DD + occasional towing... 6.2 1500 vs 6.0 2500

Hey guys , i know this is covered in a few other feeds but i wanted to get some more opinions , experiences and ideas specific to my situation.

currently running a 2015 double cab SLE Z71 5.3 with 6 speed and the 3:42 gearing. I love the truck but I’m looking at upgrading;

we were towing a 4900 LB (Dry 5800 lb gvw) travel trailer with it , with little issue. The trailer was 25 feet bumper to tongue. 

We sold this trailer and bought a new one just before Xmas with some sales at the dealers here. Now going to be towing a 29’ trailer (5500 lbs dry 6700 lbs gvw, 510 LB tongue weight)

while the weight is still i think somewhat manageable by my 5.3 , i think the time to go back to a crewcab may be upon me too

I drive 16 kms ( 10 miles) each way to work , and would be pulling my camper 8-10 times a season minimum, and would like to be able to get to the Rockies in the next couple of summers with the TT.

i also pull a 14’ flat deck trailer with our 2 four wheelers regularly in the summer .

im looking at either a 6.2 1500 (looking a year or 2 old with minimal kms and full options) or a 3/4 ton with the 6.0L (same year range mileage and options (SLT / AT / Denali)

what are your thoughts and opinions on both options? Is the 3/4 ton overkill? Will the 6.2 be a big enough difference , and help me get through the inclines for some of the trips we’d like to make in the future. 

Watching TFLTruck Ike gauntlet tests i was pretty impressed with what the 6.2 seemed to do. Vs the 6.0 ( i get the weight difference they were towing) but with my expected trailer weight never to exceed 6K range would the 6.0 be enough for me to confidently nagivage a trip to the Rockies (12-1500 kms one way from my bald prairie home)

love to hear what you guys have to say

thanks!

Hey guys , i know this is covered in a few other feeds but i wanted to get some more opinions , experiences and ideas specific to my situation.
currently running a 2015 double cab SLE Z71 5.3 with 6 speed and the 3:42 gearing. I love the truck but I’m looking at upgrading;
we were towing a 4900 LB (Dry 5800 lb gvw) travel trailer with it , with little issue. The trailer was 25 feet bumper to tongue. 
We sold this trailer and bought a new one just before Xmas with some sales at the dealers here. Now going to be towing a 29’ trailer (5500 lbs dry 6700 lbs gvw, 510 LB tongue weight)
while the weight is still i think somewhat manageable by my 5.3 , i think the time to go back to a crewcab may be upon me too
I drive 16 kms ( 10 miles) each way to work , and would be pulling my camper 8-10 times a season minimum, and would like to be able to get to the Rockies in the next couple of summers with the TT.
i also pull a 14’ flat deck trailer with our 2 four wheelers regularly in the summer .
im looking at either a 6.2 1500 (looking a year or 2 old with minimal kms and full options) or a 3/4 ton with the 6.0L (same year range mileage and options (SLT / AT / Denali)

what are your thoughts and opinions on both options? Is the 3/4 ton overkill? Will the 6.2 be a big enough difference , and help me get through the inclines for some of the trips we’d like to make in the future. 
Watching TFLTruck Ike gauntlet tests i was pretty impressed with what the 6.2 seemed to do. Vs the 6.0 ( i get the weight difference they were towing) but with my expected trailer weight never to exceed 6K range would the 6.0 be enough for me to confidently nagivage a trip to the Rockies (12-1500 kms one way from my bald prairie home)

thanks!

Was kind of in the same bot a few months back. I tow a 7,000 lb flat deck 24’ trailer with a race car and several sets of tires through the smokies. I wound up with the 6.2 1500 and it tows beautifully.

Granted, this is my wife’s DD - and she was not quite comfortable with the 2500. It sees about 15-20 miles per week, and tows maybe 3500 miles a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, the 6.2 does have some impressive numbers, which i know is not the only part of towing but the fact it puts out as much torque at 2500 ish rpm that the 5.3 and 6.0 peak at... you cant argue that 

i assume 8 speed and 3:23 rear end , or is it max tow with 3:42

Thanks, the 6.2 does have some impressive numbers, which i know is not the only part of towing but the fact it puts out as much torque at 2500 ish rpm that the 5.3 and 6.0 peak at... you cant argue that 

i assume 8 speed and 3:23 rear end , or is it max tow with 3:42

8 speed 3.42 max tow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22 minutes ago, AdamZ71 said:

thanks!

My suggestion, once again just my opinion, is that I would buy more truck that I need. If you replace your trailer in the future, you would have what you need with the 2500, rather than replacing the trailer and truck each time.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

My suggestion, once again just my opinion, is that I would buy more truck that I need. If you replace your trailer in the future, you would have what you need with the 2500, rather than replacing the trailer and truck each time.

This is part of the reason I’m stuck. While we have no intention of upgrading our trailer down the road, I don’t want to limit myself with a half ton... but i still cant get past the power difference in the two. Also i can have a pretty nice pick of some nice year old 1500s here at a great price point... where as there is very little to no availability of 2500 6.0s here, and i feel that the 3/4 ton may be a bit much for commuting to and from work and other regular driving activities . 

Edited by AdamZ71

4 minutes ago, BB68 said:

I wouldn't even consider a 12 mpg 2500 on that light of a trailer.

This is partially why i think the 2500 is overkill. It’s main purpose is not towing, and its not towing overly heavy.....

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, gearheadesw said:

If you're buying it to tow, go 2500, if you're buying it to haul ass, buy the 1500.

My concern with the 2500 is that its overkill 90% of the time otherwise as its a DD as well

Don't make it sound like the 3/4 ton is such a beastly truck to commute with. It's not. Plenty of guys daily drive these. It's not that big of a deal 

But it sounds like you already decided to go with the 6.2  

You'll be fine with either one

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, AdamZ71 said:

This is part of the reason I’m stuck. While we have no intention of upgrading our trailer down the road, I don’t want to limit myself with a half ton... but i still cant get past the power difference in the two. Also i can have a pretty nice pick of some nice year old 1500s here at a great price point... where as there is very little to no availability of 2500 6.0s here, and i feel that the 3/4 ton may be a bit much for commuting to and from work and other regular driving activities . 

If time is your friend, drive each one if possible. Ask if you can do an overnight demo, this would give you the chance to bring home the truck, hook up the trailer and see which one feels more comfortable. You might have to sacrifice a little comfort for the daily driving in exchange for the safety of you and your family while towing.

Edited by JimCost2014

2 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

If time is your friend, drive each one if possible. Ask if you can do an overnight demo, this would give you the chance to bring home the truck, hook up the trailer and see which one feels more comfortable. You might have to sacrifice a little comfort for the daily driving in exchange for the safety of you and your family while towing.

Time is defiantly on my side... we don’t have the new trailer yet the dealer is keeping it until we want to pick it up in the spring ( warrantee wont start until we take delivery this way) but that’s a good ideal to see if i can get the truck for a day trip even to try it out . Not under any pressure just in the research stage at this point 

7 minutes ago, dieselfan1 said:

Don't make it sound like the 3/4 ton is such a beastly truck to commute with. It's not. Plenty of guys daily drive these. It's not that big of a deal 

But it sounds like you already decided to go with the 6.2  

You'll be fine with either one

My dad has an all terrain 3/4 ton gasser and he loves it , I’ve driven it and its not beastly at all, my concern would be the cost side of it as the fuel economy would be far less , and I’m still stuck on the power numbers i guess 

7 minutes ago, AdamZ71 said:

Time is defiantly on my side... we don’t have the new trailer yet the dealer is keeping it until we want to pick it up in the spring ( warrantee wont start until we take delivery this way) but that’s a good ideal to see if i can get the truck for a day trip even to try it out . Not under any pressure just in the research stage at this point 

Nothing better than a real world drive in each to make your decision a lot easier.

• Like 1