Small Pinion Seal Leak = Replace Differential!

The end of December, I noticed a small amount of oil on the garage floor under the front of rear differential of my 2WD, 2019 High Country.   It appeared to be a pinion seal leak.  The Dealership concurred and ordered a new front yoke and pinion seal.  Today, the Dealership called and informed me that GM did not have the parts so they sent a Complete new rear Differential as a replacement!!  Now they need my truck for a Full day to swap rear ends.   Appears to be an EXPENSIVE way to replace a $10 part, but GM must know Best!?

8 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Replaced the one on mine in about a half hour on the rack with a NAPA sourced replacement seal. Didn't need a yoke. They leak often from around the seals OD not around the shaft. A smear of RTV sealing the OD and bingo. 

No argument, but that is not a solution being offered.  Even the Dealership is scratching their head over this one!

Got me shaking my head too.

They don't have a pinion seal and yoke, but they do have a complete rear end. 

Maybe they are worried about pinion bearing pre-load after new yolk installation...   Corporate logic ??

I hope this is the beginning and end of your issues with the truck !!

• Like 1

You could take this opportunity to add an additional full size leaf to your spring pack at this time. Or maybe add Sulastic shackles. At least make sure that every thing is perfect with the install, to include a new four wheel alignment. This would be a good instance to have the driveshaft trued as well. Anything to help ensure it doesn’t develop a shimmy. Please keep us apprised of your progress.

• Like 1

It's getting harder and harder to find a real mechanic. GM didn't 'invent' a new seal. It is a part off any bearing house shelf. It is a disposable part.  Mine came from Berry Bearing. The act of removal destroys it. A replacement is cheap and readily available. Getting the preload right isn't brain surgery either.  This is too funny....:rolleyes:

Again I feel for ya brother. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the suggestions.  The rear was replaced today and Everything seems fine.  No clunks or vibrations and Truck drives smooth.  Photo below is old Rear with 10K miles on it.  You will notice the oil stained area around the pinion where the oil was being slung from the leak!

PinionLeak.jpg

Thought this was interesting.  While the Rear was being replaced today on my Truck,  I got this Email from OnStar!  At Least I knew they were working on it!

Dear Doug,

An issue with the Antilock Braking System in your 2019 Chevrolet Silverado has been detected. Please service your vehicle within 7 days.

Please disregard this message if your vehicle is already in for service. Inaccurate notifications can be generated during service.

Please see your dealer for service.

LOVE CHEVROLET, INC.,
INVERNESS, FL

Account Information
Account Number:
VIN: 1GCPWFED8KZ-------

Running a check on your engine, transmission, anti-lock brakes and other key systems helps you be sure your car is being properly maintained and in top condition. With Diagnostic Alerts, you can set your preferences to receive a monthly diagnostic report or be notified of your vehicle’s condition in real-time, via email, text, or a simple press of the blue OnStar button. Your car is self-diagnosing, so you can enjoy the experience of driving.

This is an automated email - please do not respond.

It's getting harder and harder to find a real mechanic. GM didn't 'invent' a new seal. It is a part off any bearing house shelf. It is a disposable part.  Mine came from Berry Bearing. The act of removal destroys it. A replacement is cheap and readily available. Getting the preload right isn't brain surgery either.  This is too funny....:rolleyes:

Again I feel for ya brother. 

How do you think fixes get implemented? By guessing what could cause a leak to be occurring at the pinion or by actually analyzing it?

Manufacturing practices change all the time. If one vehicle has an issue, multiple are faced with the same destiny. If it doesn’t get addressed, it’s money lost by GM.

• 2 months later...

Well mine is leaking too. Truck has 300 miles on it. :smash: hope this isn't a sign of what's to come with this truck. My 2015 2500hd had absolutely zero problems in the 60000 miles I owned it.

Off to the dealer on Monday I guess. We'll see if GM found any seals lying around or if they'll have to replace the axle like they did for the OP. 

PSX_20190330_204050.jpg

On 3/30/2019 at 9:45 PM, Donnyb313 said:

Well mine is leaking too. Truck has 300 miles on it. :smash: hope this isn't a sign of what's to come with this truck. My 2015 2500hd had absolutely zero problems in the 60000 miles I owned it.

Off to the dealer on Monday I guess. We'll see if GM found any seals lying around or if they'll have to replace the axle like they did for the OP. 

PSX_20190330_204050.jpg