Opinion on Shock issues?

For the original diagnosis, a popping noise would seem more like a top mount or ball joint than the actual shock. Might just need a little investigation & loosening/tightening some nuts & bolts.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, diyer2 said:

I beg to differ.

I have 64 K miles on my original Ranchos and drive dirt roads.

Stiff, yes.

No leaking shocks though. 

:)

In order to fall under the Fail category, the Ranchos do not just have to leak.

The internal gas escapes and they become a pogo stick. Ever drive over railroad track crossings? Or jump up and down in the bed and feel like you are on a spring mattress?

Bilsteins will give you that Tempur-Pedic feel :thumbs:

13 minutes ago, Sierra Dan said:

Mine were shot at 40K

Not to mention they had rusty areas and peeling paint.

A far cry from 12K mentioned, not sayin they’re great but certainly gonna go past 12K

Edited by SS502

Just throwing this out there.  Cracking Popping sound??  Check your wheel bearing on that side.  Jack tire off ground and grab at the top and pull back and forth.  See if there is any play.  Stranger things have happened.

2 hours ago, Mozzer said:

For the original diagnosis, a popping noise would seem more like a top mount or ball joint than the actual shock. Might just need a little investigation & loosening/tightening some nuts & bolts.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

I second this. That's where a similar noise for me came from when the shock unloaded and loaded as I was driving. Tightened down the center shock bolt, and the noise stopped.

1 hour ago, Sierra Dan said:

Mine were shot at 40K

Not to mention they had rusty areas and peeling paint.

Mine have a small amount of rust near the bottom and I only have 15k miles on the truck. No where near being shot! 

• 1 year later...

If the tech said to replace them, I say do it. It may fix the problem and will probably ride better too.

The factory Rancho shock/struts are too bouncy in my opinion. I wanted to buy a 4x4 instead of a Z71 because of my dislike of them. Unfortunately, the dealer only had a demo 4x4 when I was ready to buy.

I recommend the 5100’s. I have them now and used them on my 07 Silverado I used to have. Both were/are used at stock setting and used with leveling/lift kits.