UCA’s, Shocks, Shock extenders, will it help with ride quality after leveling 2017 Silverado 2500HD

Just so I understand leveling a truck 2017 Silverado 2500HD correctly, as a lift kit is not an option.

I’ll be changing the stock 20” rims and going with aftermarket tires and rims with an A/T tire. Possibly 33” to 34” x11-1/2” wide.

i don’t do any off roading, and towing. City and highway driving is all I do.

Just so I understand all the reading I been doing.

I crank up the stock keys about 1-1/2”, don’t go to far otherwise the ride starts to get effected. Just don’t go max. If the height isn’t reached, then by new keys with the index off set.

UCA’s help with the gimble angle, bump stop issues. Will these help with a smoother ride? I’m looking at Cognito, Kryptonite.

Shocks like the Bilstein 5100 with shock extenders seem to be popular. They are stiffer then stock, but make the truck feel not every bump on the road, and help smooth out the ride. Is their a better shock for city/ highway driving for the 2500’s?

before spending $1k on leveling the truck, I just want to make sure this is the correct way. 

Im after the smoothest ride, with a aggressive look, long term lasting. I bought the truck new, and it only has 12k miles, we plan on keeping the truck for a long time. We love the truck.

Right now I’m running all 4 tires at 50psi. It was shaking our teeth out at 70psi 

Looking to buying something quickly so I appreciate any feedback 

Edited by Fltekdiver

If you're looking to accomplish all of those points I would really recommend going to a larger diameter shock in the correct length rather than shock extenders to get you back in the "ride zone" of how the shocks were designed 

• 3 months later...

I went through a similar thought process and install with my 2018 2500HD Denali Duramax.  I just added new tires, Nitto Ridge Grappler 35x10.50x20.  I have a 2" Rough Country leveling kit (torsion keys) installed, ride heigh is rough country's recommended 26" from center of wheel to bottom of fender.  Installed Bilstein 5100 front shocks on truck.  

My feedback:

I spoke with a Bilstein technical rep and they stand by that their shock is for a 1-1.5" lift (greater then the stock height).  The shock is designed for that height.  I asked about using shock spacers supplied with my Rough country leveling kit and they told me not to.  The shock spacer could cause the shock shafts to bend do to the increased dampening.  Again I am just the messenger here.  I would like to hear from others that have used the shock spacers on bilsteins to understand if there have been any issues.

IMG_3413.JPG

Edited by kellymit
Added picture.
  • Like 1

Here's a pic since I posted the original post.

I installed everything myself in an afternoon.

Kryptonite UCA's with OEM shocks and extenders. Suspension Maxx Keys, Toyo open Country AT2 Extreme 35" x 12.5" wide, with Fuel 20" rims 0 offset

After alignment,  I ordered the Bilstein 5100's for leveled trucks, and used the spacers. I hated the ride for city/ highway. I stiffened it up enough that I pulled them back out, and installed the stock Rancho's with spacers back in.

I'm completely happy with the ride again, and with the 35" tires, it feels allot softer of a ride.

I also shimmed the front bumper out 1/2" to clear the tires, and alittle trimming, nothing else needed, no more rubbing 

20190513_171250.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/13/2019 at 2:19 PM, Fltekdiver said:

Here's a pic since I posted the original post.

I installed everything myself in an afternoon.

Kryptonite UCA's with OEM shocks and extenders. Suspension Maxx Keys, Toyo open Country AT2 Extreme 35" x 12.5" wide, with Fuel 20" rims 0 offset

After alignment,  I ordered the Bilstein 5100's for leveled trucks, and used the spacers. I hated the ride for city/ highway. I stiffened it up enough that I pulled them back out, and installed the stock Rancho's with spacers back in.

I'm completely happy with the ride again, and with the 35" tires, it feels allot softer of a ride.

I also shimmed the front bumper out 1/2" to clear the tires, and alittle trimming, nothing else needed, no more rubbing 

20190513_171250.jpg

what size  fuels are they 20x9 ?

I leveled by dropping the back instead of raising the front.   Put on Bilstein 4600's and the ride is pretty darn good compared to stock.