Topper Questions

After much research, purchased a Leer 100XQ back in 2017 for my 2016 RCSB @$2400 that included lights, front folding window and upper insulated liner with folding cloths hanger. Dealer added free thick rubber bed mat and gate liner too.

I needed this for hunting, fishing and camping gear as I was spoiled by my old 96 Tahoe with easy / safe storage.

My GF and I are into cheap camping, so my old Tahoe air mattress fit perfectly..

Take your time on research and if possible buy new from dealer with factory paint to match..

Cheers-----Keith

NewAgainRCSB.thumb.JPG.f38ab4629671c769fd4a921d1f6708cd.JPG

• Like 3

if you are patient you can find them used for a good deal. i have an ARE on my 17 that i paid $600 for and painted myself. it doesn't look the best, but i have less than $800 in it.

i also found one for my dads 18 a couple months ago for $300. he still needs to get it painted, but it was a steal on a $2500 ARE Z series cap

I bought a Ranch Premier for my 17 high country!

Nice topper fold down front window, carpeted inside to match my bedrug, inside led light, and best of all automatic lock and unlock with the factory keyfob.

I paid around $2700 for it but the paint match was spot on from factory.

I had to lessen the quality of the picture for upload purposes, but you get the idea.

https://ranchfiberglass.com/premier/

18HIGHCOUNTRY2.jpg

Edited by EaglesZ71
YEAR CORRECTION

2 hours ago, jacobrmiller05 said:

if you are patient you can find them used for a good deal. i have an ARE on my 17 that i paid $600 for and painted myself. it doesn't look the best, but i have less than $800 in it.

i also found one for my dads 18 a couple months ago for $300. he still needs to get it painted, but it was a steal on a $2500 ARE Z series cap

The best I can find is listed prices for around 1/2 retail or originally paid around my house. No idea what the negotiated price is, but I think I'll never find one for $300 to $600. 

I'll keep looking. I really don't want too have to deal with Facebook and FB Marketplace...

1 hour ago, EaglesZ71 said:

I bought a Ranch Premier for my 17 high country!

Nice topper fold down front window, carpeted inside to match my bedrug, inside led light, and best of all automatic lock and unlock with the factory keyfob.

I paid around $2700 for it but the paint match was spot on from factory.

I had to lessen the quality of the picture for upload purposes, but you get the idea.

https://ranchfiberglass.com/premier/

18HIGHCOUNTRY2.jpg

That looks really good! I have a Ranch cap as well and I’m very happy with it.

AD7AC241-AFEC-4A80-9CF5-C4D22B28E277.jpeg

I found a used Leer on Craigslist for around $700.  Like mentioned earlier, it was tough finding one for a 2016 short bed.  Had a tonneau cover before this and sold it to pay for the paint job to get it to match my truck.  Wanted the extra space of the camper shell to haul my dogs around and hunting gear.  Don’t regret it one bit

1C67DEB4-3AB0-4EB7-B32A-3B21EE441CF5.jpeg

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, mdf21 said:

I found a used Leer on Craigslist for around $700.  Like mentioned earlier, it was tough finding one for a 2016 short bed.  Had a tonneau cover before this and sold it to pay for the paint job to get it to match my truck.  Wanted the extra space of the camper shell to haul my dogs around and hunting gear.  Don’t regret it one bit

1C67DEB4-3AB0-4EB7-B32A-3B21EE441CF5.jpeg

Man that looks awesome. I love those 22's too.

3 minutes ago, NWI Denali said:

Man that looks awesome. I love those 22's too.

Thanks.   I wired up some lights on the inside of the shell for going through gear at night and built a sliding drawer for getting things in/out

Thanks for all the help. I think I'll wait it out for a cheap used cover or a costlier color matched one. It sounds like they are out there and as the 14-18's get replaced with 19's maybe the market will loosen up a bit. 

And now I know that when I buy a new truck in 5 to 7 years I should just buy a cover right away if I want one.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/01/2019 at 4:03 PM, benny12 said:

I am pretty sure i want a mid to upper quality fiberglass topper for my 2017 CC short bed. Here are questions that I was hoping could be answered by those that have more topper experience than I.

1. What are they called in your area (for used sales searching)? So far I have come up with topper, camper shell, bed cover and cap.

Dealers seem to call them caps but I've also heard guys use the term canopy so you could try that if you're checking Craigslist or something similar. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/18/2019 at 8:26 AM, vinemann12 said:

After much research, purchased a Leer 100XQ back in 2017 for my 2016 RCSB @$2400 that included lights, front folding window and upper insulated liner with folding cloths hanger. Dealer added free thick rubber bed mat and gate liner too.

I needed this for hunting, fishing and camping gear as I was spoiled by my old 96 Tahoe with easy / safe storage.

My GF and I are into cheap camping, so my old Tahoe air mattress fit perfectly..

Take your time on research and if possible buy new from dealer with factory paint to match..

Cheers-----Keith

NewAgainRCSB.thumb.JPG.f38ab4629671c769fd4a921d1f6708cd.JPG

Nice , I have a regular cab 2017 Sierra and I’m looking into adding a shell ... any more pics so I can get a better idea of how it would look

6DB600FC-803B-4384-B8E7-0566DBAF5FB1.png

On 1/17/2019 at 5:03 PM, benny12 said:

1. What are they called in your area (for used sales searching)? So far I have come up with topper, camper shell, bed cover and cap. 

2. What do they do for resale typically? For a decent one you are looking at $1,800 to $2,500. Can you get half that when you sell/trade in?

1. Topper

2. Buy the one that makes you happy, especially if you're keeping the truck for a while.  That said, the second you write the check, you own it and it's essentially only valuable to you, especially if it's color matched.  My wife convinced me to buy one for my 2014 and I hated it through and through.  When I traded it in on my 2018, the dealership told me I had to take it off and do something with it.  I told them if they wanted me to buy the 2018 they were taking it or I was going to drive around back and roll it off into one of their dumpsters.

Needless to say, they took the topper.

If we were having this conversation last September I'd have driven to Colorado and made you one hell of a deal on the graphite metallic Leer topper I had.