Advice on accident w/ 2019 Silverado?

Well, they may argue that there was an emergency vehicle approaching the intersection. That's why the others cars stopped.

You're not slowing down until the car moved into your lane.

The speed on your footage shows that you're going 40mph. What was the speed limit at this point?

so long

j-ten-ner

20 hours ago, M3Master said:

Yea, I called 911 right after it happened.  They basically said because the vehicles are drivable and no-one was hurt, that I just need to download the accident report form and mail it in.  So same deal as PA sounds like.  My agent of course says that because I'm not at fault that it ~shouldn't~ affect my rates...but we all know how that goes.  Thanks.

My wife had a similar situation in her van in October.  Police wouldnt come out because no injuries and damage not that expensive.  My wife called her mom (works for our state farm agent) and said thats normal.  They worked to get the other persons insurance to take responsibility.  This actually wasnt an issue.  The only thing we had trouble with was them authorizing a part to be replaced they found during tear down.  It took a week to ok it so we kept the rental longer which they were paying for.  Made no sense to me why they wouldnt have ok'ed the part sooner to save on rental charges.  Our rates did not go up, actually on the latest statement went down a few dollars.  

7 hours ago, j-ten-ner said:

Well, they may argue that there was an emergency vehicle approaching the intersection. That's why the others cars stopped.

You're not slowing down until the car moved into your lane.

The speed on your footage shows that you're going 40mph. What was the speed limit at this point?

so long

j-ten-ner

Speed limit was 45 there.  And you're absolutely right...I saw the cop almost exactly at the moment that she pulled into my lane and was going for the brake. If I had just seen the cop 1 second sooner...

8 hours ago, JimCost2014 said:

I would ask to speak to your agents manager to let them know you are finding a new insurance company when this is done, and to ask, why are you paying for this kind of service? They are paid to look out for your best interest, not be lazy because they have some work to do now.

My agent has actually been really nice about this.  I'm sure it's not him that makes the call on how stuff counts against you...its the insurance company.  That said he has been very supportive in handling however I want.   He just recommended the safest way was to give Amica the chance to handle it in full.  If I'm happy w/ the way they handle it, then let them handle it was his advice.,  

I understand he is saying that whether I was at fault or not, a claim is a claim.  And even not at fault claims affect how the parent company assesses risk.  While I understand that, it truly sucks for the customer when they are not at fault.

The latest on this is that I opened a claim w/ Amica yesterday.  The customer service, claims adjuster and the appraiser(coming out today at 1pm) were all very nice.  The problem is the other guy.  The claims adjuster told me they of course can't pay anything out until they get a statement from their insured driver.  Makes sense. 

I texted with the other driver yesterday morning and gave her all the claim information.  She responded with her dad's phone number because he is the policy owner.  I texted and called him several times.  Left him a couple of voicemails...nothing.   The claims adjuster also left several voicemails yesterday as well as an email.   

If it were me, I would be anxious to get the ball rolling and get the issue resolved.  That being said, only one of the cars on his policy are newer than 10 years old.  So, I suspect that the out of pocket deductibles may not be something he is looking forward to paying assuming his daughter has shown him the video and told him what happened.  The claims adjuster said that it is not uncommon for these calls to go unanswered because of this reason and they have to give him up to 30 days to respond.  Wonderful.  She said that she'd recommend exactly what most have recommended here....that I let Farmer's drive the repair and recover the costs from them down the road.

So, that being said, their appraiser is coming out to my house at 1pm today.  If the policy owner has not made contact with Amica by then, I will open a claim with my insurance company and let them drive the repair.   I'll unfortunately take the(hopefully minimal) hit and get my truck fixed.  As it is now it is likely going to take them several weeks to get this fixed correctly.    My need for a rental car to get back and forth to work trump the risk of my insurance rates going up.

Once again I really appreciate the discussion and all the advice.,

So I guess in the future you need to tell 911 that you may be injured since you were just in an accident. That would assure the police arrives and the at fault driver is ticketed. Thank God you got the video. I need to get serious about getting a dashcam! Hopefully this gets straightened out for you quickly.

You don't need the police at the scene to write a ticket. How do you think they mail out tickets for running red lights at intersections with cameras?

Take your video to the local cop shop and show it to them and see if they'll ticket her.

3 minutes ago, BrevardCty Rado said:

So I guess in the future you need to tell 911 that you may be injured since you were just in an accident. That would assure the police arrives and the at fault driver is ticketed. Thank God you got the video. I need to get serious about getting a dashcam! Hopefully this gets straightened out for you quickly.

I was just rereading some of this and I was going to suggest that as well yes what the hell call 911 that's what they're there for. If you're not injured maybe your feelings are hurt because your brand new truck just got smashed by a responsible driver :-) I would always go for making sure that I got a police report on site regardless of how bad or not bad the accident is. None of this was this posters fault and he's going to suffer the consequences of all this bullshit including diminished value of his truck it's going to be posted and listed as being in an accident comes right off the top  as far as point on Carfax or any of the other reporting agencies and it's really sick that people just want to diminish what their responsibilities are IE  nine-one-one in this case. Thank God this poster had a dash cam to prove what happened if he didn't it might be on his shoulders. I suggest everybody get a dash cam not only Mount 1 to the front of the vehicle but Mount one on the back of the vehicle to see these incoming drivers on your rear end. All my work trucks have cameras all around because of this situation. Just my two cents, yes I'll give you a penny back God you guys drive a hard bargain

3 minutes ago, KJS Sullivan said:

I was just rereading some of this and I was going to suggest that as well yes what the hell call 911 that's what they're there for. If you're not injured maybe your feelings are hurt because your brand new truck just got smashed by a responsible driver :-) I would always go for making sure that I got a police report on site regardless of how bad or not bad the accident is. None of this was this posters fault and he's going to suffer the consequences of all this bullshit including diminished value of his truck it's going to be posted and listed as being in an accident comes right off the top  as far as point on Carfax or any of the other reporting agencies and it's really sick that people just want to diminish what their responsibilities are IE  nine-one-one in this case. Thank God this poster had a dash cam to prove what happened if he didn't it might be on his shoulders. I suggest everybody get a dash cam not only Mount 1 to the front of the vehicle but Mount one on the back of the vehicle to see these incoming drivers on your rear end. All my work trucks have cameras all around because of this situation. Just my two cents, yes I'll give you a penny back God you guys drive a hard bargain

Yea, that was my thought when the accident first happened.  I called 911.  They asked if there were injuries or the car wasn't drivable.  Technically mine was but the chin spoiler was slightly rubbing the tire.  Hindsight being 20/20 I should have said I needed a tow truck for that very reason.

But yeah...get a dash cam.  It's always the responsible adults that end up paying the price.  Lol, I can even tell you EXACTLY how to hardwire it for a clean install.  

Bummer. Glad no injuries. We are dealing with very similar damage to our 2017 Acadia. You will be surprised - ours looks about the same as yours and there is $7000 worth of damage.

I can't believe police didn't come out. We had no injuries, but I called 911 anyway. She should have been cited and you should have gotten a report. It makes all the difference - you could have started claim with HER insurance. We filed claim with other party's insurance - I didn't wait on him.

Edit: Cop rolls by hot right after you hit her. Nice.

Edited by ewbldavis

Just now, ewbldavis said:

Bummer. Glad no injuries. We are dealing with very similar damage to our 2017 Acadia. You will be surprised - ours looks about the same as yours and there is $7000 worth of damage.

I can't believe police didn't come out. We had no injuries, but I called 911 anyway. She should have been cited and you should have gotten a report. It makes all the difference - you could have started claim with HER insurance. We filed claim with other party's insurance - I didn't wait on him.

Yea, I did that but 911 flat out refused to send the police.  I told them I needed a report and they said no.  Sucks but I think a lot of states do that.

• Like 1

We have Farmer's Ins and anytime we've had a collision, we've called them and they got our car fixed and then they went after the other party or their insurance company for reimbursement.

I am leaning toward just opening a claim with Farmer's now.  I got an email back from the Amica claims adjuster.  She reviewed the video and said it is clear as day who is at fault.  So, the only hurdle is her getting the insured to return her call.  So, at least it looks like Amica will pay for my truck regardless of the route I take.  Some good news was welcome.  Lol.

1 hour ago, M3Master said:

I am leaning toward just opening a claim with Farmer's now.  I got an email back from the Amica claims adjuster.  She reviewed the video and said it is clear as day who is at fault.  So, the only hurdle is her getting the insured to return her call.  So, at least it looks like Amica will pay for my truck regardless of the route I take.  Some good news was welcome.  Lol.

An adjuster admitting fault? What has the world come to?