Shudder/Vibration Issue

So here's been my recent experience, it seems there is no one-size fits all fix for this issue but mine is now good. I have confidence in my truck again.

I've got a 2016 6.2L Denali, crew cab short bed, with the 8-speed that I bought used with 50k miles. Shifted and operated smoothly up until around 75k miles when I had the transmission fluid replaced (as part of maintenance). After the flush, I noticed the dreaded shutter when lightly accelerating the truck under load (going uphill on the highway). It was noticeable, but not bad and it didn't happen for another week or so. Thought it was a one time fluke until it happened again, then every day I would notice it when the engine was under load. I also noticed when driving it with a cold transmission, the shift from 2nd to 3rd was hard and felt like it slammed into place if I was really on the accelerator. Also, if I started the truck while cold and shifted it into drive or reverse soon after, sometimes the engine would do a high rev and want to launch the truck. Both the shutter and hard shift slowly got worse over the next few weeks. Then I towed a 1,000 pound trailer with a 750 pound ATV and it got really bad - shutters that made me lunge forward in my seat. Called the dealership and told them something was not right after my tranny flush. The service director handled my case directly and didn't even test drive it, took my word for it. He told me they've had a number of the 8-speeds come in with the issue - Silverado's, Sierra's, and Corvette's. They did a triple flush cleaning of the trans, replaced the TC, put in the new fluid, and reprogrammed the transmission. Even though I was out of my powertrain warranty (5 year/60k mile), they covered all the cost and filed it under 'customer loyalty'.

I noticed right away the reprogramming helped with the shifting. No more hard shift, no more high rev when putting it into gear right away on a cold start, and no shutter...for the first few days. After having it for about 5 days I noticed the shutter coming back. I thought here we go again. Then it had one really bad day of shuttering worse than it had done before. Next day it was gone and never came back. What?!? That was about 13k miles ago and it has been smooth the entire time (repairs done around 78k and now I'm at 91k). I don't understand it. I'm guessing the new fluid and TC needed a few hundred miles to 'break in' or there was a little old fluid left that got worked out?!? 

Just towed 3k pounds 500 miles and didn't have a single shutter or hard shift. The truck has seen highway, rolling hills, gravel roads, two tracks in the woods, and mud. No shutters or awkward shifts. I'm curious, has anyone had a similar experience as me where after the repairs it had one final flare up then went away?

Edited by midwestdenaliguy

• 1 month later...

My GMC Yukon Denali is at the dealer for this very problem.  Here is the problem and the fix.  This effects vehicles in hot and humid climates. The tranny fluid gets water in it which causes a torque converter shudder. Mobile 1 created a new transmission fluid to specifically fix this problem. Here is the service bulletin and part number for the new synthetic fluid.

The bulletin was 18-NA-355 and the part number was 19417577

https://gm-techlink.com/?p=11127

• 1 month later...

took mine to the dealer for the shutter on my 17.  of course it didnt do it for them. Im going to get it flushed but not sure if I want to use the Amsoil Low Viscosity ATF i have or buy the new Mobil 1 LV HP fluid that is supposed to fix this issue 

My 2017 6.2 Silverado just started shuddering at different speeds while cruising down the highway. A friend of mine who buids torque convertors for a living rode in my truck today and said it is in my transmission. He said these new convertors dont ever fully lock up. He works for a large transmission company and said they hearing about a lot of problems with these transmissions. Mine is the 8 speed. Going to the dealer tomorrow to get it checked out. My truck has 42,000 miles on it.

Bought my 17 with 18,500 miles on it a couple of months ago and around 20k the shudder appeared. Just took it in to have the trans flushed and filled with the other fluid and then immediately put 900 miles on it and no shudder. 

From reading this thread and looking at the few links people provided it seems the new fluid flush is only for the 8 speed. I have a 15 5.3 6 speed with a shudder that I've been ignoring, because of all the engine troubles I've been having. I'm still covered under the 5 year 100k warranty, but don't have time to take 5 trips to 3 different dealers to get this diagnosed. Also I have a leveling kit with 3054522 ridge grapplers and I know they're gonna spend a day checking my tires and tell me that was the problem. I work at Belle Tire and we have Hunter roadforce balancers and my roadforce is less than 10. Also the vibration was there with the factory size Michelins and no leveling kit.

How many people with the 6 speed had their shudder fixed with the new fluid flush? How many miles did you have and was it a warranty fix or out of pocket?

I was considering just paying for the flush, but after seeing the cost of the fluid I figure it will be north of $300. I just spent $400 on 4 new injectors and sill need a catch can that's gonna cost another $300. This reletively new truck is turning into a money pit. In 6 years with my 04 sierra with 170k on it I think my repair costs were less than 5 months with my 15 with 70k. Granted the majority of the repair costs were covered under warranty when my #7 lifter collapsed and took out my cam and valve.

I'm almost to the point where I'm gonna sell it and buy a different truck, but I've spent a lot of time and money getting it the way I want it and don't want to start over. I just want to be able to trust it not to break down or embarrass me when my friends drive in it and ask about that weird shudder/vibration.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I bought my 2016 Yukon Denali in April of this year and the Shudder appeared not long after. After doing the research, I contacted my local dealer and forwarded them the service bulletin. They drove it and determined that it was indeed the shutter.  They replaced the fluid for no charge and it's run like a champ ever since.  Glad I did my homework. 

14 hours ago, durandetto said:

From reading this thread and looking at the few links people provided it seems the new fluid flush is only for the 8 speed. I have a 15 5.3 6 speed with a shudder that I've been ignoring, because of all the engine troubles I've been having. I'm still covered under the 5 year 100k warranty, but don't have time to take 5 trips to 3 different dealers to get this diagnosed. Also I have a leveling kit with 3054522 ridge grapplers and I know they're gonna spend a day checking my tires and tell me that was the problem. I work at Belle Tire and we have Hunter roadforce balancers and my roadforce is less than 10. Also the vibration was there with the factory size Michelins and no leveling kit.

How many people with the 6 speed had their shudder fixed with the new fluid flush? How many miles did you have and was it a warranty fix or out of pocket?

I was considering just paying for the flush, but after seeing the cost of the fluid I figure it will be north of $300. I just spent $400 on 4 new injectors and sill need a catch can that's gonna cost another $300. This reletively new truck is turning into a money pit. In 6 years with my 04 sierra with 170k on it I think my repair costs were less than 5 months with my 15 with 70k. Granted the majority of the repair costs were covered under warranty when my #7 lifter collapsed and took out my cam and valve.

I'm almost to the point where I'm gonna sell it and buy a different truck, but I've spent a lot of time and money getting it the way I want it and don't want to start over. I just want to be able to trust it not to break down or embarrass me when my friends drive in it and ask about that weird shudder/vibration.

At 70k miles it is due a transmission fluid change. At least if it was mine I would do it.  It is easy to do and I would start there.  

On 1/18/2019 at 8:28 AM, aseibel said:

1% maybe. Don't let this forum fool you. Every single person with an issue posts online. The other 900,000 with no problems don't come running here to declare their truck is just fine.

I would be patient with your dealer and let them run through all the possible fixes before you get too frustrated. They might be able to take care of it for you pretty easily. The tires and driveshaft are two things i would make sure they take a look at.

My company truck is a 17' with 6 speed that shakes, vibrates, shudders whatever. 110 days in the dealer where they replaced a ton of parts and it is still the same. So far GM is not saying the 6 speed has this issue but they have changed everything behind the tranny with no luck. One of my buddies had a 16' Denali 1500 that he finally got GM to buy back after they couldn't fix his. I probably know a dozen people with a 15-17 GM 1500. If myself and a buddy both had issues with shudder that's 2 out of 12. Way more than 1%. Plus there are so many of these cases you don't hear about. You think only the people that complain on this forum have these issues. My buddy never researched anything, he just kept taking it back to dealer. That is what the majority of owners would do. The guys on these forums are mechanically inclined and are trying to diagnose the problem themselves. So lets say 1% of owners of trucks sold with these issues are trying to find a solution on their own. I would guess the number of trucks affected has to be between 10-20% otherwise GM would not be issuing a TSB, they would simply ignore it.

• Like 1

Even if it's only 1% if you take all the other 1% issues these trucks have it adds up to a lot of people having serious issues with their trucks. Not saying other manufacturers are without problems, but GM has some serious QC problems or just poor engineering. My 15 has the shudder issue, lifter failure, oil pump issue and injector failure. All at 70k miles.

On 10/19/2019 at 8:29 AM, Mike S said:

My company truck is a 17' with 6 speed that shakes, vibrates, shudders whatever. 110 days in the dealer where they replaced a ton of parts and it is still the same. So far GM is not saying the 6 speed has this issue but they have changed everything behind the tranny with no luck. One of my buddies had a 16' Denali 1500 that he finally got GM to buy back after they couldn't fix his. I probably know a dozen people with a 15-17 GM 1500. If myself and a buddy both had issues with shudder that's 2 out of 12. Way more than 1%. Plus there are so many of these cases you don't hear about. You think only the people that complain on this forum have these issues. My buddy never researched anything, he just kept taking it back to dealer. That is what the majority of owners would do. The guys on these forums are mechanically inclined and are trying to diagnose the problem themselves. So lets say 1% of owners of trucks sold with these issues are trying to find a solution on their own. I would guess the number of trucks affected has to be between 10-20% otherwise GM would not be issuing a TSB, they would simply ignore it.

I'm sorry to hear that you are having bad luck. Have they replaced your driveshaft?

If 20% of the vehicles rolled off the line like that, I'm pretty sure the public would have spoken and stopped buying the trucks. Why do they continue to sell some 100,000 trucks a month (between chevy and GMC?)

I have not met anyone in real life who complained about a shudder yet. I've only read about it online. So based on my real life experience the number is 0%. I'm sure the true number is somewhere between 1% and 20%.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2019 at 10:36 PM, JCunningham said:

use to be you didnt have to do anything more then change the fluid until over 100,000 miles.  Now everything is made for the lease market. 

I believe the chances of vehicles exceeding 100k trouble free miles with regular maintenance has improved steadily over the past several decades.  "They don't build them like they use to" is not always negative.?

• Like 1

I believe the chances of vehicles exceeding 100k trouble free miles with regular maintenance has improved steadily over the past several decades.  "They don't build them like they use to" is not always negative.[emoji4]

My reasoning for saying “they don’t build them like they used too” is due to all this electrical crap added to what was once a simple design.

Sent from Above