Another Disappointing Breakdown and No Support from GM Customer Service

6 hours ago, paracutin said:

He may have come across as crass but he isn't necessarily wrong.  Premium features cost premium money to fix when they break.  We may not like it but it is true.  There is the expectation that the more you pay the better the item will be and the longer it will last but these are imperfect items designed and made by imperfect people and processes.

Flame away!

You should hear my buddy piss and moan about how much shit cost to fix on his 2013 Escalade. I just laugh and tell him he should have just bought a Suburban instead of trying to be on "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous"?

Edited by dieselfan1
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, j-ten-ner said:

I agree with you. To some degree.

There's no point to use abusive language when talking to a representative from the customer service. As you say, it's just someone doing his job.

But, as a representative he should also be able to handle some "direct language". All this tip-toeing around the bush nowadays is getting you nowhere.

Sometimes you need to cut to the point to get the same across.

so long

j-ten-ner

Completely agree, only thing you get when you roll over and piss yourself like a submissive dog, is wet pants when you stand up. Need to be firm, ask questions, and keep demands realistic.

Agreed. Well said sir.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Sadly I agree with you guys. We will need to wait until 2022 to buy a 2019 Model at a reduced cost and upgrade all the major systems with high quality parts to create a more reliable model.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

That is a bit extreme, dont ya think!?!? How is it his fault that his shocks wore out? 

I bet you're one of those guys that says "Oh that's just something else to go wrong" real men don't drive trucks with _______ (fill in the blank). 
Wow! All this crying over simple-stated fact. You bought a truck an with uber-expensive set of shocks. They wore out. Guess what? It's expensive to fix!

Be truthful Mr. Scoutmaster, how much use did those shocks see? With harder use, even standard shocks will shit the bed at 50k.

Here's what I would do. Follow the link from earlier to delete magnasoyboy and get a set of Bilstein 5100s or 4600s. It'll probably ride better with them anyway.

As a matter of fact I am FULLY aware of the nonsense that is GM's magnetic struts. After my grandmother passed, we put her 06 Cadillac DTS up for sale. It was quite obvious that the front struts were toast. They were *drum roll* magnestrut! I knocked 1000 off the price and got it sold.

That car only had 52k on it and was driven by an old woman around town, mainly for groceries or getting the mail.

With THIS in mind, I stay FAAAAAR away from that system because of how much it costs to replace. In no way, shape, or form do I harbor any jealousy for those with that suspension. It's an expensive gimmick.

But please tell me more about how I have no business on a GM truck forum or any insight to these vehicles. I promise that regular shocks will support the load of your pup tent and firestarter in the bed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I had so many problems with my 17 denali, that GMC gave me an extended bumper to bumper and powertrain for 8 years 120k for free. 0 deductable. Same factory warranty

Ps. I also had TCM failure, all 8 injectors replaced 2 times, leaks, shaking ect

Wow, wonderful outcome but sadly I know some of what you have gone through to receive that outcome. Best of luck and I truly hope you don't have to use that bumper to bumper going forward.

12 hours ago, 2017Darkness said:

Not a garage queen....you are 6,000 miles/year over the average mileage per year. Doesn't excuse the issue, but that is way over average.

I agree. A garage queen is something that is driven 4000 miles a year or less.

While we are on the subject of garage queens.......

I was toying the idea of picking up a C6 Vette this spring. $ 30 G gets you into a low mileage garage queen. After lurking on the various Vette forums I learned that fixing these things is very spendy. Well I kind of knew that already but reading about some of the problems they have and how much it costs to fix seemingly simple items I said F that I'm going to get a 2012-2013 Camaro SS/RS instead. Same LS3 motor and maybe not as cool as a Vette but I can get into a newer loaded low miler for $10 G less. And they are way cheaper to operate in my opinion. I'm just looking for a weekend cruiser garage queen not a race car. 

Back to trucks now sorry I got sidetracked ?

8 hours ago, dieselfan1 said:

I agree. A garage queen is something that is driven 4000 miles a year or less.

While we are on the subject of garage queens.......

I was toying the idea of picking up a C6 Vette this spring. $ 30 G gets you into a low mileage garage queen. After lurking on the various Vette forums I learned that fixing these things is very spendy. Well I kind of knew that already but reading about some of the problems they have and how much it costs to fix seemingly simple items I said F that I'm going to get a 2012-2013 Camaro SS/RS instead. Same LS3 motor and maybe not as cool as a Vette but I can get into a newer loaded low miler for $10 G less. And they are way cheaper to operate in my opinion. I'm just looking for a weekend cruiser garage queen not a race car. 

Back to trucks now sorry I got sidetracked ?

My first Corvette was a 1997 C5 with 30k miles on it. It got better mileage than my Suburban, so I drove it. A lot. Then I tuned it, modified it, more tuning, more mods, and drove it some more. I didn't have anything major go wrong, but did have a minor radiator leak and small crack on the surge tank. I replaced them both, then decided to swap the water pump, thermostat and hoses because I was way past 100k miles and figured it was easier now than to drain/purge the system again down the road. Did the belts and tensioners at the same time as cheap insurance.

Finally decided to replace the car when I hit 200k miles and the 4L60E started slipping. I could have bought a GM remanufactured trans for $1,400 at the time, and I had already dropped the rear out to swap in a Z06 diff so I knew it wasn't too bad a job. Instead, I sold it to a friend who really wanted it, and he had the trans rebuilt, and it was still running like a raped ape last I heard.

I replaced the C5 with a 2007 C6 Z51 3LZ with 32k miles for about $26k. Drove that one until I had 97k miles on it, and traded it in on my 2014 Silverado. I let the dealer have it for $19k because I didn't care to deal with selling it myself. They had it on the lot for $26,995. No idea what they ever sold it for, likely a bit less.

I guess my point is, don't shy away from them... they really are great cars. Yes, there are some specific quirks, and some things that aren't a "normal" replacement item similar to the OP's Magnaride shocks, but it's not really THAT bad. (No knock against the Camaro, I dig them too. Hope you find a good one.) 

Mark

21 hours ago, HeySkippyDog said:

Wow! All this crying over simple-stated fact. You bought a truck an with uber-expensive set of shocks. They wore out. Guess what? It's expensive to fix!

Be truthful Mr. Scoutmaster, how much use did those shocks see? With harder use, even standard shocks will shit the bed at 50k.

Here's what I would do. Follow the link from earlier to delete magnasoyboy and get a set of Bilstein 5100s or 4600s. It'll probably ride better with them anyway.

As a matter of fact I am FULLY aware of the nonsense that is GM's magnetic struts. After my grandmother passed, we put her 06 Cadillac DTS up for sale. It was quite obvious that the front struts were toast. They were *drum roll* magnestrut! I knocked 1000 off the price and got it sold.

That car only had 52k on it and was driven by an old woman around town, mainly for groceries or getting the mail.

With THIS in mind, I stay FAAAAAR away from that system because of how much it costs to replace. In no way, shape, or form do I harbor any jealousy for those with that suspension. It's an expensive gimmick.

But please tell me more about how I have no business on a GM truck forum or any insight to these vehicles. I promise that regular shocks will support the load of your pup tent and firestarter in the bed.

My man!  

Oh but wait, there's more.

How much time have any of you spent in the cab behind the wheel of a GM FS truck?

I've got 400k miles worth. 150,000 of that on 2 separate K2XX vehicles.

Sit down Junior.

Skippy,

You have every right to your opinions. I can confirm truthfully that I have not done any off roading to cause premature wear. I use a separate vehicle for campouts or hunting excursions with regular shocks.

I am not going to go back and forth on who has driven more or less as the point is moot. The type of driving I have done in this vehicle should not have the struts failing regardless whether they are Mageride or normal type shocks. Especially after reading all the failures Mageride systems seem to have had. I am happy you learned a lesson on the Magneride struts early on and wish I had learned about it earlier as well for this truck.

I think based on the majority of the comments noted that many have had or are having similar experiences of some type in general with their vehicles and they are tired of many of these earlier than expected system failures and shrinking warranties. I mainly was putting out some frustrations to get them out of my system and don't think this would have been as big of a negative response in your direction had you not turned a difficult situation for me into an unnecessary and unhelpful set of comments with which apparently most on the forum disagreed with your choices of words. I wish you the best with your future vehicles and driving on better than Magneride shocks. Lastly regardless that many would disagree with me doing this, I apologize for my response to your initial comments. Scoutmaster out!

Do onto others as you would have them do unto you!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GMC_SD_Ult_16 said:

Skippy,

You have every right to your opinions. I can confirm truthfully that I have not done any off roading to cause premature wear. I use a separate vehicle for campouts or hunting excursions with regular shocks.

I am not going to go back and forth on who has driven more or less as the point is moot. The type of driving I have done in this vehicle should not have the struts failing regardless whether they are Mageride or normal type shocks. Especially after reading all the failures Mageride systems seem to have had. I am happy you learned a lesson on the Magneride struts early on and wish I had learned about it earlier as well for this truck.

I think based on the majority of the comments noted that many have had or are having similar experiences of some type in general with their vehicles and they are tired of many of these earlier than expected system failures and shrinking warranties. I mainly was putting out some frustrations to get them out of my system and don't think this would have been as big of a negative response in your direction had you not turned a difficult situation for me into an unnecessary and unhelpful set of comments with which apparently most on the forum disagreed with your choices of words. I wish you the best with your future vehicles and driving on better than Magneride shocks. Lastly regardless that many would disagree with me doing this, I apologize for my response to your initial comments. Scoutmaster out!

Imo you have nothing to apologize for here, you had a clear issue regarding your truck and vented in a appropriate manner like many others have done here. You are clearly not a troll looking to start issues and was only responding to a person who imo was being a bit of an a@@ to you! I think your correct in feeling a set of shocks especially ones gm toutes as their best ever, should make it longer than 2 years with only mainly on-road use. Maybe give the GM 800 number a call again and try to keep elevating and ask to speak to a superviser or someone with a little more pull.

I know i have gotten positive results calling gm's 800 number, my last truck when i was having some issues with it, i was calm and nice on the phone and GM actually credited the money i had paid for a extended warranty and reissued it to me for free, a gmpp plat extended 0 deduct till like 85k. Not saying they will do this for you but hey doesnt hurt to ask, imo the dealer should of good willed some of that expense, you do have high miles but let's be honest here, those shocks should've lasted longer than that imo!

Edited by BIGDOGx

Skippy,

I can't help that you crybabies can't handle the truth. I disagree with your assessment of experience. I'd show you all my cub scout badges, but they got revoked because I ate a brownie.

I hardly think your experiences are a premature failure, it seems par for the course.

I can't help that you crybabies can't handle the truth. I disagree with your assessment of experience. I'd show you all my cub scout badges, but they got revoked because I ate a brownie.

I hardly think your experiences are a premature failure, it seems par for the course.

Quick question. Do you work for GM? not Trying to be a smart @$$. I think we all feel if we purchase or sign a lease for x$ the product should last.

Fact is they don't make em like they used to. It's all about marketing, sales and profit. So it's up to us to seek aftermarket parts that are of better quality.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HeySkippyDog said:

I’ll agree with this part...stooping to calling people crybabies ?. You have an opinion, that’s cool but seriously you think a TCM, injectors and now (I sort of agree with you on this part) magnaride system all failing in under 60K is par for the course? Maybe a par 3 course...

Oh and for those who think I agree with him calling people names, I was agreeing to what I bolded in his post ?

Edited by SS502