Range device or Tune??

Get a range device or go ahead and get a tune?? What are you guys doing?

2018 Silverado CC 5.3L V8

I’m not running any engine mods so I’m just doing the SuperChips F5 Tuner which I used for HP/TQ as well as turning off AFM, speed limiter and adjusting tire size which makes a big difference. I’ve noticed an improved mpg and raised the throttle response that was taken away when added larger tires.

Sent from above

17 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

I’m not running any engine mods so I’m just doing the SuperChips F5 Tuner which I used for HP/TQ as well as turning off AFM, speed limiter and adjusting tire size which makes a big difference. I’ve noticed an improved mpg and raised the throttle response that was taken away when added larger tires.

Sent from above

I also used the superchips to disable the afm, adjust the tire size and transmission shift points. I didn't need a full custom tune since the truck is pretty much stock but allowed enough customization to make it a great in the middle tuner.

• Like 1

I also used the superchips to disable the afm, adjust the tire size and transmission shift points. I didn't need a full custom tune since the truck is pretty much stock but allowed enough customization to make it a great in the middle tuner.

Agreed

Sent from above

3 hours ago, 1SLOW1500 said:

What mods and what do you use and 2ant your truck for. Tune is better but if all stock and no future wants. Warranty concerns?
There are free stock tunes available on HPT. And forums help.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

Sent from above

2 hours ago, jackgraves said:

Custom Tune All The Way

1 hour ago, uood8 said:

1 hour ago, TXGREEK said:

Agreed

Sent from above

54 minutes ago, jackgraves said:

If you do have a Custom Tune done. You will never buy a Handheld Canned Tuner again. Trust me

I stopped by my local accessories shop and they gave me some info on the superchips.... which piqued my interest because it didn’t sound to extensive.  

Right now the truck is stock... but I have plans in the near future (extremely near lol) to add:

12.50x33R20 tires 

wheels 

Leveling coil overs 

CA intake 

and exhaust - not sure on what yet. 

Although the 4” lifts are really catching my eye. 

• Like 1

I stopped by my local accessories shop and they gave me some info on the superchips.... which piqued my interest because it didn’t sound to extensive.  

Right now the truck is stock... but I have plans in the near future (extremely near lol) to add:

12.50x33R20 tires 

wheels 

Leveling coil overs 

CA intake 

and exhaust - not sure on what yet. 

Although the 4” lifts are really catching my eye. 

First time I ran a 2.25” level was to be able to get into my garage. It was horrible decision, it caused my tires to rub then having to buy new wheels finally leading me to do the awesome CST 4.5” Lift. It actually lets me keep my stock track width and turning radius as well as let’s me keep stock wheels if I wanted to and the suspension is still stock geometry not requiring any additional modifications to your suspension, super high quality and heavy duty lift with exceptional craftsmanship second to none. The ride quality is great going from leveled to this lift, much nicer and smoother.

Here’s when leveled

74470578f465c8dd9caa9e5895fcedbb.jpg

Here’s CST 4.5” lift

b8eff04f323a5947c25073c5f86898a9.jpg

49dcbfb4532f5ade71163146776158bc.jpg

b23f90164142ef611c43702d66215d76.jpg

Running 34” Nitto Ridge Grapplers. CST front coilovers and rear piggyback resi’s

Best of all, it fits in my garage, check them out

https://cstsuspension.com/

Sent from above

If you do have a Custom Tune done. You will never buy a Handheld Canned Tuner again. Trust me

Only thing is that no one has a tune for my 8speed transmission yet which would be a complete waist of time and money. The canned tune is (IMHO) a safer route especially since the vehicle is still under warranty. If I ever decide that I want more from my engine, I’ll have a supercharger installed and the rest will be history, literally [emoji6]

Sent from above

3 hours ago, jackgraves said:

If you actually want a "tune" this is true....a superchips tuner or similar is just a good way to alter stock settings. You shouldn't buy it with true power increase gains in mind.

Only thing is that no one has a tune for my 8speed transmission yet which would be a complete waist of time and money. The canned tune is (IMHO) a safer route especially since the vehicle is still under warranty. If I ever decide that I want more from my engine, I’ll have a supercharger installed and the rest will be history, literally [emoji6]

Sent from above

What do you mean no one has a 8speed tune? 8speed tunes are available and have been for a long time.

What do you mean no one has a 8speed tune? 8speed tunes are available and have been for a long time.

No one offers a tune for the 8speed in my 18,6.2. Checked all the canned tunes, not avail yet

Sent from above

I'll just break down the superchips f5 capabilities 

It combines multiple devices in one:

Tire size calibrator - hypertech speedometer calibrator

Pedal voltage adjustment - Pedal Commander

AFM Disable - Range Device

Adds the ability to change:

Shift point adjustment/speed/rpm for the 6-speed trans

Shift torque management

rev limiter

speed limiter

gear ratios

adjust tire pressure monitor

idle/drive rpm

read/clear DTC

monitor gauges

Mileage XS/87/93 Tunes - canned, not vehicle specific tunes. 

I ended up getting mine new/used for 170 bucks so it was a no brainer. I did not intend for it to be used for performance gains, if performance is what you are looking for then you want to put the truck on a dyno and do it right with someone to custom tune your vehicle. Even what you download from HPT may be "custom" but its not for your truck, every vehicle varies.

Edited by uood8
  • Like 1