prices. We got this one for 16k. I’m sure there are better deals out there but we are very happy and my truck pulls it great. 

Towing mirrors and a 6.2 is all I wish I had different. 

Edited by Bikemobile

we’re trying to figure out what we are going to get. Going to an RV show in Dallas this weekend to poke around. 

I have a 2018 crew cab Z71 with 5.3L, 3.42 gears and 6 speed without max tow package. 

We’re currently looking at a 29’ with a slide out that’s 5300 dry and 7700 GVWR. I’d greatly prefer something that is lighter dry but it’s all a give and take deal. 

Im positive on getting a weight distribution hitch, sway bar for the camper and putting airbags on the truck. I feel like we’d be okay if I do that. And get a camper that has the smooth curved front for breaking the wind better than the angled corrugated sheet metal versions. 

• Like 1

we’re trying to figure out what we are going to get. Going to an RV show in Dallas this weekend to poke around. 

I have a 2018 crew cab Z71 with 5.3L, 3.42 gears and 6 speed without max tow package. 

We’re currently looking at a 29’ with a slide out that’s 5300 dry and 7700 GVWR. I’d greatly prefer something that is lighter dry but it’s all a give and take deal. 

Im positive on getting a weight distribution hitch, sway bar for the camper and putting airbags on the truck. I feel like we’d be okay if I do that. And get a camper that has the smooth curved front for breaking the wind better than the angled corrugated sheet metal versions. 

My 2018 Sierra with the 5.3 and extra tow does perfectly fine pulling our 35’ 8-9k camper. We towed across several state lines and up in some hills without a single “wish we had more truck.” I would strongly suggest looking at the higher end weight distribution hitches. I have a Hensley Arrow that I picked up used and sway is nonexistent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, busydaddy said:

My 2018 Sierra with the 5.3 and extra tow does perfectly fine pulling our 35’ 8-9k camper. We towed across several state lines and up in some hills without a single “wish we had more truck.” I would strongly suggest looking at the higher end weight distribution hitches. I have a Hensley Arrow that I picked up used and sway is nonexistent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats good to know!! Thanks!

12 hours ago, rah7777777 said:

What's your payload rating?

I have a payload of 2015 and feel like I'm maxed out at 8200 loaded. I scaled mine a few years back, and at that weight I had a tongue weight of 1050 (12.8% for those who care). So I had under 1000 lbs remaining for my hitch, cargo in the truck, my wife, 2 small dogs and the part of me over 150 lbs.

Without the max tow, my payload would be 400-500 less, and all of it would have to come out of what I carry in the truck.

At 7700 lbs, your tongue should be between 950 and 975, so it won't leave much in the truck.

• 10 months later...

I tow a 29 ft jayflight...and yes I may be in the grey area on the books with a 1500 2018 5.3 ecotech but I haul weekends and a week in the summer. And I installed a derale transmission cooler which gives me all the confidence I need keeping my speed under check and still being able to keep up when needed...sure sometimes it would be great to have a 2500...but not completely necessary with a new lighter trailer. Get a good trailer break, wd hitch, and I highly recommend the transmission cooler... kept me below 200 degrees going up and over on 64 in the Shenandoah...popular route and we didn’t have any problems...some may critize, but the max towing package has a better rear end and the cooler factory, not much else different, and I tell people well, it’s a full size Chevy truck, i think it will be just fine because I’m not hauling daily or anything too crazy in weight. and if the bottom falls out, well So be it...the frames and the breaks are the same on all the 1500s....

up to you but I think you will be okay from your original post. 

On 1/11/2019 at 8:25 AM, BoilerUP said:

I have a 2017 Silverado 1500 LT, Crew Cab Short Bed, 4x4 with 5.3L and 3.42 gears.  The truck's placarded payload is 1702, GVWR is 7200, GAWRF and GAWRR are both 3950, rated tow capacity is 9100, GCWR is 15,000. 

I have a 2018 Wildwood X-Lite 282QBXL, which is 32.5' long from tongue to spare tire.  The 282QBXL has a placarded 6052 dry weight with a 626 spec tongue weight, and a GVWR of 7636.

The truck pulls the trailer with absolutely ZERO issues running 70mph on the interstate, and IIRC I'm turning about 2700rpm at that speed.  Like most wind sails, the trailer can get blown around a bit when its gusty but I haven't really experienced the "sucked in by semis" that some folks talk about.  Pulling a long, decent grade hill I do get RPMs up around 4k to maintain 70mph, but its a naturally aspirated V8 and that's where the torque is so no big deal.  Running 70mph I average about 10.5mpg while towing.

Weigh slip is truck, full tank of gas, me, weight distributing hitch, trailer, battery, two full propane tanks and 2/3 fresh water tank.  PLENTY of margin for my wife, two kids, and stuff.

uZ1ESI7.jpg

iQyfp1F.png

Hmm that's an interesting scale ticket.

Mine is a 18 6.2 8spd 4x4, 07 Forrest river 24ft, 27.5ft overall.

My scale shows 

Front axle : 3420lbs

Rear axle : 3420lbs

Trailer axles : 4860lbs

Overall 11,700lbs

But I have about 200lbs of stereo stuff under the seat, and another 2-300 lbs of tools in the bed.

Mine tows really well, think I need a new sway bar though.

I run about 2000rpm at 73 mph. Sometimes drops down to 1600 and stays for a while depending on hills.

Best I have gotten was no head winds and averaged 12.5 mpg and was thrilled.

Worst had a 15-20 mph head wind and got 9.5

20190801_141508.jpg

Edited by YukonXL04

21 hours ago, Mpsilverado said:

some may critize, but the max towing package has a better rear end and the cooler factory, not much else different

The cooling on the Max Tow package has been proven to not be any better than the regular trucks.  The benefit of Max Tow is the rear end ratio, tow mirrors and rear springs.  Disadvantage is the shocks are pretty much the worst offered among all trims.

Right typed that wrong, the cooler isn’t anything special, I installed the aftermarket cooler, and now my 1500 tows a 294qbs which is empty at 6800lbs with no problem, same rpms, speed, and control as what boilerUP above reported.  Im able to maintain speed, some high rpms and I hear the motor working but that is what it is built to do...I have an r3 wd hitch and other than some poirposing it handles any sway really well. 

• 9 months later...