Small Pinion Seal Leak = Replace Differential!

You can safely drive it like that for a long time, as that is a tiny amount of fluid coming out..  Pick a time when it's convenient for you, for the truck to be in the shop, and then get it fixed under warranty.
I had an 11.5AAM in a Dodge with a pinion leak, looked like the Valdez leaking, I had to drive it to Washington (state) and then home (Pennsylvania). In all those miles and looking like the oil was running out of the pinion, it hardly made a dent in the oil level in the differential.

Gear oil seems to make a larger mess than the volume. If it's just wet and dripping slightly, it shouldn't hurt to drive it a while.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Took the truck in this morning. Got an old cranky service writer. Told him several times about the nut. This is what he ordered for the repair...hopefully the nut is in the yolk flange kit.

20190628_100526.jpg

Flange kit is probably the washer and the locking nut...

The Dodge dealer staked my old nut on when they attempted the repair on the Dodge 2500 I had...truck under warranty. Talk about a heated discussion over that...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Been two weeks and still no parts. Service writer informed me GM doesn't have the parts on hand/warehouse and I may have to wait for the parts to come off the assembly line...when they are building a truck.

Guess I'll just wait.

• 1 month later...

Good luck. My first AT4 made it to 500 mi. before the seal started leaking. A new seal was installed, and it leaked worse. GM put a hold on the parts around that time. A new diff was ordered too. That was in March. I traded it in on another AT4 in June. As of today, the “old” truck is still sitting in the dealer’s back lot waiting for parts from GM. The “new” truck has made it to 1,500 mi. with no problems.

• 3 months later...

I purchased a used 2019 Yukon with 34,455 miles on it currently.  While doing basic pre-winter maintenance I did notice that the rear differential housing was damp around the pinion.  I thought this was unusual for the age and relatively low mileage, as there are no oil leaks anywhere else that I could see crawling around underneath.

With that being said it doesn't necessarily look like a fresh leak.  Just damp.  I cleaned it with brake cleaner and will keep an eye on it, as my bumper-to-bumper warranty will expire at 36,009 miles.

20191213_120412.jpg

mine looked like that when I bought it ('04 sierra, bought in 2014).  I've changed the diff fluid twice (just after purchase, and earlier this year) and noticed that it's not showing that fluid anymore.  The diff is still topped up, so I think that blowing out the vent tube did the trick for me (I did that when I replaced the brake lines a couple of years ago).

26 minutes ago, BlaineBug said:

I purchased a used 2019 Yukon with 34,455 miles on it currently.  While doing basic pre-winter maintenance I did notice that the rear differential housing was damp around the pinion.  I thought this was unusual for the age and relatively low mileage, as there are no oil leaks anywhere else that I could see crawling around underneath.

With that being said it doesn't necessarily look like a fresh leak.  Just damp.  I cleaned it with brake cleaner and will keep an eye on it, as my bumper-to-bumper warranty will expire at 36,009 miles.

20191213_120412.jpg

Looks like a leak to me, i would set an appointment and get it taken care of, no need to keep an eye on a part that is clearly not right.

Gm will have no trouble declining to fix it if you wait too long, i wouldn't chance a seal being replaced with the PT warranty at no cost.

On 3/30/2019 at 9:45 PM, Donnyb313 said:

Well mine is leaking too. Truck has 300 miles on it. :smash: hope this isn't a sign of what's to come with this truck. My 2015 2500hd had absolutely zero problems in the 60000 miles I owned it.

Off to the dealer on Monday I guess. We'll see if GM found any seals lying around or if they'll have to replace the axle like they did for the OP. 

PSX_20190330_204050.jpg

I got a leaker too.

Discovered at 186 miles while I was getting it undercoated.

Are these  issues from the new design GM made rear end? There should be a product code to determine if it is AAM or GM made

9.5", Ratio RPO GU5, Supplier RPO code SU7 - 10-4091 / 19300457 High Efficiency 75W-85 (AAM)

9.5", Ratio RPO GU5, Supplier RPO code SU8 - 10-4122 / 19368514 Dexron Low Viscosity 75W-85 (GM)

55 minutes ago, metalsman said:

Are these  issues from the new design GM made rear end? There should be a product code to determine if it is AAM or GM made

9.5", Ratio RPO GU5, Supplier RPO code SU7 - 10-4091 / 19300457 High Efficiency 75W-85 (AAM)

9.5", Ratio RPO GU5, Supplier RPO code SU8 - 10-4122 / 19368514 Dexron Low Viscosity 75W-85 (GM)

National or even Stemco ought to have seals for them.

Edited by swathdiver