Car and Driver Rips New Silverado 1500

The LT Trail Boss I am test driving for the weekend is rock solid. I have taken it down bombed out, pot hole riddle frost f&%$#d roads with not a rattle. Yes, may not be 22's but the truck is tight! Previous ride is a babied Titan Pro4 X with 25000 kms on it and it was never as solid.

18 hours ago, avalonandl said:

Well first 22 inch wheels, really? Stick with 20's, ride will be improved.

Some people value comfort as "ride quality", some value not getting seasick in corners.  Ride quality is subjective.

22s will provide a bumpier ride, but better handling all other things being equal (air pressure, tire choice, etc).

The tire upsize to nearly 33" on some trims gives the new truck with 22s as much sidewall as the old truck had with 20s.

I dont really pay too much attention to reviews on anything.  I will say this, Ive driven lots of trucks.  For a long time I drove a 93 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 single cab long bed with the 5.9 Cummins with a 3" lift, a 400lb custom made front bumper and a winch on it.  You have never felt a true rough ride until youve had to drive that truck for 8 hours and watched helplessly as your guts rattled out of your body LOL.  

That being said, my next new truck will be a diesel and wont be a chevy.  While I love my '14 half ton but GM just refuses to get rid of this outdated interior or do any significant tech upgrades inside.  Newsflash, with auto makers dropping sedans and focusing on SUV's and trucks, keeping ahead of the Jones is a requirement now, whether we like it or not.  GM fails miserably at this.  Its like they want to go bankrupt again, which is unfortunate because they make outstanding engines and for the most part transmissions.  Good thing me nor my dollars are brand loyal.

• Like 5

On 1/12/2019 at 2:06 PM, MikeNH said:

Set a cap of MSRP around $45k and test the trucks normal people buy.

This would be relevant, but it takes an awful lot of "rules" and cooperation / truck availability from the offices loaning out the test vehicles to try and get an apples to apples comparison.  I've seen some media outlets screw it up fairly badly.  For example, if one company sends a crew cab, and one sends a double cab, the double cab is probably going to have more options than the crew, at the same pricepoint. 

Shopping for a full size pickup is pretty easy, without the help of too much media though.  There are only 5 options (GM, Ram, Ford, Toyota, Nissan), and most buyers can rule out two or three of those right off the bat, based on their own preferences and biases. 

For me, I axed the Nissan, Toyota, and Ram based on appearance, standard features, or economy, so it was just between the Ford and the GM.  GM had better discounts and financing rate, so that was that.  Easy.

9 hours ago, rkj__ said:

For me, I axed the Nissan, Toyota, and Ram based on appearance, standard features, or economy, so it was just between the Ford and the GM.  GM had better discounts and financing rate, so that was that.  Easy.

When I bought my '14 thats exactly why I went to Chevy.  I was trading in a tundra and wasnt paying full price for an updated body only, the ram at the time was not attractive, and nissans are hideous.  It was between ford and chevy.  Ford was releasing a new year model in 2015 yet the dealers wouldnt budge on their pricing.  After trying to work with a dealer on a price for two hours I up and left and the salesman was mad LOL.  He didnt even bother to call me back to offer a better price, thats how mad he was that I just up and walked out.  A month later I called the chevy dealer next door and walked out with a great price in a few hours.  But I digress, today Chevy would have to offer me a great price and 0% financing to get me to leave in a new GM truck.  It just irks me that GM can make great platforms but insist on catering to a group thats is not buying new vehicles that often.  Times have changed, GM has not.

• Like 2

On 1/13/2019 at 2:34 PM, Ultra54 said:

The LT Trail Boss I am test driving for the weekend is rock solid. I have taken it down bombed out, pot hole riddle frost f&%$#d roads with not a rattle. Yes, may not be 22's but the truck is tight! Previous ride is a babied Titan Pro4 X with 25000 kms on it and it was never as solid.

Give it a few years as i have been driving gm trucks starting with my 1989 s10 baja, after close to 3 decades using gm product they all loosen up and rattle after a few years. Main difference now is with my previous gm's they honored rattles under the extended warranty and tried to fix them. Now they just hide behind the list of things a extended warranty no longer covers and interior trim is one of them! 

Here in the north most people buy LT and LT Z71, I have a Custom. Everything here cost 30% more and we mostly wait for big GM discounts before buying a truck. I look for a truck that is easy to use and reliable. Let see how the touch screen does when it's cold and you are wearing gloves. My only next choice of any brand of truck would be a F-150, probably the 5.0l, had an old 93 F-150 5.0 used and was able to be used as I needed it to. In my area there are rows and rows of used RAM's on dealership lot, seems lots of them gets sold and lots of them gets traded for something else. 

On 2019-01-13 at 2:34 PM, Ultra54 said:

That’s good to hear. I hope the new platform stays that way for years to come!

On 1/14/2019 at 7:31 AM, DirtyMarcus said:

GM just refuses to get rid of this outdated interior or do any significant tech upgrades inside.  Newsflash, with auto makers dropping sedans and focusing on SUV's and trucks, keeping ahead of the Jones is a requirement now, whether we like it or not.  GM fails miserably at this.  Its like they want to go bankrupt again, which is unfortunate because they make outstanding engines and for the most part transmissions.  Good thing me nor my dollars are brand loyal.

I guess interior styling is subjective... I prefer the interior in my 2016 to anything on the market... The Fiats & FERDS look out of place in a truck.. I like classic and subtle styling but, that's just me.. Also I could care less if the Fiat Ram has a 27" screen and baby cow skin with diamond accents, back massagers and a 46 speaker sound system, it's going to rust out before it's 10 years old and hits 250k miles.. I value reliability and ride comfort over a space age interior..

Edited by Imcrazy
  • Like 1

I guess interior styling is subjective... I prefer the interior in my 2016 to anything on the market... The Fiats & FERDS look out of place in a truck.. I like classic and subtle styling but, that's just me.. Also I could care less if the Fiat Ram has a 27" screen and baby cow skin with diamond accents, back massagers and a 46 speaker sound system, it's going to rust out before it's 10 years old and hits 250k miles.. I value reliability and ride comfort over a space age interior..

The Trail Boss interior is light years advanced compared to my 15 Titan but that being said I don’t make mind simple and didn’t mind the Nissan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41 minutes ago, Ultra54 said:

The Trail Boss interior is light years advanced compared to my 15 Titan but that being said I don’t make mind simple and didn’t mind the Nissan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I loved my Nissan Xterra! Very simple interior. And my last Silverado was a 13. Some may say that the 19 is boring or not refined enough. I disagree. It is awesome! Also looking forward to seeing your new Silverado havana metallic trail boss... I haven't seen one with that color combo yet! 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Shawnr487 said:

I loved my Nissan Xterra! Very simple interior. And my last Silverado was a 13. Some may say that the 19 is boring or not refined enough. I disagree. It is awesome! Also looking forward to seeing your new Silverado havana metallic trail boss... I haven't seen one with that color combo yet! 

Man, it was tough deciding. It's so hard to tell from photos or youtube. I put a deposit and ordered it yesterday. Six to 8 weeks out which is perfect as the weather here is brutal now. They're giving me a good trade and some good discounts. Here are a few packages I went with.

-trifold soft tonneau cover

-sunroof

-leather

-advanced trailer pkg.

-convenience with buckets

-convenience II

-safety package

-LPO assists 4" black tubular steps

-bed protection pkg

image.thumb.png.170138fba52934deaa71c83627f72373.png

image.thumb.png.5335b3fc0fa98e6272b2822231e08cae.png

image.png

Edited by Ultra54
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Ultra54 said:

Man, it was tough deciding. It's so hard to tell from photos or youtube. I put a deposit and ordered it yesterday. Six to 8 weeks out which is perfect as the weather here is brutal now. They're giving me a good trade and some good discounts. Here are a few packages I went with.

-trifold soft tonneau cover

-sunroof

-leather

-advanced trailer pkg.

-convenience with buckets

-convenience II

-safety package

-LPO assists 4" black tubular steps

-bed protection pkg

image.thumb.png.170138fba52934deaa71c83627f72373.png

image.thumb.png.5335b3fc0fa98e6272b2822231e08cae.png

image.png

That looks sweet! I know how you feel about color. I had a hard time deciding between the Cajun and Havana 

• Like 1

I had a Red Hot they lent me for the weekend and I would be happy with that and even more so, the Cajun. The next bit of research is rubber. They will take the stock tire off and put on what I want. Personally I like the look of a smaller rim/bigger tire than low profile. I'd like something an inch or so taller, not necessarily wide though.