Goodyear SRA snow performance?

16 hours ago, truckguy82 said:

Dedicated winter tire setup is such a waste of money for 95% of the lower 48 states.

Agree. And since the OP just asked how the crap SRA's handle in snow, we answered that they are ok. Not great. Not better than all-season, not better than snow tires. Just ok. They will get you to from A to B. They are Better when they have full tread. (aren't all tires?) By 30,000 miles, start looking for new rubber. No one is saying they perform anywhere close to the other tire options. They are just ok.

7 hours ago, smidge said:

I live in the mountains of California, we regularly get 2+ feet of snow during the day or overnight. 

Well, you are definitely not representing the average consumer who leaves his 3 bedroom house in the burbs and drives 30 minutes on multi-lane roads to the office. For you, I definitely agree that dedicated snow tires are a must. But not many people are going to share that same need with you. Telling people that they need to get a separate set of wheels/tires and store them all year is just not practical for most people.

The SRA's are not good in wet slushy snow at all. In dry snow day say a couple inches they are a little better but not much. In general they are a tire that they throw on the truck because they are cheap.

Edited by dieselfan1

50 minutes ago, dieselfan1 said:

The SRA's are not good in wet slushy snow at all. In dry snow day say a couple inches they are a little better but not much. In general they are a tire that they throw on the truck because they are cheap.

Yes, they are cheap but meet the minimum federal requirements for safety and fuel economy.

But are any tires "good" in wet slushy snow? Snow is difficult to drive in. No tires you buy will make you drive like its a dry road. Snow on the road requires you to alter your driving according to conditions, no matter what tires you have. 

17 hours ago, rkj__ said:

Winter tires perform better:

-On dry pavement, in very cold temperatures

-On wet pavement in cold temperatures

-On snow

-On ice

It's not only on snow covered roads you see a benefit.

Yes, smart driving strategies can prevent many accidents.  Traveling at a safe speed, and following at a safe distance are always a good idea.  However, sometimes when driving, you have to react to the poor decisions of other drivers.  Having more traction when responding to emergency events could literally save your life.  Like when some idiot on bald tires flies by you on the highway, changes lanes, loses control, and bounces off the median in front of you. 

But, you have a strong opinion, and I'm not going to change your mind.  That's fine.

Really though, I'm not spending a lot of coin on winter tires.  The tires cost me about $400.  I bought them used, after the previous owner used them for one winter.  Like the tires, the wheels they are mounted on were from my old truck.  I bought the wheels over 5 years ago.  Winter tires wear a little bit faster than all season highway tires, sure, but not so much so that I have to replace them every couple of years.  So, the money I spend on "faster tire wear" is nearly insignificant.  I change them myself, so there is no cost to the seasonal swap. 

Next, you claim winter tires are wasting my time.  I can mount my winter setup as fast, or faster than I could rotate 4 tires.  If you think rotating your tires is a waste of time, I really should just stop typing now I suppose.

Anyway, if my winter tires help me avoid one crash on the highway, on a dark winter night, far from home, I'd say they were worth a lifetime of seasonal tire changes. 

Have a safe winter,

rkj__

This.

• Like 1

On my past 3 vehicles, I had a dedicated set of snow tires. G8, CTS-V Wagon and SS Sedan, all were tanks in the snow with their snow tires.

As mentioned before, snow tires are better in all cold conditions than any all season tire can ever hope to be.

That said, I won't be getting anything for the truck to replace it's stock Bridgestones that are on there already. I'll just drive slower and more careful in the times that we get bad weather.

My experience with the SRAs - terrible in the wet, but okay in the snow.  I did get 53k out of them, so no gripes there.  Replaced them with Coopers, which have been MUCH better in all weather conditions.

• Like 1

I've had the displeasure of running SRA's on 2 different Jeeps (never on a truck). My experience with both is they were low mileage street tires at best. Neither set made it past 30,000 miles. Both sets were used for a little 4wd and some winter weather, very unimpressed. I could get where I wanted to go, but I felt like the tires were just there and not really helping out.

If you're not going to replace them, simply drive slow and smart in snow. You will be fine.

I cannot speak on how the SRA's perform when brand new but I bought my truck with 42k miles on it and the sra's were pretty close to the end of their life. The traction on them sucked as others mentioned in wet roads. For me it was terrible in slushy roads and even the snow that was fluffy. I drive like a granny (at least that's what everyone I give rides to says since I don't floor the gas pedal after coming to a stop) and they had terrible grip and I would spin the entire time. 

On my last truck I had a gmc envoy and that had bf goodrich long trail tires and they worked great year round. I certainly would not try off roading with them but the snow and other conditions were no problems with them, even when I got rid of the truck the tires were just barely above the wear bars and it had the same amount of grip as it did when brand new.

I now have BFG KO2's on my silverado and absolutely love them! I can gun it and spin the tires but it actually continues to push my truck forward in 2 wheel drive. I also noticed that with the SRA's if I would hit the gas too hard in snowy or wet conditions the back end would sway out, with the ko2's my truck travels perfectly straight. The only thing I miss was the better fuel economy. I get better mileage driving steady city traffic without a ton of stopping but on the thruway I now get 16mpg where I used to get 22-25 all the time with the sra's. I will gladly take a loss on mileage for having some actual grip though.