Car and Driver Rips New Silverado 1500

On 1/13/2019 at 11:02 AM, Aycock1987 said:

Take a look at the comments on Car and Drivers review. I can definitely relate to much of the comments on FCA products. They do know how to make attractive products inside and out but from my experience and my friends/families experience, NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS. I’ll take TFL Truck reviews over any of these others. At least they review on the things that matter such as efficiency, towing, durability, off-road, etc. 

Yes, GM could do a better job on the interior even though it’s not a bad interior... I actually prefer it... I think the 12 inch screen is nothing but a distraction. I have a close family member who is a manager at a Chevrolet dealership and he has already had 2 people trade their 2019 Rams in for a new Silverado. 

Just like when looking for a retlationahip, “looks aren’t everything”. 

900B7C9B-9C12-4E21-85E9-E6E8BACA0437.png

Keep reading about FCA problems and yet I owned a 2012 Grand Cherokee Altitude for 2 years problem free. 4 years into a Ram 1500 and totally problem free.

On 1/12/2019 at 12:44 PM, ickyoldman said:

In a compare the Silverado came in last, big time.  When will Chevy up their game in all aspects?  Embarrassing

Those people also voted the Honda Ridgeline Best Mid-sized pickup truck. lol.

I think the 2019 Silverado has a lot going for it and the Trail Boss is most certainly a truck I might be purchasing soon.

I've been researching the Trail Boss and the RAM rebel like crazy and both have their positives and negatives.

I am not brand loyal and I've owned or driven many different brands over the years.

I hear nothing but negative comments from Ford and Chevy owners about FCA products but I got to tell you that I've had 4 years with my RAM 1500 Hemi and its been wonderful. Before that I owned a Grand Cherokee Altitude and that was very reliable too.

The Trail Boss looks stunning on the outside and even more so when you see it in person. I've already decided that if I get one its going to be in Shadow Gray and loaded with leather, conv packages, safety package, off road steps.

I drove one last weekend and on the whole it was pretty good. It was not perfect but there was nothing that had me crossing this truck off my list. Biggest complaints I had was that the leather drivers seat felt flat and rock solid. Maybe I need more time to fine tune the position, but it was not that comfortable. I was surprised to find I could not adjust the seat belt height. Even my 2015 Black Ram Express has that and this is pretty basic. The tires or suspension most certainly shook the truck a little while driving on tarmac but I'd need to drive it again and for a longer period on the freeway to see if it would drive me crazy.

After reading all the reviews and watching many youtube videos I was expecting to hate the interior in the Trail Boss but I didn't. In fact it was actually pretty nice, simple and clear and I would be happy with it.

My biggest gripe is the engine. If I could get the 6.2 then I would be over the moon. 5.3 feels like a downgrade from my 5.7 Hemi, though I need to drive it again to see how it performs when pushed hard.

My regular RAM dealer know that I am considering both vehicles and so they gave me a Rebel for the weekend. Its sitting on my drive as I type this. Its a crew cab with the air suspension and 8 inch screen.

First things first. The interior does indeed feel of a higher quality than the Trail Boss. For some reason it even feels larger in the cabin too. If I recall, they both have the Duratrac tires but the RAM drives smooth, I am talking limo smooth compared to the Trail boss. I am sure that if I had my family ride in both vehicles they would pick the Rebel because of its comfort, ride and tech.

Every magazine, blog or youtube video seems to rate the Rebel first and I get that, it is a good truck.

But I realized after only driving 25 miles that something is missing. Its gone too far and its too refined.

I think they've taken away the feeling I get from a vehicle when I prod the gas or turn the wheel. It is just too quiet, too smooth, too slow to respond to driver inputs.

It did not make me feel special at all. When I climb into the Rebel I can appreciate the quality and refinement but I ask myself do I want to trade my 2015 RAM Hemi with a Flowmaster exhaust for this? I just know I would have regrets.

I like a car/truck to feel good. My 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE makes me smile every time I drive it. I do not care that I cant see a darn thing behind me. I slide that baby sideways while the exhaust screams in Track mode and it feels good.

I want a truck to feel special every time I climb into it and I think the Trail Boss might just be it.

It looks mean on the outside and the 2 inch lift looks great. I'd feel good driving around in that.

All is not lost with the Silverado.

Now if only it could be had with the 6.2 V8. :-)

Edited by Texan Brit
  • Like 1

On 1/18/2019 at 11:51 PM, Texan Brit said:

Those people also voted the Honda Ridgeline Best Mid-sized pickup truck. lol.

I think the 2019 Silverado has a lot going for it and the Trail Boss is most certainly a truck I might be purchasing soon.

I've been researching the Trail Boss and the RAM rebel like crazy and both have their positives and negatives.

I am not brand loyal and I've owned or driven many different brands over the years.

I hear nothing but negative comments from Ford and Chevy owners about FCA products but I got to tell you that I've had 4 years with my RAM 1500 Hemi and its been wonderful. Before that I owned a Grand Cherokee Altitude and that was very reliable too.

The Trail Boss looks stunning on the outside and even more so when you see it in person. I've already decided that if I get one its going to be in Shadow Gray and loaded with leather, conv packages, safety package, off road steps.

I drove one last weekend and on the whole it was pretty good. It was not perfect but there was nothing that had me crossing this truck off my list. Biggest complaints I had was that the leather drivers seat felt flat and rock solid. Maybe I need more time to fine tune the position, but it was not that comfortable. I was surprised to find I could not adjust the seat belt height. Even my 2015 Black Ram Express has that and this is pretty basic. The tires or suspension most certainly shook the truck a little while driving on tarmac but I'd need to drive it again and for a longer period on the freeway to see if it would drive me crazy.

After reading all the reviews and watching many youtube videos I was expecting to hate the interior in the Trail Boss but I didn't. In fact it was actually pretty nice, simple and clear and I would be happy with it.

My biggest gripe is the engine. If I could get the 6.2 then I would be over the moon. 5.3 feels like a downgrade from my 5.7 Hemi, though I need to drive it again to see how it performs when pushed hard.

My regular RAM dealer know that I am considering both vehicles and so they gave me a Rebel for the weekend. Its sitting on my drive as I type this. Its a crew cab with the air suspension and 8 inch screen.

First things first. The interior does indeed feel of a higher quality than the Trail Boss. For some reason it even feels larger in the cabin too. If I recall, they both have the Duratrac tires but the RAM drives smooth, I am talking limo smooth compared to the Trail boss. I am sure that if I had my family ride in both vehicles they would pick the Rebel because of its comfort, ride and tech.

Every magazine, blog or youtube video seems to rate the Rebel first and I get that, it is a good truck.

But I realized after only driving 25 miles that something is missing. Its gone too far and its too refined.

I think they've taken away the feeling I get from a vehicle when I prod the gas or turn the wheel. It is just too quiet, too smooth, too slow to respond to driver inputs.

It did not make me feel special at all. When I climb into the Rebel I can appreciate the quality and refinement but I ask myself do I want to trade my 2015 RAM Hemi with a Flowmaster exhaust for this? I just know I would have regrets.

I like a car/truck to feel good. My 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE makes me smile every time I drive it. I do not care that I cant see a darn thing behind me. I slide that baby sideways while the exhaust screams in Track mode and it feels good.

I want a truck to feel special every time I climb into it and I think the Trail Boss might just be it.

It looks mean on the outside and the 2 inch lift looks great. I'd feel good driving around in that.

All is not lost with the Silverado.

Now if only it could be had with the 6.2 V8. :-)

Well I’m like you in that I love the look of the trail boss but want a 6.2 in it.  That and I love my options I’ve grown used too with the LTZ.

So I have a LTZ decked with every option, including the 6.2 ordered.  Also when the truck is about 1-2 weeks out from delivery the dealer will get all the black parts, and the RST 22s instead of the ones that some with the trail boss, including the 2 inch lift.  When the truck arrives, before I take delivery, they will install all the parts essentially making it a trail boss with LTZ packages and 6.2.

the price will be higher off the start but I will be able to sell all the parts that were removed and recoup a good chunk of the added cost.

i had to do this with my 15 also.  I didn’t want all the chrome that came with the LTZ so they ordered painted parts that they swapped on arrival.  I was able to sell all the chrome stuff within about a week of having the truck.

Again this is why fords options are so much more simple.  Why not have a LTZ sport that comes all body colored and LTZ chrome. Just like the 6.2 you are forced into things you would t want. Why not give us the option. Let us decide. 

8 hours ago, f8l vnm said:

Again this is why fords options are so much more simple.  Why not have a LTZ sport that comes all body colored and LTZ chrome. Just like the 6.2 you are forced into things you would t want. Why not give us the option. Let us decide. 

They make more money when they force us to buy the extra garbage we don't want in order to get the few features we do want.

On 1/24/2019 at 12:08 PM, obfirefighter22 said:

Well I’m like you in that I love the look of the trail boss but want a 6.2 in it.  That and I love my options I’ve grown used too with the LTZ.

So I have a LTZ decked with every option, including the 6.2 ordered.  Also when the truck is about 1-2 weeks out from delivery the dealer will get all the black parts, and the RST 22s instead of the ones that some with the trail boss, including the 2 inch lift.  When the truck arrives, before I take delivery, they will install all the parts essentially making it a trail boss with LTZ packages and 6.2.

the price will be higher off the start but I will be able to sell all the parts that were removed and recoup a good chunk of the added cost.

i had to do this with my 15 also.  I didn’t want all the chrome that came with the LTZ so they ordered painted parts that they swapped on arrival.  I was able to sell all the chrome stuff within about a week of having the truck.

If you dont mind me asking, what did the black out parts run you in total? 

8 hours ago, Chris walker said:

If you dont mind me asking, what did the black out parts run you in total? 

Without looking the paper at it at the moment, I want to say around 3k.  That’s including the grille&bumpers(easily the most expensive), then handles/mirror caps/window trim.  But then the 22s black rst wheels(without tires mounted because I’m getting my own) is somewhere around 2,800.

it all is a tough pill to swallow at first, but I also will get to sell the original parts and get most the money back.

• Like 1

Without looking the paper at it at the moment, I want to say around 3k.  That’s including the grille&bumpers(easily the most expensive), then handles/mirror caps/window trim.  But then the 22s black rst wheels(without tires mounted because I’m getting my own) is somewhere around 2,800.

it all is a tough pill to swallow at first, but I also will get to sell the original parts and get most the money back.

Do they all come factory painted black? I want to get black handles for my high country

17 hours ago, obfirefighter22 said:

Definitely a tough pill to swallow but thats going to look great. Please post pics when you get it.

• Thanks 1

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 11:54 AM, f8l vnm said:

RST is basically a body colored LTZ of sorts, since you can option out an RST to get LTZ features.

58 minutes ago, Sierra Dan said:

RST is basically a body colored LTZ of sorts, since you can option out an RST to get LTZ features.

More like a hybrid LT - LTZ.   I have an RST built fully loaded all the way.. allstar, convenience II and Z71 and I still couldn't get auto dim rear view, folding side mirrors, power passenger seat or memory save seats.  Folding side mirrors is the only thing I really miss.  But I couldn't do all the chrome on the LTZ.