CHROME OR PAINTMATCH

aha1987

On 1/17/2019 at 9:24 AM, Aycock1987 said:

B9AEA15C-8AB2-4529-9BF3-4BC3EBC5594C.jpeg

^^Great looking truck. I dislike chrome a LOT. There is something about the color combo and the chrome that fit this truck. This is by far the best looking stock (non trail boss) truck I've seen...

Are those stock tires?

Edited by Chris walker

4 hours ago, Chris walker said:

^^Great looking truck. I dislike chrome a LOT. There is something about the color combo and the chrome that fit this truck. This is by far the best looking stock (non trail boss) truck I've seen...

Are those stock tires?

Thank you! No, those are Nitto Trail Grapplers 

• Like 1

Looks good on that truck. Typically I would say paint but it looks sharp. Another downside to the painted bumpers is they chip so easy you swear a cotton ball would chip them. I had about 8 chips in mine, I don't travel gravel roads, I don't drive in the winter with sand on the roads, and I don't follow people closely, I have a 6.2L so I pass them from way back. A guy hit me with his boat trailer at the fuel pumps this fall so I got a new one under his insurance, might 3M it this time.  

I'm old school, stick with the chrome, it's classy...and please stick with the chrome wheels haha...not a fan of the blacked out rims.  As others have mentioned, chrome won't chip as easily as a monochrome front end.

Nice looking truck, especially with those tires you put on!  Good luck with whatever you decide.

Edited by outrag1
  • Like 2

I have in order a 6.2 LTZ with every option.  It will arrive with all chrome like my current 15 LTZ had.  Last truck I also had dealer order paint matched parts to swap out and sold the old.

on the 19 6.2 LTZ I’m having them order all the black parts to match the trail boss, with the 2inch lift, and the black rst 22s  of the trail boss wheels.

so essentially I’m getting a trail boss with every avail option, including the 6.2, and rst 22s.  So I’m right there with you on liking color matched, or painted parts.

the only issue I’ve seen involving painting chrome is most shops won’t do it because it involves more steps they don’t want to take in order for it to stick.  They have to sand it, prime it, sand it again, prime & sand etc.  

so so to save me time and worry about the quality  just getting the dealer to order it and include it in on my financing.  I’ll turn and sell all the chrome parts me I did before and pretty much recoup  money.

Keep the front Chrome and wheels?  I don't quite understand all the hate on Chrome or BLACK this or that?  Black color sucks to maintain why would you want it on Rims?

Anyway if you were to run your hand down my chrome bumper with 75K on it she would feel like 80grit sandpaper?  Color matched plastic always has different color shade to the Paint and it will look like complete A$$ after 100K...but hey what do I know?  Do what you want.............

1 hour ago, mookdoc6 said:

Keep the front Chrome and wheels?  I don't quite understand all the hate on Chrome or BLACK this or that?  Black color sucks to maintain why would you want it on Rims?

Anyway if you were to run your hand down my chrome bumper with 75K on it she would feel like 80grit sandpaper?  Color matched plastic always has different color shade to the Paint and it will look like complete A$$ after 100K...but hey what do I know?  Do what you want.............

So you don’t like black, chrome feels like “80grit sandpaper” after 75k miles, and painted would fade after 100k miles.  So out of curiousity what options do you think are appropriate? 

If you are like many in this thread who likely swap out when a new body style comes out then none of these concern would apply.  My 15 I’ll be trading in when my 19 arrives has 66k and the painted bumpers look just as great as the painted body(and I don’t baby my truck).  Even if they were to fade at 100k it’s not my problem anymore.  But still at the end of the day the entire vehicle despite the options you choose wull degrade.  And 100k is likely the time where despite the are you show to the vehicle, it’ll start showing in some form or fashion.  

These are are vehicles and it’s inevitable that they will degrade unless you keep them in a climate controlled garage and drive them as if they are a Ferrari enzo(like less that a 1000 miles in the 16 years since they were produced).  Which would be silly for a Silverado that’s not a very rare super car. 

Edited by obfirefighter22

9 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

One of the reasons I bought the Texas Edition was color match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You bought Texas Edition because color match?  Just because it's a Texas Edition doesn't mean it's color matched.  A Texas Edition will  have a chrome grille, front/rear bumpers, mirrors and color keyed door handles only (chrome on the LTZ) so not sure what you mean by that.  The RST is all color matched and not color matched because it's a Texas or All Star Edition.

You bought Texas Edition because color match?  Just because it's a Texas Edition doesn't mean it's color matched.  A Texas Edition will  have a chrome grille, front/rear bumpers, mirrors and color keyed door handles only (chrome on the LTZ) so not sure what you mean by that.  The RST is all color matched and not color matched because it's a Texas or All Star Edition.

Door handles, mirror covers. Sorry it upset you so much. Also I said one of the reasons. Hope you’re day goes better from here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk