DD + occasional towing... 6.2 1500 vs 6.0 2500

The 6.0L gets horrible gas mileage on short trips, so as your daily driver driving short trips, it is something to think about. 

I am in the camp of buying what you will want and enjoy the majority of the time, so the 6.2L might fit that bill for you. 

One more thing, the 6.2L recommends premium fuel, so your cost per mile might to close to the 6.0L. 

Currently have a 6.2 that I traded a 3500 6.0 for. The 6.2 is perfect for what I use it for and a lot more power for dd use. That said, I don’t tow nearly as much as you are planing on. I have a boat that with trailer and fuel is around 5k lbs. Both trucks are very confident towing it, but the 3500 with 6.0 and 4.10 gears did it better. It would rarely shift or gear hunt when cruising on the highway. Sure the 6.2 could probably accelerate faster, but I’m not racing when I tow. With the size, weight, and distance that you will be towing I would certainly be looking at a 2500 or 3500. I’d rather have the capacity and not need it, than get into a situation and wish I had it. 

• Like 1

IMO 6.2 half ton is the way to go.  I've driven and owned both (well the 2500 was my dads, but I towed with it often when I had my mustang), and the 2500 just rides too horribly to daily drive.  As a matter of fact my dad traded in his 2500 gas Denali for a 6.2 2016 Silverado because it got horrible mileage (12 mpg avg on road trips) and rode like a mule unloaded.  I personally own a 2017 6.2 Sierra, and I absolutely love it.  It has plenty of power to tow our 9500 lb toy hauler confidently with a weight distribution hitch, and rides great in stock form.  Fuel mileage is really good in stock form as well, if you can keep your foot out of it.   The 1 thing you should upgrade immediately is go to a E load tire if you will be towing with it.

Good Luck

I have the 2500 6.0, so it is from that perspective and where I live.

If primarily towing what you are, the 1500 6.2 would work.  If there is a significant level of DD going on, then I wouldn't.  But that is based on where I live.

The 6.0L is flex fuel and the 6.2 is premium.   I can fill my 2500 6.0 with E85 fuel at around $1.12  a gallon right now.  The MPG on the stuff is criminal, 10 mpg for all miles (city, highway, towing, hauling, unpaved roads, etc), but that gives me a 11 cent per mile fuel cost.

Premium fuel is $2.40 in my area.  For a 1500 6.2 to break even on 11 cents a mile fuel cost, it would have to average for all miles 22 mpg.  Again, all miles... city, highway, towing, hauling, unpaved roads..... all miles.  I am still looking for a 1500 6.2 to average 22 mpg for all miles.

It really is a matter of what you want and what you are willing to pay for.  The 2500 6.0 will out do the 1500 6.2 in towing any day.  That is because towing is more than engine.  The 2500 is heavier, with stronger brakes, frame, and such.  The payload is a factor also.   While the 1500 may have impressive towing numbers, it only means anything if it also has a significant payload to compliment that.  The 2500 6.0 has over 2500 lb of payload available.... even with full fuel tank and two people on board.

And a similarly spec'd 2500 can usually be bought for less cost than a 1500 6.2.   My 2015 2500 6.0 had a sticker of $48K.   I drove it off the lot for $38K with a Line-X bedliner job part of the deal.   LT, Z71, snow plow prep package, HD towing package with 5th wheel / gooseneck prep.  Not too many 1500 6.2's with anything close to that capability can be had for that low of a price.

Edited by Cowpie

If you really need more truck for towing, then you need to get the 3/4 ton.

A 1500 with the 6.2 does not offer any improvement over your current ride in the braking and ability to control the trailer. (both very important for towing) It sounds like you are just looking for an excuse to get the bigger engine. Like most people who want the 6.2 - just get it if it will make you happy.

• Like 1

As a DD the 1500 with 6.2 would be it.  Since the 2500 and 6.0 would work but to me the mpg would be a hit since you can't get FF up there as easy as it is here in the lower 48.  Plus the ride "should" be better with the 1500 since it is a DD.

Concerned about towing....3/4 ton.

Concerned about mileage....Duramax.

DD...well if you have spent any real time in an unloaded 2500HD then you realize there is a difference in ride quality between it and the 1500.

That stated, loaded up with the TT, gear, the family and headed for the mountains, the 2500 rides like a dream.

Good luck.

7c74da935ba5f1c283b6d2d57f9e80fc.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pearl2017 said:

a truck rated to pull X ...will pull X plain and simple. IMO The 6.2 is a beast and with some suspension tweaks will tow very confidently tp its max.

Well said and I'd add the caveat, "and within payload".   Op's current truck has ample towing capacity for his new trailer.  I would be just as comfortable pulling his new trailer with my 4.3.   The "discomfort" Op will face pulling a 29' x 8' x 10'  6K lb box down the highway will not stem from a lack of power.  If I was in Op's position (and I'm close to a comparable dilemma) I'd tow with my current truck and see what the next generation 3/4 tons do about fuel economy.   His holiday travels will be much, much less stressful driving a 3/4 ton tow vehicle.

If you’re towing that often I’d rather have a 2500 DMax but the 6.0 should be fine and easy to modify if you were interested. I’ve towed before with a 5.3 Z71 CC and it was horrible with about that same weight. Bought a DMax 2500 and massively improved the towing and no more scary towing trips. Only thing I didn’t like was the rough ride of the 2500 and it’s lack of turning radius. Now, I’ve got an 18, CC, CST 4.5” lifted 6.2 Z71 and absolutely love it but never towing anything that heavy again with a 1500 no matter the size of the engine, just can’t handle the towing like a 2500 can, it’s built to tow and have mods done to it [emoji6]

Sent from above

I’d love to go a duramax but the cost is not going to be in my budget

i see a lot of people commenting on the handeling capability of the 2500 being greater when I totally understand. I have never had a issue or white knuckle event with my old trailer being towed by my current truck, or my 2011 Silverado 5.3

my struggle is moreso the power (or lack there of) I feel with it

i am leaning more toward the 6.2 as the power is there But I’d like to drive both to be sure

my camping trips are generally within a couple 3 hours of home, but with a new truck we’d like to start venturing further from home , and that’s where I feel the power would benefit for long highway cruises , and some hills and mountains maybe

i just want to be sure that this kind of financial “investment” if you will , will give me a notable difference over my current 5.3

I’d love to go a duramax but the cost is not going to be in my budget
i see a lot of people commenting on the handeling capability of the 2500 being greater when I totally understand. I have never had a issue or white knuckle event with my old trailer being towed by my current truck, or my 2011 Silverado 5.3
my struggle is moreso the power (or lack there of) I feel with it
i am leaning more toward the 6.2 as the power is there But I’d like to drive both to be sure
my camping trips are generally within a couple 3 hours of home, but with a new truck we’d like to start venturing further from home , and that’s where I feel the power would benefit for long highway cruises , and some hills and mountains maybe
i just want to be sure that this kind of financial “investment” if you will , will give me a notable difference over my current 5.3

I understand, I like that the 2500 has a much bigger tank too.

Sent from above

I tow a 8500lb gvwr 34' Jayco with the 5.3. Bouncy and not stable until I threw on some 10ply tires and some bilstein 5100s. Tows good enough. Do I need more truck absolutely however the financial hit and rough empty miles of a heavy duty isnt worth it. If you don't have already invest in the best weight distribution hitch with sway control you can afford

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Snowcamo said:

6.0 and 10 mps on the hwy? Man I'm glad i didnt get the hd like i was advised. Can't believe it doesn't get better #s then the ls did.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

That's burning E85 not regular gas.

E85 uses more fuel per mile than regular gas

• Like 2