THE COMPETITION ( GOING FROM FORD, RAM, TOYOTA, ETC)

aha1987

if I had to buy new-  I'd buy in this order and why

1. Dodge Ram   - Looks better than Ford and Chevy and GMC and Nissan

2.  Crapota Tundra-  Looks better than Chevy and GMC and Nissan and they are finally getting things dialed in that a real truck should have.  Still have a way to go.  The shitty fuel millage is one of them. 

3.  Ford-  Looks better than the Chevy/GMC and Nissan.  Can still get a V8.   Ford seems to give mroe of what people want

4.  GMC/Chevy-  I like the interior and engine choices and I've been a GM Fan most of my life.. but the looks SUCK.  they do look better than the Nissan though!

5.  Nissan Titan-  Love the engine choices (V8 & Diesel) HATE the puke ugly looks.  And looks matter to me. 

But I won't ever be buying a brand new truck again unless I have gobs of $$$, so... my next truck purchase will likely be another GMT-800, 900, or K2.  The truck I loved the most was my 08 GMC 2500 Duramax followed by the 07 Sierra 1500.  

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at trucks right now, and considering all brands. Have on been to RAM and GMC....The ram with air ride was nice, but I did not like it through the turns. The interior is the best of all the brands IMO, BUT, not a fan of the 12 inch screen. Its to hard to find button when driving. I like knobs. Just personal preferance. I drove the GMC and RAM back to back.....the GMC just felt more solid, and more like a grown up truck, where the RAM made me feel like I was in college again, and just felt a little sloppier......I wish GMC would start some incentive, cause I think the are overpriced right now and I get supplier pricing.  This is down the street from me, and I love everything about that truck EXCEPT that fact that its a FCA product....https://www.gerrywood-dodge.com/new-Salisbury-2019-RAM-1500-Laramie-1C6SRFJT8KN587040 . Anything equivalent in GMC (SLT/AT4/Denali) is gonna me 50-55k right now. Interior on the GMC is not as nice, but I really think its a more solid product. 

Still gonna go drive Fords, and Toyotas, but as many have stated the interior of the toyota is SOOO Dated and I just don't like it. Ford may be dropping a new interior in 2020, which would be nice, but I have been waiting 1.5years for a truck already and I'm getting antsy. Thought about the nissan, but will probably bypass it. Look on car gurus, seems like these things lose 50% of their value once its driven off the lot. They are giving them away.......

On 1/30/2019 at 5:41 PM, OnTheReel said:

The K2 trucks are pretty well sorted out. If reliability is key, I don’t think you could do any better than a 2018 Sierra / Silverado.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my 2019 but there are some definite bugs that need to be worked out. I work from home and have flexibility so I’m willing to deal with some crap here and there because I do love the look. It is a better truck than the ‘18, but not as reliable yet. Waiting for the 2020 or at least until the ‘19s are worked out isn’t a bad idea if you don’t need it right away.

The Toyota is hopelessly outdated. It might be a good buy on the used market but mentally I could never spend money on a new truck that looks and behaves like a 12 year old one. Just does not compute. 

What kinks are you running into with your new truck? just out of curiosity??? Browsing the RAM forums their are TONS of issues, but have not seen many people complain on here....another reason ill probably be going with the GMC product. 

Nothing at all like the Ram, thankfully. Main issue I’ve been fighting is the trailer monitoring and parking sensors going berserk in cold weather (below 20 is the magic number for my truck). There’s a big thread in the troubleshooting area about it. No fix yet but hopefully soon. I also had a steering and brake assist error once but never again, and probably cold related too (it was -19). Overall I’m about 1000 miles in and I do love the truck. Just waiting for electrical bugs to get fixed. 

The new Ram has a gorgeous interior, even the lower trim competes well with the upper trim GM T1, F-150 and blows even the highest end Tundra out of the water. I also like the look, specifically the color matched models. The incentives they are giving right now also make the Ram the best value in terms of options/price, hands down. I like others, just don't trust Chrysler quality. They have earned the poor track record they have. That's the only thing that is stopping me from buying one. 

I've had F-150s in the past (an '05 and a '10), I liked both of them, but the new model just feels cheap to me. It doesn't have the solid feeling Ford trucks of old had. All you have to do is slam the door on one and listen to it. I guess that's the aluminum cab in action. I also don't like the way Ford packages their trucks. It makes you have to pay a lot just to get one option you might want. GM is guilty of this as well.

Ram is the best at offering people a la carte options, and it's why they are seeing the sales gains they are. 

The Tundra is a solid truck, nothing more, nothing less. They also hold their value like crazy. Obviously, they are the most dated truck on the market, almost embarrassingly so.  If they would make some updates, and maybe get a little more aggressive with their pricing, I would look hard at one. 

I don't know much about the new Nissans. I don't think I've ever looked at one in person. 

Edited by jlong1984

On 1/30/2019 at 5:41 PM, OnTheReel said:

The K2 trucks are pretty well sorted out. If reliability is key, I don’t think you could do any better than a 2018 Sierra / Silverado.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my 2019 but there are some definite bugs that need to be worked out. I work from home and have flexibility so I’m willing to deal with some crap here and there because I do love the look. It is a better truck than the ‘18, but not as reliable yet. Waiting for the 2020 or at least until the ‘19s are worked out isn’t a bad idea if you don’t need it right away.

The Toyota is hopelessly outdated. It might be a good buy on the used market but mentally I could never spend money on a new truck that looks and behaves like a 12 year old one. Just does not compute. 

Also, only thing driving me away from those trucks are two-three things...1 Chevy Shake.....2. No VENTs in the rear/smaller back seat. 3. Magna ride seems to have issues around 75-100k, and imagine they will be hard to replace in the coming years. I could probably get a 2018 loaded denali for pretty cheap at local dealer, but can't seem to get over the small back seat. Only a one kid family right now, but plans to expand.....

In my dealings with business owners over 40 years in the heavy duty variety the vehicles I would see the most were Fords then Dodge- Ram. Fleet buyers predominantly bought Ford 1/2 tons. These were people who depended on daily reliability to get people and equipment to the job. People who used trucks for modifications, performance or toys usually had Chevys. I very rarely saw a Chevy pulling heavy. That’s just my observation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk