Looking for opinions on trailering this long distance

Hey guys, im looking for some advice.   My buddy was suppose to take a 16x8 about 1100 miles with some motorcycles with his 2500HD.   Long story short that truck cant make it ... We still need to make,the trip but I have the 1500 2015 z71     The weight has concerned me a little.  I figured around 7800 with trailer and 2 bike in the bed( another 1,000) ...   I'm looking on some input from guys who trailer often or more often then I do.   

Is this to much strain on the trans? 

Wpuld it be over loaded to much on tongue weight? 

Hey guys, im looking for some advice.   My buddy was suppose to take a 16x8 about 1100 miles with some motorcycles with his 2500HD.   Long story short that truck cant make it ... We still need to make,the trip but I have the 1500 2015 z71     The weight has concerned me a little.  I figured around 7800 with trailer and 2 bike in the bed( another 1,000) ...   I'm looking on some input from guys who trailer often or more often then I do.   

You could rent a 2500 but, If you’re stuck with absolutely no choice then find a heavy duty Weight Distribution Hitch and then you’ll be good to go, just drive cautiously and make sure everything’s strapped down very securely cause that much weight being towed will definitely have a change of direction if not secured properly. Make sure to get an oil change right before you take off and when you get back. Drive safely.

Sent from above

I dont think I'll be able to get one and install it in time.       I'm just nervous about how much weight wpuld be in the bed and on the tongue.....   Without the WD hitch which is what its looking like ..  Would you ? 

I dont think I'll be able to get one and install it in time.       I'm just nervous about how much weight wpuld be in the bed and on the tongue.....   Without the WD hitch which is what its looking like ..  Would you ? 

Absolutely NOT! You can rent them, call the UHaul nearest you

Sent from above
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, 14GMCZ71 said:

Too much weight on a half ton.

I agree . 1000 lbs in the bed plus whatever the tongue weight for the trailer and you will be at or over your limit. She will be sagging too much  Think GCWR . How close are you going to be to that number?

Consider renting a uhaul 1 ton box truck with a hitch.

Edited by dieselfan1
  • Like 2

Is there any way you can put the bikes in the trailer? I think if you put the bikes in the trailer then you will be fine. But with the two bikes in the bed and the trailer tongue weight you will be sagging like a mother and you will be white knuckle driving for 1100 miles. That will roughly add about 1780 lbs to your payload. My 2014 Sierra ccsb z71 5.3 w/ 3.42's payload is 1687, so with your set up I would 100% be over my payload capacity which is probably very similar to your payload capacity depending on your specs.  

If you cant put the bikes in the trailer the only other option I would do is a WD hitch and air bags. But, those are two hefty mods right before a 1100 mile trip, both costing around $300 - $400 per item. Not sure where you live but you can probably pick up a decent WD hitch at a local parts store (prob not) but definitely at a aftermarket truck store like 4 wheel parts. Even then you might still be over your payload but by maybe a few hundred pounds which I think you would be fine. 

In addition to this, if you do not have trailer brakes then the answer is hell no I wouldn't even risk it. 

7 hours ago, 15z71night said:

A 16x8 trailer weighs 7800 pounds?  Got a picture or description of it?  I've been borrowing a 14x8 plus the v-nose and it weighs less than 2500 pounds empty.

48 minutes ago, swathdiver said:

A 16x8 trailer weighs 7800 pounds?  Got a picture or description of it?  I've been borrowing a 14x8 plus the v-nose and it weighs less than 2500 pounds empty.

I dont have a picture of it but its a steel construction vnose..  The owner told me it 2800 empty..

9 bikes @ 450 in trailer - 4100. Plus trailer @ 2800

2 bikes in bed at 475. -   @1000

4 guys in the truck. - 800 lol 

And then gear/tools/baggage for everyone.              -1000

All that comes out to total of 8700lbs

.              im concerned about the rear stock suspension without a WD hitch. 

Edited by 15z71night

4 minutes ago, 15z71night said:

I dont have a picture of it but its a steel construction vnose..  The owner told me it 2800 empty..

9 bikes @ 450 in trailer - 4100. Plus trailer @ 2800

2 bikes in bed at 450. -   1000

4 guys in the truck. - 800 lol 

And then gear/tools/baggage for everyone.              -1000

All that comes out to total of 8700lbs

.              im concerned about the rear stock suspension without a WD hitch. 

Ahh I got it now!  Little slow, haven't gone to bed yet!  I would say you are well over your hitch rating, rear axle rating, cargo capacity and maybe even GCWR.  Even the trailer might be overloaded.  My SUV has a 600 pound tongue weight and 5,000 pound tow weight without a WDH.  With one, she has a hitch weight of 1000 pounds and a tow rating of 7,900.  Your owner's manual should provide the details, same with the sticker on your hitch (do pickups have them?).  

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, 14GMCZ71 said:

1100 miles - 8700 lbs - I've seen half tons haul close to that much but not that distance - maybe 50-75 miles.

And slow too!  50-55 max but I think at highway speeds he's going to sway or leave his ring and pinion all over the highway.

3 minutes ago, swathdiver said:

And slow too!  50-55 max but I think at highway speeds he's going to sway or leave his ring and pinion all over the highway.

The front end will be so light with all that weight in the rear and on the hitch - dangerous to steer.  I could see leaf springs breaking on this long of a trip.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, 14GMCZ71 said:

The front end will be so light with all that weight in the rear and on the hitch - dangerous to steer.  I could see leaf springs breaking on this long of a trip.

You're right, I forgot about that.  His view will be towards the sky with all that weight back there, kinda like taxiing or landing an F4U Corsair!

He could put that 1000 pounds of stuff in the trailer but I think both units are beyond their capacities already.