Shudder/Vibration Issue

On 1/13/2019 at 6:08 AM, bigman32hockey said:

My brand new '18 Redline Editon developed "the shudder" at around 450 miles.  Mine seems to shudder worst when around 50 mph and constant speed and again between 65-70 mph, where it will do it all the time.  I went to my dealer and was told GM will not reimburse them when they install new torque converters for this issue.  Apparently GM has issued a document (Document ID: 4536930) which says GM engineering has proven the problem is not caused by the torque converter.  The only fix my dealer can offer is the transmission fluid flush and fill with Mobil 1 synthetic.  I know this won't fix the shudder problem, but at this point I have to go through the steps GM offers.  I honestly cannot believe I am having this problem.  I had a '17 Midnight Edition that I traded up from (wanted the 6.2L engine and a few other options).  That truck ran perfectly.  Never had any problems with it.  Less than 1,000 miles on the new one and I regret the day I drove off the lot with it.  Now every time I see another Silverado on the road, I wonder to myself, "I wonder if their truck drives correctly?"  It is ridiculous that a $60,000 truck rides like crap.  I mean, how can GM expect me to be satisfied with this purchase?  If this problem isn't fixed after three attempts, which I doubt it will, I will be hiring a lawyer and proceeding with a Lemon Law claim.  For GM just to say they are aware it's a problem but don't know how to fix it is not acceptable.  Are others out there in the same situation as me?  If you got your's fixed, how exactly did you do it?  Thanks.   

Did they fix your truck...I have a 18 with 6.2 8sp 1100 miles doing same thing ....dealer is looking at it...

Edited by G3108

1 hour ago, ForumUser said:

Mine is no longer shuddering ...feels right.  Only an occasional downshift in traffic approaching traffic light that is not as smooth as previous transmissions.

I hope it stays that way!!! I am waiting to see if after X amount of miles if this truly fixes the problem. I have not experienced it but after some members get some miles on this fix, I may just pay out of pocket as a preventative measure.

Dang it, my new 2018 GMC Denali with about 3,000 just started shuddering tonight on the highway at about 62mph.  Dang. I love this truck but now I feel it has a disease.  I guess I will call the dealer tomorrow.

Had my truck in for the flush yesterday. On the ride home I experienced zero shudder. The transmission feels much less jumpy and confused. It's only been 30 miles or so, but the new fluid does seem to fix the issue. Let's just hope it's a permanent fix. 

• Like 1

On 2/1/2019 at 5:15 PM, G3108 said:

What is the status on most recent tranny flush ? 2018 6.2 with 8speed

I have had mine back from the dealer now for a couple weeks. Had my '18 in with 450 miles on it. Felt the shudder on the way home a couple of times but it appears to be gone now. My dealer didn't have the new Bosch machine but used the new fluid. I have put a few hundred miles on since the flush.

• Like 1

Mine was shuddering for quite a while...did not think much of it until recently as I am quickly approaching 36K...im at 28K so thought i'd take it in. Torque Converter Failure, DOC # PIP5504A is referenced in the documentation.

"....Per bulletin, proceded to removing trans pan and inspecting for excess debri, found significant debri from torque converter clutch desintegrating"

So I put another 30 miles on the truck today.  I have yet to experience any shudder.  Really happy that is finally gone.  As far as the transmission itself goes, I'm still getting slightly hard shifts from 1st-2nd (mostly when under light acceleration).  I'm thinking this is just normal operation for this transmission.  Also, I definitely notice the downshifting when I'm coming to a stop.  I had a '14 and '17 Silverado 1500 before this one.  Neither of those trucks seemed to do this as noticeably.  This is the first Silverado I've had with the 6.2L motor, so maybe that's just how it works?  I don't think there is anything wrong with it.  Just doesn't seem to act the same as my previous trucks.  Anyone else notice anything similar when coming to a stop?  It's not the Grade Braking, either.  I've turned that off and it makes zero difference.

Overall, I'm happy with the truck once again.  I was beginning to hate the thing.  Driving it was not a pleasant experience with the shudder issue.  For those of you who are going through this, rest easy knowing the new Mobil 1 fluid fixes the problem.  Like everyone else on this forum, I just hope it's a permanent fix and not a band-aid.  

Not sure if my issue is the same but I get a shudder (like rumble strips) when I'm in the 4A mode. If I hit a patch of snow or ice and the road is uphill the truck will shudder. It doesn't shudder all the time but just intermittently and only in the 4A mode. 

Not sure if my issue is the same but I get a shudder (like rumble strips) when I'm in the 4A mode. If I hit a patch of snow or ice and the road is uphill the truck will shudder. It doesn't shudder all the time but just intermittently and only in the 4A mode. 

That’s it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, al210 said:

Just picked up a 2018 Silverado LT with 6 speed. No issues I can tell so far. Does this issue only occur on the 8 speed?

No but if it makes you feel any better...I have read all the horror stories and have just over 3K on my 2018 Sierra 6.2 with 8 speed without any problems.

Edited by SS502
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, SS502 said:

No but if it makes you feel any better...I have read all the horror stories and have just over 3K on my 2018 Sierra 6.2 with 8 speed without any problems.

Thanks, I'm pretty picky on noise and vibration. I have the 5.3 with the 6 speed.

Just now, al210 said:

Thanks, I'm pretty picky on noise and vibration. I have the 5.3 with the 6 speed.

I can tell you honestly, that even with my bi-focal vision I could thread a needle in my truck doing 85 mph (as a passenger LOL). I normally stay at below 75 mph but certainly wanted to see if I have any of these vibrations described by others, I do not. I have driven in Drive, L7 (to keep AFM off) and with tow/haul on and off with no issues at all. Before I installed the Borla ATAK Cat-back, I couldn't hear the V8 to V4 switch during AFM but I can hear it now but I rarely ever drive in anything other than L7. I am also on my second set of tires, the stock ones for a few hundred miles and the 275/60R20 BFG K02 tires after my 2.5 inch RC level. All good to go since day one. I have considered having the transmission flushed and filled with the new fluid as a PREVENTATIVE measure only.