DD + occasional towing... 6.2 1500 vs 6.0 2500

20 hours ago, swathdiver said:

Not officially but the software and wiring is there to convert it for use of Flex Fuel.  There is an active thread about the parts needed if interested.

Thanks for the tip but, there are so few places in my area that sell E85 that it wouldn't be worth it, none of my regular stations offer it. I live in the greater Cleveland area but, pretty well out in the burbs/rural area so we just have the good ole fashioned 87 octane at most places... My 2014 Sierra had a 4.3L w/ flex fuel capabilities and I  might have messed around with a tank or two of E85 but, I don't recall... I travel a lot for my job and don't notice it much until I get into the western part of the state... Seems like a cool concept to be able to use both though... I'm not much of one to tinker with my truck anyways, I'd just take it to the GM dealer and pay the big bucks for them to do it if I really wanted to.

1 hour ago, Imcrazy said:

Thanks for the tip but, there are so few places in my area that sell E85 that it wouldn't be worth it, none of my regular stations offer it. I live in the greater Cleveland area but, pretty well out in the burbs/rural area so we just have the good ole fashioned 87 octane at most places... My 2014 Sierra had a 4.3L w/ flex fuel capabilities and I  might have messed around with a tank or two of E85 but, I don't recall... I travel a lot for my job and don't notice it much until I get into the western part of the state... Seems like a cool concept to be able to use both though... I'm not much of one to tinker with my truck anyways, I'd just take it to the GM dealer and pay the big bucks for them to do it if I really wanted to.

Aaron, Cleveland and the surrounding area is well stocked with stations that carry E85.  I'm looking at over 40 right now on the Gas Buddy app on my phone (website does not show E85 offerings).  Speedway and Sheetz seem to carry it the most.  Prices start at $1.84 and up to just over $2.25 a gallon in Cleveland and surrounding area.

I doubt GM would do it but if you ever decide to add that capability to your truck, I'm sure you can locate someone through this forum to help you get it done.

Edited by swathdiver

21 hours ago, swathdiver said:

Aaron, Cleveland and the surrounding area is well stocked with stations that carry E85.  I'm looking at over 40 right now on the Gas Buddy app on my phone (website does not show E85 offerings).  Speedway and Sheetz seem to carry it the most.  Prices start at $1.84 and up to just over $2.25 a gallon in Cleveland and surrounding area.

I doubt GM would do it but if you ever decide to add that capability to your truck, I'm sure you can locate someone through this forum to help you get it done.

I don't really live or travel near Cleveland much, in fact I try to avoid the entire county that Cleveland is located in, it's pretty congested... I'm around Medina which is about 45 min south  if you want to be specific... I just hit gas buddy and the closest place to my house with E85 is 5 miles away and $2.03, next closest is 6.5 miles away and $2.35....  I appreciate the info tho.. I wouldn't trust anybody but, the dealer to work on anything along those lines and I'm sure by the time I forked out the big bucks for Chevy to do it I would have to run a lot of E85 to see the savings...I also rely on my truck for business use so I can't take any chances modifying the fuel system myself... I will be getting a new truck in a year or two and I will probably try to grab one with a flex fuel 5.3 if I can to have the flexibility...

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hey Guys

its been a little over a year - and I have one season under my belt with the new travel trailer .. so here's where I'm at.

I ended up tossing in a set of air lift air bags after the 3rd trip as the tongue weight even with weight distribution hitch was not enjoyable , truck had a-lot of squat. i opted for the cheap bags (no onboard compressor) and ran them between 40 and 50 psi when towing - and wow what a world of difference. the truck rode much firmer and felt much more in control. after a couple of trips into north western Ontario and some minor hills on those trips, plus some prairie highway hauls , i put around 4000 kms on with the new camper. all in all the power with the 5.3 was not amazing BUT very manageable. I did notice that at times you really felt the trailer behind you (sway , hard brake applications and just all around being outbalanced in truck to trailer weight)

I started searching locally for a good low mileage 6.0L but with everything either being higher milage than I'd prefer or showing up to find out it had a hefty accident claim on it or just very visible body damage (bumpers bang up boxes etc) i felt my search was that of seeking a diamond in the rough. 

i ended up talking with my dealer who treats me very well - and after searching around i have just pulled the trigger on a 2020 2500 with the new 6.6 

I sold my 1500 to a good friend - and i will miss that truck dearly. the 3/4 ton im going into is a "custom" trim level so it is very bare bones in comparison to my old 1500. but with some good lease rates and incentives in my area, plus this being my 3rd vehicle from this dealer in the last 8 years it was an offer that was almost too good to pass up. a 2 year lease gives me the time to really see if this is the best move for me. i've ordered and am outfitting it with some accessories and goodies of course - but i couldn't be happier - taking delivery this saturday and i will be sure to share my findings as they come with this new platform

thanks again for all the advise, warnings and of course bounty of experiences you guys have shared with me. I defiantly had a-lot of it in my mind while my search was on, and i felt educated and able to make this decision with confidence because of it!

Edited by AdamZ71
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...