2017 2500HD Max Tire Size with or without leveling kit

Hello 

I have a 2017 Silverado 2500HD,  2WD with stock LT265/60R20 tires and rims. 

I been spending countless hours reading on this topic, and still seem unsure of the answers.

Ride quality is most important to us, so I would like to know what’s the best options to fit something like a Toyo AT2 Tire around 33” to 34” inches and 11” to 12” inches, maybe a 305/55-R20 ? Is their a better riding AT tire that last like the Toyo’s ?

would I be able to get a negative offset so I have some lip or deeper dish vs the hub moved more out? 

I been reading positive offsets seem to fit a little Better with less rubbing issues?

i think a 33” tire by around 11” wide would be a great fit for a leveling kit?

last question, I was think of going max 2” leveling kit, but if I go with aftermarket keys, and shock extenders will it still be close or better then the factory ride? Can I add better shocks to help with the ride? Ride quality is really important to us. We don’t do much towing, Mostly highway/city driving, no off roading.

i had a 2015 2500HD with 33” tires , 11” wide , 2-1/2” Ready lift level kit, and positive offset, but the ride stiffened up allot . We sold the truck and bought the 2017.

Edited by Fltekdiver

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, I was planning on aftermarket rims, 20" either 0 offset or +18 to +20

Tires I was looking at are 33.5 x 11.5"

I believe 285/60R20 Toyo AT2 Extreme 

If I have to crank a 1" to 1-1.5" I'm ok with that.

I'm looking at Kryponite UCAs with shock extenders and Rancho RS9000XL shocks 

Also.

Edited by Fltekdiver

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the updates

I did go with Suspension Maxx Keys, Kryptonite UCA's , so far, I'm installing them this weekend

Rims I leaning around 0 offset to -18 offset by the looks

I did goto Custom Offsets and view every pic of leveled trucks, and I can't believe how many go with -44 Offsets, on Leveled 2500's

I haven't ordered the shocks yet,   because everywhere I read Bilstein 5100's stiffen the ride, all though the have great reviews.

My ride is like a 1500 truck, as I sold a 2017 Bought new Silverado 1500 with coil spacers and leveled . My 2500HD doesn't ride bad at all, except for when you hit holes, dips, railroad tracks etc

I been leaning towards Monroe Reflex shocks so I don't stiffen the ride any more

MY Truck is also 2WD , It's hard to find reviews on a leveled 2WD 2500HD, what will work with Kryptonite UCA's 

It's hard to get a single answer on this. I've seen people say max is 275/65r20. Then I've seen people say they've stuffed 35x11.50 or even 35x12.50 on a stock truck over at the duramaxforum, with pictures. Then there are guys that try those setups and say they had rubbing or had to crank keys a few turns. Some say they had to cut things. There's also a good post on the duramaxforum that talks about how none of these trucks sit at the same height when factory new.

I called a few truck shops and they all said the forum guys with cranked keys and big tires have lousy ride, excess rub, and have to cut fenders. Oh, and their CV joins will explode in 5k miles. They then said I needed a $5k installed 4" to 6" suspension lift to do 34s - or if i feel like cutting, 35s - or a $1k leveling kit to run fat 33s. 

Lots of conflicting information. 

Thanks, I really wanted to go with a -24 or -18 offset , but decided to play safer, and ordered a 20x9 with 0 offset  8x180

I'm installing everything tomorrow, Kryptonite UCA's , shock extenders,  Suspension Maxx Leveling Key's 

Now I been doing a ton of research for tires. I don't do any off roading, live in Florida, flat roads, and highway driving. 

I want something that looks aggressive, but quite, doesn't compromise the ride . 

I've settled on 305/55R20 , as I wanted something alittle taller, but I also wanted the 12" tire

I was thinking of Toyo Open Country AT2 Extremes , or Nitto Ridge Grapplers , Or possibly the Coopers, which I never had before  

Thank you  I appreciate  the help

I did install Kryptonite UCAs, shock extenders,  Suspension  Maxx leveling keys.

I was surprised it did not change the right at all.

I ordered new 20" rims with a 0 offset

I really wanted-24 to -44 offset, 

But I didn't think I'd be able to handle it just with a leveling kit

That is a perfect size I would like to do about 34 to 35" and about 12" wide

My friend was over this weekend helping

Me with the leveling kit.

He has a 2013 2500HD 4x4 and has 35" x12.5 tires on his truck with a rough country leveling kit on stock rims

Thanks for the help!

it will be close..I had 0 offset with 305’s and Readylift and it rubbed on the bumper and splash guards.  Easy fix on both,   Trim the guards and shim the bumper out.  I ended up with different wheels +12 offset and it clears fine now

Why does the offset effect the tire height?

I am more worried about the 0 offset hitting the Kryptonite UCAs

Right now on stock.tires with 20" rims , I only have a inch or so on full lock turn, before hitting the new UCAs

Here is the part I don't understand 

My friend is running 35" by 12 and a 1/2 wide tires on stock rims, leveled.

By moving to a 0 offset that should not affect the 35" tire hitting anything but possibly the new UCAs or sway bar.

the 35" tire should still fit within the wheel well?

Worst case scenario so I don't have to spend thousands on switching rims again

I could use wheel spacers right?

When I turned the wheels with mine, again 305/55/20 on 0 offset fuel wheels, it wouldn’t clear the bumper.  I went down to 285’s and they barely fit with the 0 offset.   Didn’t like that look so went with +12 wheels and shimmed out the front bumper and put 305’s back on.  Doing that still allowed for a little rake for towing.

Wheels spacers would make it worse on the outside.  The 305/55 is wide and that is what causes the figment issue i believe.  I think you’d have better luck with a narrower but taller tire if you want the height.  The 305/55 is not much taller than stock but much wider.  295/60 20 or 275/65/20 might be options that give you some height with not as much width.

Edited by CRApex