Gorehamj

Cadillac Shows Of Its First Battery-Electric Luxury Car

Cadillac-EV-002.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
1-14-2019

Cadillac plans to make Cadillac a primarily electric brand. Before that happens, the brand will shift primarily to ICE crossovers, with maybe keep one performance sedan and the Escalade as its token ICE cars (ICE means internal combustion engine). The new Cadillac looks to our eyes a lot like the old XLR, Cadillac's re-branded Corvette from the not too distant past. Despite this one being a "crossover." Going forward, look for every manufacturer to re-tag its cars as crossovers, despite the number of wheels driven, number of doors, ground clearance, and lack of any sort of SUV equipment. Cars are dead, so every new model has to be a crossover by definition.  Unless it's a truck. 

Cadillac-EV-001.jpg

“Cadillac’s EV will hit the heart of the crossover market and meet the needs of customers around the world,” said Steve Carlisle, president of Cadillac. “It will represent the height of luxury and innovation while positioning Cadillac as the pinnacle of mobility.” We disagree. The heart of the crossover market has a selling price under $30K and is defined by the top-selling model in that huge segment, the Toyota RAV4. Cadillac may well hit the periphery of the crossover market, but it will be a long swim for any automaker to hit the "heart of the crossover market" with an affordable BEV. Decoding the marketing lingo we think GM means "We don't have anything yet, but when we do it will be a high-priced vehicle for China."  Buick had better watch its back.  

What do you think of the looks? GM has not given us a name, range, performance profile, or price estimate yet. Which in the EV world is pretty much standard practice.  

I think it looks great.  I also think the concept Volt and concept Aztek looked great.

I'll reserve my judgement for the production model, because given GMs past it won't be pretty like the concept.  Why even bother really.

The board has to kick out Marry Barra, she hasn't really raised share price since she's been hired, literally the stock price has stagnated . It is appalling with that 1) Eliminating workers jobs, 2) Completely feminizing Cadillac (watch a new Cadillac commercial especially the XT4 one it seems like a makeup cosmetic brand compared to Lincoln), 3) deciding to replay the Electric game again and after failing miserably with the ELR and the Bolt,  she thinks allowing the Cadillac brand to move to completely electric will help and not hurt the brand? If anything, make a completely new brand and label it GM. I just do not see this playing well. The only reason the stock price went up lately was mainly because of guidance figures, not the announcement of electric tech. If GM can produce a true competitor (acceleration, tech, etc.) to Tesla at an affordable price, and durability then by all means try it out. Given the past attempts though, I do not see such success unless its show stopping. 

Quit it with the Concepts GM, the Cadillac 16 was the best it'll ever get. 

Hard to judge any gm concept these days after the Volt debacle.

Looks good to me but probably won't look anything like this once the bean counters go through it unfortunately.

Looks like a Nissan Rogue got it's face torn off at a Massachusetts intersection ...

Shutting down all of the plants and putting people out of work because they think this is the future.

OKAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like the folks that designed the AZTEC are still working there.

• Haha 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Gorehamj
      John Goreham
      7-24-2019
      Ford has been working hard behind the scenes to develop the world's first mass-produced, mainstream electric pickup truck. That development is now to the point where Ford is ready to start showing off a bit. This week, Ford's chief engineer for the F-150, Linda Zhang, hooked up the test mule to ten double-decker rail cars. She then tugged that train 1,000 feet. To add a bit of drama, she then loaded up 42 F-150s into those rail cars and did it again. Clearly, electric trucks will be tow monsters. 
      Ford is one of the best-positioned automakers to advance its fleet with electric drive. Ford is now a partner with not only Rivian, who is developing a luxury EV pickup, but also with VW. No other automaker has as much to lose by falling behind in the EV transition, and no other automaker seems better positioned to profit from EVs when they are finally ready for the masses. 

Related Story: Is GM Working On EV Pickups?

• By visegrips
      I have a 2003 Suburban Z71 that I just converted to electric fans.  I used a factory wiring harness that I found on ebay, and the fans turn on when the temp hits 190.  The truck was tuned by a popular tuner, but the fans will not kick on with the A/C compressor.  I have wired in both wires to the pcm connectors.  I cannot for the life of me get it to turn on with the A/C compressor. Could it be a bad relay?  Could my 2003, not be able to control the fans when the A/C kicks on.  I have fried my compressor, and would like to get this figured out before spending money on another.  Does the tuner need to turn on the capability for the fans to kick it on?  @JennabearI didnt use your tunes for this as I had another option at the time, but I need some answers.  If you guys can turn it on, then you will have my money today. 

Anybody else have any ideas?
    • By Paul Hoopengarner
      General Motors Confirms Plans for Electric Pickup Truck to Rival Ford, Rivian, Tesla  https://www.rivianautomotiveclub.com/home/ev-news/general-motors-confirms-plans-for-electric-pickup-truck-to-rival-ford-rivian-tesla
    • By Zane
      Zane Merva
      Executive Editor / Publisher, GM-Trucks.com
      February 12th, 2019

An exciting but anything-but-confirmed rumor has started to swirl around the GM performance community recently. Here's two completely independent reports I read in the last 24 hours. 

With the sheer number of white collar jobs currently being "resized" at GM, it's no surprise that anyone working on future product development might feel a little salty and inclined to chat about the projects they were working on. Does this mean these products are in development? MAYBE. We see three likely options. 

Option 1- The Rumors Are True: That means the next generation Escalade will get a V-Series variant with the 650-horsepower Supercharged 6.2L LT4.  If that platform was packaged for the Escalade, slapping it into a Silverado and calling it an SS would be child's play and the most likely next move. GM has been criticized for lacking a true performance truck for a long time and this could make up for the absence.

Option 2- The Rumors Were True: But not anymore. In this scenario, the leakers who knew about the projects were let go because the projects were canceled. This is also a likely option. 

Option 3- The Rumors Are Not True: The whole thing was made up and taken out of context by hopeful GM Performance Enthusiasts (myself included). It was wishful thinking anyways...

Stay tuned to find out exactly which option it was. Maybe it's option #4?

• By Gorehamj
      John Goreham
      1-26-2019
      A new story in the publication Detroit Bureau has EV advocates and those looking for a headling concluding that GM is planning to build an EV pickup. In response to an inquiry about EV pickups, Duncan Aldred, the vice president of the GMC brand, said, "Certainly, it’s something we’re considering." This and other small clues have some in the industry concluding, “They wouldn’t be saying this if they weren’t really confident about doing it, They are moving beyond hybrids…and want to be at the forefront of battery-electric technology.”

This is in contrast to a statement by Mike Ableson, General Motors Vice President Global Strategy, who said this past November, "The core business is going to be the core business for a couple of decades to come. There will not be any AV/EV pickups.”

What's our take? Based on the emerging culture of showing any EV prototype off as a "launch" years, or even decades before the vehicle is ready to be sold, we feel that once GM decides to build an EV pickup we will see a concept of it at a trade show. Then start your two to five-year countdown on when limited production will arrive.