Blackbear worth another tuner

33 minutes ago, 1SLOW1500 said:

$600 is new price I see used ones all the time for $300-450. But even at 600 with credits you can tune 2 or 3 vehicles. And then $50 a credit the sky is the limit. There is a LOT left in both these vehicles. On the ZL1 there are posted files that are free. Copy and write drive and enjoy.
The truck is a few things but yes GM did this. Between v4 fuel cut. TM is the most misunderstood part of the truck. Fact is you push the pedal and the computer says no 100% throttle in fact you will never get 100 and then there is slip and shift command. Back in the day it was just rpm. Now engine load and user input demand. But all this is bases on torque tables. So if it sees 40% throttle and it thinks that is 300lbtq but your truck really is 1000lbtq then computer stops throttle by reducing that tells the trans to see less input and down shift, when you want the opposite. There is more tuning in the trans and torque tables than fuel.
On say a factory truck just a trans tune and torque management takes that listed power they claim and puts it to the ground. Again issue with dyno is people just look for the peak number not realizing that that is a only a X gear pull no shift and then you look at the graph and where you really get it at. Also on the roller there isn't any traction issues. Smoke and mirrors in power numbers.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I definitely see what you are saying as far as just getting HPT... Im not an idiot when it comes to vehicles, I just never did it before and all that data thats available seems kind of overwhelming at first...Im not that old, but most of my experience is with carbs and "chips"...lol

Thanks for explaining about the trans stuff, it makes sense on why they feel the way they do...

Maybe I will just have to take the plunge and get HPT

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ftwhite said:

Ok, so I looked back at the offer from BB on 2018 trans tune. I was wrong. What they offer to do is tune a 2018 8speed by swapping the TCU from a 2016. You need to provide the 2016 8speed TCU. They set it up for your truck. $50.
I have no insight as to what might get lost from the 2018 TCU, but if you dislike the factory program, it is a option to get something different.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Yeah, thats what they told me too... I would need to get a USED 2015-2016 8 speed TCM a T87 ... It has to be one that was already used and not a new one... I have read some posts on people doing the swap and it not working properly with the 2017-2018 ECMs ... 

Do you feel you dont need a TCM tune since you got the ECM tune done?

Yeah, thats what they told me too... I would need to get a USED 2015-2016 8 speed TCM a T87 ... It has to be one that was already used and not a new one... I have read some posts on people doing the swap and it not working properly with the 2017-2018 ECMs ... 

Do you feel you dont need a TCM tune since you got the ECM tune done?
Would love to hear from someone who got the TCU swap. Know any threads before I go looking?

No, and yes. The ECU tune made a huge difference from factory. I can't imagine Wot being any better if I could shift different. However, only ~80% of the time downshifts are where I want them. The 6.2 & 8speed, in most highway driving, doesn't seem to need downshifts often, but when you want it, it is not alway there on command. I also drive a manual Suburu with 500+ awhp, and a manual jeep jk, so that squews my expectations.

The low-speed, light throttle behavior of the 8speed is annoying, but I've grown use to it, and try to ignore it. I've had worse in Suburban 6speeds.

1 hour ago, ftwhite said:

Would love to hear from someone who got the TCU swap. Know any threads before I go looking?

No, and yes. The ECU tune made a huge difference from factory. I can't imagine Wot being any better if I could shift different. However, only ~80% of the time downshifts are where I want them. The 6.2 & 8speed, in most highway driving, doesn't seem to need downshifts often, but when you want it, it is not alway there on command. I also drive a manual Suburu with 500+ awhp, and a manual jeep jk, so that squews my expectations.

The low-speed, light throttle behavior of the 8speed is annoying, but I've grown use to it, and try to ignore it. I've had worse in Suburban 6speeds.

I dont know where the posts were off the top of my head... I know there were some over on  performance trucks.net...

I agree even in stock form...highway driving is fine as it stays locked into 8th and doesnt need to really downshift much at all...but when you need to hit it, it may only downshift 1 gear, when i would like it to go to 6th or even 5th, but it just wont do it.

i agree there is some quirkiness to the low speed driving, for me it seems to be getting a little better since i have 8500 miles on it now...It seems the more miles i put on it gets a little better... It does still hang a shift now and then and i alot of the time for slower speed driving I will put it in M7 to eliminate the AFM... I like the AFM for highway trips, but for everyday driving its sucky..

In my 2011 6.2/6spd. 3.73 combo i had before this, was great, but i did have it tuned as well..stock they leave alot to be desired...

I did the TCM swap with Blackbear. Didn't work. I have not read about a confirmed case of it working on this forum or performancetrucks.net

BlackBear's ECM tune is rockin' though. If I ever unlock my TCM, I'll have BlackBear tune it.

Just to clear some things up here, the 8-speed T87A TCM is tunable on a 2017+ ONLY after HPTuners unlocks it ($200 and you have to mail it to them, so add shipping and undrivable downtime). You can also just buy an extra unlocked TCM from HPT for $400. Once you have an unlocked TCM, you can tune it with HPT (it'll take a one-time 4 credits off of your HPT handheld to do so) OR you can tune it with Blackbear's EFI LIve handheld.

Once you buy an EFI Live handheld from Blackbear, he will tune your ECM and TCM as many times as you want for free if you need to dial in your initial tune or do an additional mod. If you buy HPT and use a shop to tune your ECM and/or TCM, they will charge you for every new tune. Or you can just not buy any handheld and have a shop tune it, but then you're most likely always going to pay for a retune. So if you know how to tune yourself, then buy HPT. If you need someone to tune for you, go to a local shop and pay their price, but know that any change will require a new payment OR buy a BlackBear tune and know that retunes after mods are free. Some people say getting an in-person tune is way better than an internet tune like BlackBear, but people that are just tuning a stock truck will be totally fine using BlackBear.

If anything didn't make sense or you have additional questions, feel free to ask. I've beed through it all with BlackBear and with HPT. I own both and use both.

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Mileguru said:

I did the TCM swap with Blackbear. Didn't work. I have not read about a confirmed case of it working on this forum or performancetrucks.net

BlackBear's ECM tune is rockin' though. If I ever unlock my TCM, I'll have BlackBear tune it.

Just to clear some things up here, the 8-speed T87A TCM is tunable on a 2017+ ONLY after HPTuners unlocks it ($200 and you have to mail it to them, so add shipping and undrivable downtime). You can also just buy an extra unlocked TCM from HPT for $400. Once you have an unlocked TCM, you can tune it with HPT (it'll take a one-time 4 credits off of your HPT handheld to do so) OR you can tune it with Blackbear's EFI LIve handheld.

Once you buy an EFI Live handheld from Blackbear, he will tune your ECM and TCM as many times as you want for free if you need to dial in your initial tune or do an additional mod. If you buy HPT and use a shop to tune your ECM and/or TCM, they will charge you for every new tune. Or you can just not buy any handheld and have a shop tune it, but then you're most likely always going to pay for a retune. So if you know how to tune yourself, then buy HPT. If you need someone to tune for you, go to a local shop and pay their price, but know that any change will require a new payment OR buy a BlackBear tune and know that retunes after mods are free. Some people say getting an in-person tune is way better than an internet tune like BlackBear, but people that are just tuning a stock truck will be totally fine using BlackBear.

If anything didn't make sense or you have additional questions, feel free to ask. I've beed through it all with BlackBear and with HPT. I own both and use both.

I don't think Blackbear will tune the unlocked TCM from HPT. I asked them specifically about buying an unlocked one from HPT and having them tune it and their reply was " Unfortunately, we would not be able to tune that TCM. The HP Tuners unlocked TCMs will only work with HP tuners"

I believe since they use EFI Live, they cant tune it, even though its unlocked

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ajensen383 said:

I don't think Blackbear will tune the unlocked TCM from HPT. I asked them specifically about buying an unlocked one from HPT and having them tune it and their reply was " Unfortunately, we would not be able to tune that TCM. The HP Tuners unlocked TCMs will only work with HP tuners"

I believe since they use EFI Live, they cant tune it, even though its unlocked

Very strange. BB never said anything of the sort to me. The only reason I can see him not wanting to tune a TCM that is unlocked by HPT is because some tuners don't agree with HPT's business practices. That's politics though, not physical/mechanical ability. An unlocked TCM is an unlocked TCM. Once it's unlocked, it can be tuned. Even HPT themselves told me that the unlocked T87A should be able to be tuned by EFI Live (but they don't guarantee it of course, since it's not their tuning platform). Or maybe the difference is in your 2018 versus my 2017, but I doubt that too.

Ok first no person or company should only tune once. They should tune it till the agreed goals are reached. Or till the physical limits of the plateform are found. Then it is done. If the customer then or farther down the road add new parts and wants more tuning there is a price. But you are not paying the full tune price again. As unlock credits and base tune are all in. I have calles,emailed, and know more than a dozen tuners and everyone says the same. But this is the most misunderstood part of the work.
Efi live is good software. In my option 2nd only to hpt. That said all your tuners like that are log and send to them they tweet it and send back. This can be 100% as good as dyno. However it relies alot on the owner to know why he is doing and logging. Wideband and all mechanical. And also this can take tune and many tunes yo dial in. Again stock trucks not so much. Dyno in person one day all done tunes are the best. For everyone on time and quality. As the one that know the most and is the tune can in under a minute fix all base issues rather than email wait and hope you understand to write it or worst get the tools out and fix it.
Only reason against HPT is it can be to much for some people and it can do everything good and bad. But if you can't do it just pretend it is BB and get a tuner that will email you a tune. There are 3 that are called the best in the business. And the prices are low.
Another thing no one has said is what happens when you want to take a BB time and controller in to a shop to have dynoes or trouble shot or tuned? My quess is most if not all are going to say bye. Flash stock and pay full price and I will do work.
Nothing against BB I'm sure he is good. Im just questioning options,cost, and ability after on the service side. Food for thought.

Jeez yall completely jacked the OPs thread

Diablew is the way to go

HPT is OVERKILL!!!!!!!!!
Oh no that this again. Thya was settled long ago.
Diablo blows. But maybe some people are into that. Hahah
I better get out of here before I get internet attacked over options..... running away...