Small Pinion Seal Leak = Replace Differential!

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 4:11 PM, DougFL said:

The end of December, I noticed a small amount of oil on the garage floor under the front of rear differential of my 2WD, 2019 High Country.   It appeared to be a pinion seal leak.  The Dealership concurred and ordered a new front yoke and pinion seal.  Today, the Dealership called and informed me that GM did not have the parts so they sent a Complete new rear Differential as a replacement!!  Now they need my truck for a Full day to swap rear ends.   Appears to be an EXPENSIVE way to replace a $10 part, but GM must know Best!?

Great customer service getting you back up and running though. Overkill, yes. Seems like they could give you a loaner until the part came in and still

be well ahead money wise compared to swapping out the entire axle.

This is why GM had to borrow money from the Govt. back in '08, and why they are closing plants today.

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 3:55 PM, DougFL said:

Thanks for the suggestions.  The rear was replaced today and Everything seems fine.  No clunks or vibrations and Truck drives smooth.  Photo below is old Rear with 10K miles on it.  You will notice the oil stained area around the pinion where the oil was being slung from the leak!

PinionLeak.jpg

This picture is of your old assembly at only 10k miles? Sheesh, looks like it has endures several winters and or is 5-6 years old.

Not a very good coating or painting job from the factory on T1 if you ask me. Look at all the surface rust/corrosion already starting to form.

11 minutes ago, Sierra Dan said:

This picture is of your old assembly at only 10k miles? Sheesh, looks like it has endures several winters and or is 5-6 years old.

Not a very good coating or painting job from the factory on T1 if you ask me. Look at all the surface rust/corrosion already starting to form.

Agreed, and I just now noticed its a 2019....good Lord I need to see my eye doctor :cool:  Well, visit him because it's pretty obvious I can't see...

Edited by SS502

1 hour ago, Sierra Dan said:

Agree and the 10K miles was in Florida with no salt or winter conditions, but plenty of rain!

Sounds like the seal arrived at the dealership today, bringing the truck in to have it repaired tomorrow. 

Update: the brilliant service manager didn't order the nut, he just ordered the seal. So after bringing the truck in, they discovered they needed the nut too. After waiting 9 days, it's finally fixed.  

Edited by Donnyb313
  • Like 1

On 4/1/2019 at 8:54 AM, Sierra Dan said:

Wow!  Have you been mud boggin out in the swamps with your truck? I have a 2016 up in the salty rust belt that aint that dirty looking.

49 minutes ago, Sir Dan said:

Wow!  Have you been mud boggin out in the swamps with your truck? I have a 2016 up in the salty rust belt that aint that dirty looking.

Nope, no salt, no swamps, just Florida rain!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

2019 Custom Trail Boss

2800 miles

Noticed a small drip of oil at the rear of my truck on the floor.

Found the pinion seal leaking.

Are they able to just replace the seal/nut now or do I need a whole new rear end? How long can I safely drive the truck like this??

Thanks!

20190625_080831.jpg

20190625_080809.jpg

Edited by HopHedd
Misspelling

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 4:04 AM, Donnyb313 said:

Sounds like the seal arrived at the dealership today, bringing the truck in to have it repaired tomorrow. 

Update: the brilliant service manager didn't order the nut, he just ordered the seal. So after bringing the truck in, they discovered they needed the nut too. After waiting 9 days, it's finally fixed.  

There's a head scratcher. Not that he didn't order it but that it should be required. There people have lost it. What has replacing the nut have to do with anything? :shakehead: