DD + occasional towing... 6.2 1500 vs 6.0 2500

At the end of the day it is a personal choice and I respect the ones voiced. However IMO you can address the 6.2 shortcomings for heavy towing like mushy springs/payload and have a great DD. If you go 6.0 that gets horrible mileage and rides like a brick when not towing you cant fix that.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, SierraHD17 said:

Have fun getting a blown L96 to run properly towing with its sweet e78 ecm lol.  You are better off buying a diesel if that's your end game.

One comment.

If you go the diesel route, check the payload of the 2500HD diesel. Some are only 300 or so lbs more payload than my NHT. If you do diesel, strongly suggest 3500.

• Like 2

At the end of the day it is a personal choice and I respect the ones voiced. However IMO you can address the 6.2 shortcomings for heavy towing like mushy springs/payload and have a great DD. If you go 6.0 that gets horrible mileage and rides like a brick when not towing you cant fix that.
We pull 8600lbs TT with a tongue weight of 900-1000lbs with our Denali 6.2
We chose to add and refine due to the fact of gas milage when not towing and my wife prefers a smaller vehicle.
We have seen upwards of 30+ mpg when not towing from the gearing changes and 12-14 when towing over all milage.
We have magnetic ride on the truck, so we added Sumo coils on the rear to address the sag from the tongue weight and make the truck ride level.
All weights are well with in the towing capacity of the truck, but we prefer the 1500 when not attached to the trailer. A couple of grand to change a few things to have the best of both worlds that works for us was worth it and much easy to park when going to the store.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 3

On ‎2019‎-‎01‎-‎17 at 8:34 PM, DHeinze said:

We pull 8600lbs TT with a tongue weight of 900-1000lbs with our Denali 6.2
We chose to add and refine due to the fact of gas milage when not towing and my wife prefers a smaller vehicle.
We have seen upwards of 30+ mpg when not towing from the gearing changes and 12-14 when towing over all milage.
We have magnetic ride on the truck, so we added Sumo coils on the rear to address the sag from the tongue weight and make the truck ride level.
All weights are well with in the towing capacity of the truck, but we prefer the 1500 when not attached to the trailer. A couple of grand to change a few things to have the best of both worlds that works for us was worth it and much easy to park when going to the store.

:lol:

I was riding along pretty good till the 30 mpg plus bit. Lots of people on here lose credibility with gas mileage claims. Easy to prove if it's true though. I spent my working life towing heavy with 3/4-1 tons. The burden is on the trailer- camper as far as braking. Load arrangement is key too. I would devote my time on trailer brake matinees and smart loading techniques.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was riding along pretty good till the 30 mpg plus bit. Lots of people on here lose credibility with gas mileage claims. Easy to prove if it's true though. I spent my working life towing heavy with 3/4-1 tons. The burden is on the trailer- camper as far as braking. Load arrangement is key too. I would devote my time on trailer brake matinees and smart loading techniques.

The max on towing is 9100 on the denali ultimate and payload is 1690lbs. We have room to spare at both ends. I actually posted photos of the milage a while back on our last trip to Colorado. I'll see if I can locate them and repost. The truck spends a good deal of time in V4 mode since the gear change.

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk

On 1/17/2019 at 11:29 AM, DHeinze said:

Keep in mind if you go to the Denali with the 6.2 the gearing will be 3.23. I had that issue and changed mine out to 3.73s.

What did it cost to swap to 3:73 gears and did you have to have it tuned right away or can you drive without a tune? THis is what i want to do soon just need to find a shop to install the gears. How was the difference in feel with the gear swap?

Thanks Joe

• 2 weeks later...
What did it cost to swap to 3:73 gears and did you have to have it tuned right away or can you drive without a tune? THis is what i want to do soon just need to find a shop to install the gears. How was the difference in feel with the gear swap?

Thanks Joe
Drove it out without a tune. Speedo off until programmed. Using diablo I3 87 octane just to remove speed limiter and change gearing.

Drove it out without a tune. Speedo off until programmed. Using diablo I3 87 octane just to remove speed limiter and change gearing.

Sorry.
The right shop should get it done for about $800.00 a axle.

Sorry being traveling..
Had to dig to find these. The 1st time I considered this is when I was driving a rental car. I travel so much, I get free upgrades.. I ended up with Camaro SS several times last year with a 6.2 power train. When I would drive between Phoenix and Tucson or Tucson to Phoenix I was pulling 40 to 50 miles per gallon cruising down the road. I thought to myself what the heck v4 mode and displacement with the right gearing should get me the same gas mileage or close with a truck. So far the milage in town doesn't hold up so well averaging about 15 miles to gallon. My wife uses this as a daily driver going back-and-forth between work and home (thinking she is a stop light to stop light racer . When we decide to take trips without the travel trailer we have commonly seen what I have posted. Hope it helps for anyone wanting to stay with a 1/2 ton pull a larger travel trailer. b1f126a7bbfda07b4657df12fd28a7f5.jpged5e26d24dca16975502cf4d1201f43a.jpg

Thanks Joe
I guess I should read the whole comment.... the math by the installer is the gearing gave me about 15% gain in torque to the tires. The truck had 480- 485 ftlbs to the tires while the tune at the highest setting from Diablo (20ftlbs) the math puts us at about 555ftlbs to the wheels. Once again not my math. It hauls ass. [emoji41]

14 hours ago, DHeinze said:

I guess I should read the whole comment.... the math by the installer is the gearing gave me about 15% gain in torque to the tires. The truck had 480- 485 ftlbs to the tires while the tune at the highest setting from Diablo (20ftlbs) the math puts us at about 555ftlbs to the wheels. Once again not my math. It hauls ass. emoji41.png

Thanks for the info! 

Anyone in this thread as intrigued by the 2020 2500HD as I am?

The Gmc 2500 looks great but after owning lots of them, I’m done with diesels as a DD. Can’t really do anything with it but tow or cruise long distances but city driving is a pain (rough riding) and not all gas stations do diesel. Traded my 16 DMax for my 18 6.2 and absolutely love it compared to the diesel, much more fun to drive and tons easier to park and don’t have to worry about it sinking every grassy area I park at. I’m looking forward to seeing them on the road.

Sent from above