Car and Driver Rips New Silverado 1500

1 hour ago, Sierra Dan said:

RST is basically a body colored LTZ of sorts, since you can option out an RST to get LTZ features.

Only downside about the RST is you cant get the 6.2L in it

• Like 1

On 1/13/2019 at 11:27 AM, dave07 said:

To be fair my Silverado has had a multitude of problems:

Gas pedal replaced x3
Brake Vacuum Booster replaced
Radio Replaced
Seat movement x2
Steering recall
Seatbelt recall
Seat heater just went out the other day

Not really the epitome of reliability. Worst vehicle I have owned was a Ford. Best has to be my wife’s Lexus...3+ years of ownership, only one problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if toyota could figure out how to build a good looking full size truck inside and out everyone would be in trouble. i put 400,000 plus on 3 different landcruisers (last two were Lexus LX) but i loved my 08 Denali and i like my 18 SLT Seirra, i would go tundra but i think they are bad ugly inside and boring outside. and the 5.7 gets about 11 mpg real world driving

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bhales said:

if toyota could figure out how to build a good looking full size truck inside and out everyone would be in trouble. i put 400,000 plus on 3 different landcruisers (last two were Lexus LX) but i loved my 08 Denali and i like my 18 SLT Seirra, i would go tundra but i think they are bad ugly inside and boring outside. and the 5.7 gets about 11 mpg real world driving

Ugly looks is only a fraction of what's wrong with it. It looks bad, drives bad, tows bad, has outdated tech and like you mentioned has horrible gas mileage. It's just a really bad truck all around compared to "the big three".

• Like 3

1 hour ago, the wanderer said:

Ugly looks is only a fraction of what's wrong with it. It looks bad, drives bad, tows bad, has outdated tech and like you mentioned has horrible gas mileage. It's just a really bad truck all around compared to "the big three".

I just sold my Tundra last week for a '19 High Country. I probably wouldn't gotten a new Tundra if it weren't for the interior, it's pretty outdated and I felt like I was getting a downgrade compared to my 2010 Tundra. I still love the exterior even though I do think it needs a full refresh by now, its' been long enough! Yeah that gas mileage sucks, the towing was more than enough for me, but the interior is what really pushed me over the edge and got me to switch to Chevy. 

This is my first Chevy but so far loving it, interior and exterior suite me just fine!

17 hours ago, GMC-AT said:

More like a hybrid LT - LTZ.   I have an RST built fully loaded all the way.. allstar, convenience II and Z71 and I still couldn't get auto dim rear view, folding side mirrors, power passenger seat or memory save seats.  Folding side mirrors is the only thing I really miss.  But I couldn't do all the chrome on the LTZ. 

Do you think you made the right purchase over a RAM truck.

I know you were debating this move for a while.

How are you liking the 2019 over the previous K2 ?

In regards to the new RAM... I know I could have purchased a RAM for less $$ and had more options over the Silverado ....no doubt.   However, my approach was if my new 2019 Silverado is perfect mechanically .... I will be happy.  The new RAM's have had a lot of issues.. and many are "widespread"   

Going the dealer service department is nearly as worse as the dentist in my mind.  But with my chevy, I have a relationship with my small dealer, have the owners direct number and can/will call him when I need to bring it in. 

So far at 1K miles my Silverado has been perfect....so I'm happy.  Best riding truck I have every owned.  And with the 5.3 in the lighter truck...it moves good. Not missing the 6.2 I had in my K2,  really can't tell a big difference....only gas is cheaper now since I don't need to use premium. 

• Like 2

We went to the car show this last weekend and compared Ram vs Silverado. We looked at the Ram Limited first and all I can say is that if felt sad sitting inside the High Country. Even my kids asked why this new truck (HC) had the same interior as our current truck (2014 LTZ).

One of my friends just bought a Ram and if he dosent have any issues, I will be buying one too later this year.

• Like 1

In regards to the new RAM... I know I could have purchased a RAM for less $$ and had more options over the Silverado ....no doubt.   However, my approach was if my new 2019 Silverado is perfect mechanically .... I will be happy.  The new RAM's have had a lot of issues.. and many are "widespread"   

Going the dealer service department is nearly as worse as the dentist in my mind.  But with my chevy, I have a relationship with my small dealer, have the owners direct number and can/will call him when I need to bring it in. 

So far at 1K miles my Silverado has been perfect....so I'm happy.  Best riding truck I have every owned.  And with the 5.3 in the lighter truck...it moves good. Not missing the 6.2 I had in my K2,  really can't tell a big difference....only gas is cheaper now since I don't need to use premium. 

Lots of issues with the Silverado as well. All new platforms will have their growing pains.

2019 Silverado & Sierra Troubleshooting
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=33003&share_sfid=245&url=https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?/forum/245-2019-Silverado-%26-Sierra-Troubleshooting&share_type=sf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

agree.. but it's nothing like the 2019 RAM -  https://5thgenrams.com/community/forums/5th-gen-general-discussion.13/

My point was.. I'm sure I will need the dealer at some point to fix little things .. but having a relationship with the dealer and not being another "number" was the reason why I stayed with Chevy. 

5 hours ago, GMC-AT said:

agree.. but it's nothing like the 2019 RAM -  https://5thgenrams.com/community/forums/5th-gen-general-discussion.13/

My point was.. I'm sure I will need the dealer at some point to fix little things .. but having a relationship with the dealer and not being another "number" was the reason why I stayed with Chevy. 

Nothing like the new Ram? I've been on all the forums cause basically everything but the Tundra is on my list for this spring.  Personally I have trust issues with Chrysler since both my Jeeps have been problematic but to claim Ram is having more issues is just incorrect. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the Ram if that is what suits me. It's just gonna be from a different dealer cause the one near the office is just a gathering point for worthless employees.

• Like 2

I’m never sad in mine. Now Ram’s 10 year old unchanged engine would make me sad. Toyota’s 12 year old nearly unchanged truck would make me really sad. And the Ford...well no thanks.

Is the interior on mine as fancy as the Ram...no. But it is practical, comfortable and familiar. To each their own I guess.

52 minutes ago, MikeNH said:

Nothing like the new Ram? I've been on all the forums cause basically everything but the Tundra is on my list for this spring.  Personally I have trust issues with Chrysler since both my Jeeps have been problematic but to claim Ram is having more issues is just incorrect. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the Ram if that is what suits me. It's just gonna be from a different dealer cause the one near the office is just a gathering point for worthless employees.

I meant nothing like Ram in a bad way.....yes, rams are junk right now...the reason I didnt buy one. 

1 hour ago, OnTheReel said:

I’m never sad in mine. Now Ram’s 10 year old unchanged engine would make me sad. Toyota’s 12 year old nearly unchanged truck would make me really sad. And the Ford...well no thanks.

Is the interior on mine as fancy as the Ram...no. But it is practical, comfortable and familiar. To each their own I guess.

Funny, how nothing is really ever said of what you mention in most reviews.  They just go...ohhh..nice interior on RAM!  I bet even that is suspect in 1-2yrs?  Look at what these guys are getting for MPG's with E-torque...awful.  GM just makes a solid, reliable truck from nose to tail and it shows 20-30yrs later when they are still driving and RAM,FERDS are few and far between?  You can have your computer screen I wouldn't want that crap in a TRUCK anyway!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, mookdoc6 said:

Funny, how nothing is really ever said of what you mention in most reviews.  They just go...ohhh..nice interior on RAM!  I bet even that is suspect in 1-2yrs?  Look at what these guys are getting for MPG's with E-torque...awful.  GM just makes a solid, reliable truck from nose to tail and it shows 20-30yrs later when they are still driving and RAM,FERDS are few and far between?  You can have your computer screen I wouldn't want that crap in a TRUCK anyway!

Yup. Ram aspires to be the “luxury car” of the truck world. I imagine it will live up to that notion when half of the fancy features don’t work 5 years down the road. Just like an old BMW. High strung, initially impressive, but probably a terrible investment.

Unfortunately Car and Driver appears to be easily distracted by shiny things. Ram wins even though it is the slowest, heaviest, has the worst brakes, smaller cab than the Chevy, smaller bed than the Chevy, lower max payload, lower max towing, and two fewer gears. They seem to miss the point of owning a truck...although most are just used as a status symbol now.