Softer front aftermarket shock then the bilstein.

I know this is a 14-18 section but it seems to get the most traffic. I have a crew cab z71 13. I just installed bilstein rears and was looking to upgrade the front shocks, but i'm worried the bilstein will be to stiff in the front. I drive on the highway to and from work about 50miles each day and really don't go off road. I don't believe my truck has the cheap rancho shocks everyone hates. I do tow a smaller trailer at times and do use the bed of the truck for hauling thats why i went with the bilstein 4600 on the rear.

thanks

As said above, definitely stick with a matched set unless you or someone has proven something else works.

I used to race rally cars in the UK & once had a really bad time when I had different shocks front & rear (both competition spec but different brands). Front & rear end reacting at different speeds etc could give a very choppy ride even on a regular bumpy road.

The 4600s sound like your best bet anyway so you should be happy.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, HeySkippyDog said:

The 4600 is a softer ride than the 5100, which is what a lot of people put on these trucks. In my mind, I'd want all four corners to be the same. Seems like it would be optimum.

I had 5100s in my 2014 and they were great on the highway.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

According to Bilstein, because I asked recently. Neither the 4600 or 5100 is better or heavier duty than the other. I had the 5100's before and yes they are firm, but in a good way. They settle out quicker over bumps. I will be upgrading shocks in the near future and do not need the 1" over capability of the 5100'S so that is why I contacted Bilstein. 

As for ride softness or hardness, suspension plays a way bigger part than shocks. 

I had heard that the 4600 shock was a softer ride. I never tried them, because I prefer firm and went 5100 because I knew they would be. I was not disappointed.

Isn't the 4600 series tubes slightly under the diameter of the 5100s? There's a lot more at play than a little difference in tube diameter, but at a glance, narrower tube=higher pressures=more wear and tear per cycle.

I know this is a 14-18 section but it seems to get the most traffic. I have a crew cab z71 13. I just installed bilstein rears and was looking to upgrade the front shocks, but i'm worried the bilstein will be to stiff in the front. I drive on the highway to and from work about 50miles each day and really don't go off road. I don't believe my truck has the cheap rancho shocks everyone hates. I do tow a smaller trailer at times and do use the bed of the truck for hauling thats why i went with the bilstein 4600 on the rear.
thanks

Do the Bilstein 4600’s. They’re what used to come on the GM Z71 trucks before switching to that Rancho garbage. The 5100’s are the same shocks but 1” taller typically more for leveled trucks. If your truck isn’t the Z71 then you’ve got standard oem gas shocks. Bilsteins are far more responsive than stock shocks too.

Sent from above

Do the Bilstein 4600’s. They’re what used to come on the GM Z71 trucks before switching to that Rancho garbage. The 5100’s are the same shocks but 1” taller typically more for leveled trucks. If your truck isn’t the Z71 then you’ve got standard oem gas shocks. Bilsteins are far more responsive than stock shocks too.

Sent from above
I am not 100% positive but I do think there is a difference in shocks between Z85 and Z60 suspensions. I don't know for certain and haven't looked up GM part numbers, just basing it on feel. My 2014 was a Z60 and my 2017 is a Z85. Different front springs for sure. Seems like damping would not be the same across Z60 and Z85.

I am not 100% positive but I do think there is a difference in shocks between Z85 and Z60 suspensions. I don't know for certain and haven't looked up GM part numbers, just basing it on feel. My 2014 was a Z60 and my 2017 is a Z85. Different front springs for sure. Seems like damping would not be the same across Z60 and Z85.

The Z60 is comparison to the Z71 and the Z85 as a standard 4x4 with less stiffness and more body roll

Sent from above

The Z60 is comparison to the Z71 and the Z85 as a standard 4x4 with less stiffness and more body roll

Sent from above
My Z60 with Bilstein 5100s had the least amount of body roll I ever encountered on a GM truck. I will be replacing my factory shocks in my Z85 with 5100s, but I can't bring myself to do so until they are worn.

My Z60 with Bilstein 5100s had the least amount of body roll I ever encountered on a GM truck. I will be replacing my factory shocks in my Z85 with 5100s, but I can't bring myself to do so until they are worn.

Ummm, they may may worn already. I’d switch them out just for peace of mind. Good luck

Sent from above
  • Like 1

I'll probably go with the 4600, thats what i put on the back and i don't need to raise the front end, i don't want to lose gas mileage. I heard from several ppl raising there fronts decreased gas mileage some. I kind of like the raked look.

My 015 is a non Z71 came with the “black” struts & shocks. I replaced them at 3k with the Pro Comps front & rear (you definitely don’t want these). I listed the factories on Craigslist and some guy bought them for his 011? (Forget what year he said for sure but that body style) I don’t have any idea if they worked or not but he was sure they would. Those black struts & shocks where by far the “softest” shocks I have ever had on anything. Might be worth figuring out if that swap really works and find a set of take offs. 

I have a 2015 Sierra LT 2WD with the Max tow package with 43K and bought it used with 38K, so don't know it's history. I pull an Airstream 27FB and the shocks were so shot I couldn't dial in the weight distribution hitch. Put 4600 on it last week with 10 ply tires and the change is like night and day. This is not my daily driver though and my intention was to make it more like a 2500, but I couldn't be happier with the results. Took it out on a 80 mile test ride over the roads that use to give me fits and it solved all my issues. The ten ply Michelin defender tires ride great but not for a daily driver.

Edited by dsatwork
  • Like 1