Softer front aftermarket shock then the bilstein.

I have a 2014 Sierra LT 2WD with the Max tow package with 43K and bought it used with 38K, so don't know it's history. I pull an Airstream 27FB and the shocks were so shot I couldn't dial in the weight distribution hitch. Put 4600 on it last week with 10 ply tires and the change is like night and day. This is not my daily driver though and my intention was to make it more like a 2500, but I couldn't be happier with the results. Took it out on a 80 mile test ride over the roads that use to give me fits and it solved all my issues. The ten ply Michelin defender tires ride great but not for a daily driver.

Ya, the 10 ply tire does make it a bit rougher even with Michelin’s. My lifted pickup with 10 ply rides smoother than my DMax did and far more fun to drive.

Sent from above

On 1/12/2019 at 6:15 PM, TXGREEK said:

Do the Bilstein 4600’s. They’re what used to come on the GM Z71 trucks before switching to that Rancho garbage. The 5100’s are the same shocks but 1” taller typically more for leveled trucks. If your truck isn’t the Z71 then you’ve got standard oem gas shocks. Bilsteins are far more responsive than stock shocks too.

Sent from above

I work about 1/2 mile from the Bilstein headquarters in Poway, CA and the other day at lunch I knocked on their door and one of the engineers invited me in to discuss the shocks. He said the 4600 are exactly the same shocks as the 5100 but 5100 are adjustable to work with trucks that are lifted. He said that since I just wanted to use my truck for towing and if I didn't think I would want to lift it later, then save the money and go with the 4600. Which I did and love them.

12 hours ago, dsatwork said:

I work about 1/2 mile from the Bilstein headquarters in Poway, CA and the other day at lunch I knocked on their door and one of the engineers invited me in to discuss the shocks. He said the 4600 are exactly the same shocks as the 5100 but 5100 are adjustable to work with trucks that are lifted. He said that since I just wanted to use my truck for towing and if I didn't think I would want to lift it later, then save the money and go with the 4600. Which I did and love them.

They are pretty much the same price though.

4600 shares the same internal valving as 5100, but comes painted yellow with a blue boot.

The 5100 has a longer rod/stroke for leveling and comes in a zinc finish with black boot.

If you want softer try the Tenneco "Rancho" 9000 adjustable and hope the turn knobs hold up.  :thumbs:

• Like 1