Silverado or Suburban (2018)?

Hi there, new to the forum here and was hoping to gain some wisom from you folks. I'm in a dilemma and am having a difficult time choosing between the Silverado or the Suburban. I'm currently a paramedic in the great white north and like to go fishing, hunting, mountain biking, etc. The space in both is more than enough for me but I'm wondering which is the better vehicle? Most of the gear I'll be carrying will need to be dry so If I do get a pickup I'll have to add a shell to the back. So the question is: do I buy a suburban or a silverado with a decked out bed (what functionality do I lose going either way)? I'll be daily driving this car/truck so it will need to be a great all rounder  (city driving, long road trips, light offroad, driving empty, etc). Do I lose any ground clearance/off road capability if I get the suburban, and do I lose any creature comforts if I get the silverado? Specifically looking at the LT or the Suburban and the LTZ for the Silverado.

Bonus question: Do you think its worth upgrading to the GMC lineup? (ex: Yukon XL vs Sierra) They seem pretty similar give or take a few cosmetic things.

Would love some insight into this issue. Thanks in advance!

Since 1994 I've been back and forth between Suburban and the pickup truck 4 door. I did a lot of off road camping up in the mountains and found that the pickup truck is much better because opthe gear that might be wet stinky or even a dog that rolled in Deer jizz can ride in the back of a pickup truck with a shell on it. When the same situation occurred in the Suburban everyone encountered a very nasty ride home LOL. Back in the day I had a 3/4 ton Suburban as well as a 3/4 ton Silverado. I have been using a crew cab GMC for the last 9 years and probably would never go back to a Suburban because I was always afraid of getting it messy inside ,, just my little two cents. Nowadays is Suburban has I'm guessing and much nicer interior than the Silverado or the Sierra and of course the price tag follows along with that. Just like everything else it really does break down between your price point and what you're willing to live with. I just find the pickup truck to be more all around useful. However, I did end up with the Denali trim package which adds to something I guess in my head. It's still a work truck, but it cleans up real nice to use everyday. Good luck with your choice.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, VictorLin0725 said:

Hi there, new to the forum here and was hoping to gain some wisom from you folks. I'm in a dilemma and am having a difficult time choosing between the Silverado or the Suburban. I'm currently a paramedic in the great white north and like to go fishing, hunting, mountain biking, etc. The space in both is more than enough for me but I'm wondering which is the better vehicle? Most of the gear I'll be carrying will need to be dry so If I do get a pickup I'll have to add a shell to the back. So the question is: do I buy a suburban or a silverado with a decked out bed (what functionality do I lose going either way)? I'll be daily driving this car/truck so it will need to be a great all rounder  (city driving, long road trips, light offroad, driving empty, etc). Do I lose any ground clearance/off road capability if I get the suburban, and do I lose any creature comforts if I get the silverado? Specifically looking at the LT or the Suburban and the LTZ for the Silverado.

Bonus question: Do you think its worth upgrading to the GMC lineup? (ex: Yukon XL vs Sierra) They seem pretty similar give or take a few cosmetic things.

Would love some insight into this issue. Thanks in advance!

Having one of each, the wife's Tahoe and my Silverado, I might be able to shed some light on this (we can hope). What will be more important to you, the ride quality of a daily driver or the off road capabilities for your hobbies?

15 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

Having one of each, the wife's Tahoe and my Silverado, I might be able to shed some light on this (we can hope). What will be more important to you, the ride quality of a daily driver or the off road capabilities for your hobbies?

Living in an rual area where it rains and snows on bad roads a great daily driver is going to be the most important to me in difficult conditions (traction/saftey wise). In all honesty whichever I choose is going to be riding empty 70% of the time in city and highway. Are the interiors drastically different comfort wise? I have a lot of "gear" (guns, trauma kits, work bag, laptop, tent, rifle, cooler, first aid kit, toolkits, fishing gear, etc) they take up space but isn't what I'd call heavy duty payload haha. I also have a 5500 lbs mastercraft boat which I tow about 3 times a year. I'm basically wondering if a suburban with all the seats folded down doubles as kind of a pickup bed. Other than ride height is there any other aspect the silverado excels offroad/for hobbies? Appreciate the response!

Edited by VictorLin0725

49 minutes ago, KJS Sullivan said:

Since 1994 I've been back and forth between Suburban and the pickup truck 4 door. I did a lot of off road camping up in the mountains and found that the pickup truck is much better because opthe gear that might be wet stinky or even a dog that rolled in Deer jizz can ride in the back of a pickup truck with a shell on it. When the same situation occurred in the Suburban everyone encountered a very nasty ride home LOL. Back in the day I had a 3/4 ton Suburban as well as a 3/4 ton Silverado. I have been using a crew cab GMC for the last 9 years and probably would never go back to a Suburban because I was always afraid of getting it messy inside ,, just my little two cents. Nowadays is Suburban has I'm guessing and much nicer interior than the Silverado or the Sierra and of course the price tag follows along with that. Just like everything else it really does break down between your price point and what you're willing to live with. I just find the pickup truck to be more all around useful. However, I did end up with the Denali trim package which adds to something I guess in my head. It's still a work truck, but it cleans up real nice to use everyday. Good luck with your choice.

Do you think the bed of trucks are well used? I can't think of what I'd put in there without adding some sort of organization device like the DECKED system or a shell on it. What do you usually carry in the bed?

2 minutes ago, VictorLin0725 said:

Living in an rual area where it rains and snows on bad roads a great daily driver is going to be the most important to me in difficult conditions (traction/saftey wise). In all honesty whichever I choose is going to be riding empty 70% of the time in city and highway. Are the interiors drastically different comfort wise? I have a lot of "gear" (guns, trauma kits, work bag, laptop, tent, rifle, cooler, first aid kit, toolkits, fishing gear, etc) they take up space but isn't what I'd call heavy duty payload haha. I also have a 5500 lbs mastercraft boat which I tow about 3 times a year. I'm basically wondering if a suburban with all the seats folded down doubles as kind of a pickup bed. Other than ride height is there any other aspect the silverado excels offroad/for hobbies? Appreciate the response!

No problem, the sub is going to be a much smoother ride, truck would will be close, unless you go with a Z71 package. The sub will not have the clearance, because of the aero package, trucks are not great with the front spoiler either. Interiors are very similar, with the SUV's having more bells and whistles, seats and other things mirroring each other. The only reason that I would go with a truck over the Sub, is the fact that if anything that smells, is disgusting, dead, you get the point, it would be hauled inside with you, where with a truck, it is in the bed. Both will tow well, but the truck will tow more. As far as GMC vs Chevy, GMC, especially  the Denali line will give you different shocks and a little nicer trim package.

I think you would have to get at least a cap or shell on it and you can get on it with no windows for a bit more security and double locking ones. I came from a mini van (Uplander) I can put a sheet of 4X8 plywood with all seats down but like you said makes a mess back there and when I did go fishing or camping with the kids yes wet stuff and dirt stuff makes a mess. A truck you just throw that stuff in the back and you can hose it off the bed later. Ride wise these trucks are nice riding, another thought is if you don't really tow much like I do, I have a travel trailer I have the 5.3 V8. You can opt for a 4.3l V6 Engine in the Silverado and save you some fuel for a daily driver and still can get a 4x4 option on that.

1 minute ago, JimCost2014 said:

No problem, the sub is going to be a much smoother ride, truck would will be close, unless you go with a Z71 package. The sub will not have the clearance, because of the aero package, trucks are not great with the front spoiler either. Interiors are very similar, with the SUV's having more bells and whistles, seats and other things mirroring each other. The only reason that I would go with a truck over the Sub, is the fact that if anything that smells, is disgusting, dead, you get the point, it would be hauled inside with you, where with a truck, it is in the bed. Both will tow well, but the truck will tow more. As far as GMC vs Chevy, GMC, especially  the Denali line will give you different shocks and a little nicer trim package.

How do you find sitting in the driver seat of the Tahoe vs your Silverado, is there a layout you would prefer for a long road trip? I'm not sure how the tahoe is smoother if they are basically the same frame and suspension...maybe just differently tuned? I would personally skip the Denali line because the magnetic ride control seems like a great pain later down the road. Are you currently in a 5.3L or 6.2L?

3 minutes ago, Joe's 2017 Silverado said:

I think you would have to get at least a cap or shell on it and you can get on it with no windows for a bit more security and double locking ones. I came from a mini van (Uplander) I can put a sheet of 4X8 plywood with all seats down but like you said makes a mess back there and when I did go fishing or camping with the kids yes wet stuff and dirt stuff makes a mess. A truck you just throw that stuff in the back and you can hose it off the bed later. Ride wise these trucks are nice riding, another thought is if you don't really tow much like I do, I have a travel trailer I have the 5.3 V8. You can opt for a 4.3l V6 Engine in the Silverado and save you some fuel for a daily driver and still can get a 4x4 option on that.

Great to hear from someone in the BC area too! I mainly like the suburban for its driver area which seems to be better laid out. How have you organized your bed? I mainly have small gear and wouldn't feel comfortable just throwing it in the back and letting it slide around.

4 minutes ago, VictorLin0725 said:

How do you find sitting in the driver seat of the Tahoe vs your Silverado, is there a layout you would prefer for a long road trip? I'm not sure how the tahoe is smoother if they are basically the same frame and suspension...maybe just differently tuned? I would personally skip the Denali line because the magnetic ride control seems like a great pain later down the road. Are you currently in a 5.3L or 6.2L?

Sitting is both is pretty much a wash, both are LTZ's, Tahoe has a better stereo (just because more speakers) so I would take my truck just because I drive it everyday. The truck still uses leaf springs in the rear, where the SUV's uses a multi link set up, why their towing ratings are lower, but have a smoother ride. I am biased, having 3 trucks now with the 6.2, so I would only go with the 6.2 in either, well worth the money in opinion. The Tahoe has the 5.3, goes well, have had the 5.3 in prior trucks, would still have it if I had not driven a 6.2. But do yourself a favor, drive both, then make your own decision.

I don't carry much gear daily in the back but if I do I use a different size Rubbermaid containers or crates and if I don't use the whole bed I use a ratcheting bed bar to keep it from sliding around. I also installed all the Bull rings which takes 3 on each side of the bed except for the tailgate. I can sling rope or bungies from them as I need. On another note yeah the Silverado interior maybe more utilitarian.

Edited by Joe's 2017 Silverado

Thanks for all the responses guys!  I'll just have to see what I really need, I might even get the Suburban and just put one of those weathertech cargo lining mats in them to keep it somewhat clean. Coming from a crossover I guess the fact that half of my car is separated and exposed to the elements kind of freaks me out a little haha.

I also have a Silverado (2016 LTZ Crew short bed) and Tahoe (2017 LT). Both with 5.3. Silverado is my DD, amd Tahoe is the wife's.

I agree with the comments above. For trips, I prefer the Tahoe. Ride is much better. Mileage is better in the Tahoe, due to gearing. If towing, I use the truck. With the rear seats of the Hoe folded, there is comparable room to the bed, but I use the truck if hauling anything dirty. Interiors are similar, but the "leather" in the Hoe is noticeably softer than the truck. As mentioned speakers are better in the Hoe (both have Bose). I don't really "off road," but the truck would be my preference due to 2 speed t-case. I have an Ultra Flex tonneau which keeps the bed pretty dry when I have things back there.

If I could only get one and didn't need the extra seating the Hoe/Burb offers, I would get the truck, but that's just me and a personal/lifestyle preference.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VictorLin0725 said:

Thanks for all the responses guys!  I'll just have to see what I really need, I might even get the Suburban and just put one of those weathertech cargo lining mats in them to keep it somewhat clean. Coming from a crossover I guess the fact that half of my car is separated and exposed to the elements kind of freaks me out a little haha.

If you go with the Sub, get a Husky liner for the back, personally like them better that Weather Tech. And the other product you will want to look into is made by Canvasback, they are covers for just the back of each seat in the second and third rows. We have 4 huskies and could not imagine how much hair would be on the seats if we did not use these.

9 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

If you go with the Sub, get a Husky liner for the back, personally like them better that Weather Tech. And the other product you will want to look into is made by Canvasback, they are covers for just the back of each seat in the second and third rows. We have 4 huskies and could not imagine how much hair would be on the seats if we did not use these.

Yep another proud dog owner here, I'll definetly give that a good look.