Range Technologies

Has anybody used the Range Technology solution yet on our 2019’s? Their site has conflicting information as to if it will work and what it will do besides disabling start -  stop function.  They say it works but when you go to their sheet that shows what vehicles it works on our 19’s aren’t listed. I’ll call tomorrow but was still curious if anybody purchased it yet. 

The way I interpret it is: 

If the 2019 has active fuel management it will disable both afm and auto start/stop.

If the 2019 has dynamic fuel management it will only disable the auto start/stop and the dfm will still function. 

This is correct

1 hour ago, eppieguy said:

Never mind, Google tells me that I have DFM. 

Yes, the higher trim models SLT/LTZ + have DFM, the more basic trims have the old AFM system as far as I have been informed. Is it driving you crazy? A relative has a F150 that shuts off at a stop sign, he hates it and it drove me crazy on the short ride through the city. Probably uses more gas to restart the truck than it would idling for 5-10 seconds. I have class 8 transport trucks, they will only burn 3/4 of a gallon per hour idling, at that is a massive 15L engine idled up to 1100rpm, so you cant tell me a 5.3L is sucking back 1/4gal per hour at idle. They are now looking for savings where there aren't any, the EPA needs to back off these guys a bit, you can only make a 5500lb truck so efficient. We aren't that far off where we were in the 90's in terms of mileage. 

Edited by L86 All Terrain

It's not driving me crazy, I know I can just hit the button to stop the Auto Start / Stop off so it's not worth the $170.00 just for that but if it would have disabled the DFM it would have been worth it to me because of all of the issue with the AFM in last generation trucks. Hopefully they'll come out with it soon and then I'll buy it.

27 minutes ago, eppieguy said:

It's not driving me crazy, I know I can just hit the button to stop the Auto Start / Stop off so it's not worth the $170.00 just for that but if it would have disabled the DFM it would have been worth it to me because of all of the issue with the AFM in last generation trucks. Hopefully they'll come out with it soon and then I'll buy it.

Range is working on the DFM disable.  Will not be long.

5 hours ago, L86 All Terrain said:

Yes, the higher trim models SLT/LTZ + have DFM, the more basic trims have the old AFM system as far as I have been informed. Is it driving you crazy? A relative has a F150 that shuts off at a stop sign, he hates it and it drove me crazy on the short ride through the city. Probably uses more gas to restart the truck than it would idling for 5-10 seconds. I have class 8 transport trucks, they will only burn 3/4 of a gallon per hour idling, at that is a massive 15L engine idled up to 1100rpm, so you cant tell me a 5.3L is sucking back 1/4gal per hour at idle. They are now looking for savings where there aren't any, the EPA needs to back off these guys a bit, you can only make a 5500lb truck so efficient. We aren't that far off where we were in the 90's in terms of mileage. 

Lt models and up have DFM.  WT, Custom, and Custom Trailboss have AFM

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lt1z said:

Might be longer then you think. It is not as simple to just turn off as AFM or the Auto start/stop.

Hopefully sooner than later.

They did a recall update on my truck.  The description for the update said the valve could cause a check engine light that would disable the DFM until it was reset.

That means the DFM can be shut off with the right signal.

Screen Shot 2019-01-21 at 5.24.48 PM.jpg

On 1/21/2019 at 9:37 AM, L86 All Terrain said:

Idling is one of the biggest wastes of gas. Reports put the savings in city driving around 5% give or take with some going as high as 10%. They figure it adds an mpg or two in the city which is big in a truck where it is most inefficient. Every little bit helps, it does work and it wouldn't have been put on if it didn't, that would be an extreme waste of money for the manufacturers. That is why I always laugh when people say the AFM or DFM does nothing (or any other bits). Well real world results, common sense and god knows how many miles and hours of testing they put in show otherwise, that applies to start stop, air dams and any other aero bits. Not sure why people want to turn this stuff off. 

Tyler

• Like 1

It doesn't matter what people think.. it's hear to stay. Pretty much every new car & truck will have auto start / stop by next year.  I know Ford, Dodge already have it. So if you don't like it... keep your old Silverado forever, or buy the plug in hack that disables it.  

People also have to remember that there are a lot of truck buyers that aren't brand loyal.. they only care about MPG. So if GM or Ford, etc... can implement these little things and squeeze out an extra 1 mpg over their competitor.. they will sell more trucks just based on that. 

Unfortunately driveability suffers as all of us enthusiast know. I personally could care less about MPG.. but many people do...GM, Ford, Dodge, etc, understands this. 

Hopefully sooner than later.
They did a recall update on my truck.  The description for the update said the valve could cause a check engine light that would disable the DFM until it was reset.
That means the DFM can be shut off with the right signal.

5c4647f345ea4_ScreenShot2019-01-21at5_24_48PM.thumb.jpg.21bce3d1e23eee32036910b0428f7a6f.jpg

Under certain conditions DFM will not run. It is not as simple as an on/off switch like AFM though. If it was the Range device would already work for it.