Terrible Feature - Truck Shuts Off On It's Own?!?!

rikhek

I think there are some practical applications to having your engine run for hours at a time, some have been mentioned in previous posts, but I believe in "Right tool for the job". I'm not going to use a spoon instead of a ladle or a butter knife instead of a flathead screwdriver. 

16 hours ago, greatmizzou said:

Agreed about it being a terrible feature then.    Why put this on trucks to begin with?  I wonder if it’s a federal CAFE or OSHA type thing that got mandated.   

They did this because several appliance buyers managed to get themselves killed by parking a running vehicle in their garage and leaving it running inadvertently. 

On 1/27/2019 at 12:28 PM, Jimmyc! said:

I think there are some practical applications to having your engine run for hours at a time, some have been mentioned in previous posts, but I believe in "Right tool for the job". I'm not going to use a spoon instead of a ladle or a butter knife instead of a flathead screwdriver. 

A pickup truck is an awesome regular-carry multi-tool for when you don't want to carry all of your tools all of the time.

When I'm hiking/trekking/camping I leave the ladle and the spoon at home honestly.  A spork is the right tool for the job.

On 1/27/2019 at 10:30 AM, NWI Denali said:

Neutral + parking brake 

/thread

I’m going to try this tonight. I arrived at a rig in Colorado last night and had to sleep in my truck after driving and working. I froze my ass off seeing as it’s in the 20s with snow on the ground and this truck keeps shutting off. 

Ran into this "feature" this morning in our 2019 LTZ. Ducked inside a building site with my dog in the back seat. It was negative 8 outside so I left the truck running for the dog to stay warm. Came back outside 20-30 minutes later and it was off. Thankfully inside was still warm enough but it made me think I was crazy. Then I figured out this was on purpose. :sigh:

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Why not get tow behind light plant? Fixes the light problem with better light and doubles as a gender for power to run a small heater in the cab of the truck? Just a thought

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

I get OP's reason too, but the other side is it's an excellent feature for 'cool-down' purposes when working one hard.

They are promoting similar as a 'cool-down' feature on 2020HD dmax update... but it will only run for whatever time is necessary to obtain target cool-down temps. 

Edited by redwngr

On 1/22/2019 at 2:40 PM, rikhek said:

Truck is a 2019 Sierra AT4 and I'm really surprised to find it shuts itself off on it's own after idling for somewhere around 10 - 15 minutes.  I'll admit I have not had time to read the manual yet but this was not an "option or setting" in any of the settings menus.

Really sucks for me as I'll leave the truck idling for several hours at a time if headlights are needed to provide jobsite lighting.  I'll be elbow deep in "work" and the damn thing just goes off.  I need to go over to truck and restart every 10 - 15 minutes which is a pain in the ass.  I won't even get into how bad it is when I have to sleep in the truck while on a remote jobsite.  It gets cold very quickly when it shuts off....

Rick

On 1/22/2019 at 3:59 PM, MikeNH said:

Guys, no need to be nasty and sarcastic. Knock it off.

I would recommend leaving the truck in neutral with the parking brake on and perhaps the wheels chocked. I bet this would be a workaround. 

On 1/27/2019 at 11:30 AM, NWI Denali said:

Neutral + parking brake 

/thread

To the OP’s problem, these are the only two feasible answers (if it in fact works) given. It doesn’t matter what his reasons are for wanting/needing multiple hours at idle, it’s his truck. I would PM Chris at @GTPprix and ask him if this could be solved with re-programming. I know he is working on T1XX stuff now but being so new he may not have even heard of this. 

1 hour ago, Loco-diablo said:

That absolutely sucks. Who are they to dictate when the truck shuts off..
wtf.. more ‘big brother’ BS in my opinion!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"They" are the company that get sued by the lawyers us customers hire when we hurt ourselves, but don't blame ourselves. There is no big brother. Just a legal system setup to reward coffee spill-ers, and a government setup to provide teats. Welcome to the "land of the free".   

• Like 3

On 1/22/2019 at 4:28 PM, rikhek said:

Maybe people should read what they're commenting on before posting useless AND incorrect info.  People shouldn't "guess" at answers to technical questions or questions to which they don't have a clue what they're talking about.

what a DBAG.......

• Like 2

Wrong.  Read my post written in RED above.  You only get 1 hour with the FOB in the truck.  Sucks working/sleeping one hour at a time due to vehicle "setting".

Being a new system, lots of guessing going in but nice to have people trying to help each other. Your best bet would be to sit with service department and try to get them to help figure your problem out, this way your communication will be easier, good luck

Sent from above