What tires do you recommend

Looking for something A/T.  I am planning on going bigger on my factory 18s, and was thinking 285/75-18s or something around there.  I really like the BFgoodrich but they only have a 35x12.5-18 and I think thats a hair too big.  Just seeing what other brand tires you guys recommend. I would like that aggressive look but also longevity.

285 75 18 Ridge Grappler, have about 7 K miles on them, they look great, are still as quite as the Michelins I took off at 23,000 miles. They balanced well, and ride as smooth as an 8,300 lb truck can ride.

I like them, we'll see if and how  loud they get towards the end of their life...

IMG_0001.JPG

Been out pushing show this morning on my property with my 2500  that has BFG KO2' 275/70R18 on it.  The KO2's are great for that as well as working about the hilly property the rest of the year.  Guess I got my first set of BFG' A/T''s in 1982 and haven't really looked at anything else. Could be something better, but not sure it would make any difference as the BFG do the trick.  10 years in Alaska on BFG thrown in also.   If something works, why play games and get something else.  Mine have to deal with not only serious snow but two miles of rough and sometimes extremely muddy gravel roads to get to an from the house to the nearest paved road.  And a fair amount of hilly property that can also be a real joy when we get one of those  midwest gully washer rain storms.

This is how mine looks most of the year.  Ah.. to live in the country.  One can get a tire that makes a fashion statement or one that gets the job done.    

msg-122677-0-46110300-1498502896_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cowpie
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I also went with the BFG KO2's and love them. You pay more for BFG's but in my opinion it's worth every penny. I had BFG long trail tires on my GMC Envoy and they performed well for a highway tire. I went with 275/65R18's for my KO2's and have 0 rubbing. With measuring the tire size online it should be about 1 inch larger in size than the stock 275's but I found that with my tires at 45 psi that the truck has about an inch and a half of extra height so I barely fit in the garage now. It was tight before on the worn out sra's but the ko2's make the back part of my truck cap so close to hitting the garage door opening that I can barely fit my fingers between there haha.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cowpie said:

And a fair amount of hilly property that can also be a real joy when we get one of those  midwest gully washer rain storms.

I love those gully washer storms! haha.

but seriously, I love my Cooper Discoverer AT3's. This is the second set I have owned. They are slightly better priced than the BFG's. I got mine during a "buy 3 get 1 free" offer at my local auto store.

In reality any A/T tire is going to work for almost anything we can throw at (or drive through) in a half-ton.

Your choice is basically down to if you like a certain brand/tread pattern/price point.

• Like 1

I used KOs for many years. I spent 40 years working, training equipment operators on pipelines and transmission lines on all terrains. They last, are quiet and never had a flat. There could be better out there I wasn't going to chance it. The last thing I want out of a tire is its singing I'm here driving down the highway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Cooper AT3's. Second set on two vehicles. Good life, solid winter performance. No added noise. They will pick up pebbles though do to channel size.

Edited by RMR
spelling

I had and liked the KO2's but when it was time to replace them recently I decided to try the Nitto Ridge Grapplers because of the 75k mile warranty (vs the 50K KO2). 33x12.5x18 fit perfect on the stock rims and with a level kit in the front I've had no problems with rubbing at full lock in either direction. 

The Ridge Grapplers ride smooth and quiet on the highway but the best part is the improved traction on and off road. These are truly a Hybrid tire because the tread is more aggressive than the usual A/T but slightly less depth than M/T. 

Brax Truck.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aseibel said:

I love those gully washer storms! haha.

but seriously, I love my Cooper Discoverer AT3's. This is the second set I have owned. They are slightly better priced than the BFG's. I got mine during a "buy 3 get 1 free" offer at my local auto store.

In reality any A/T tire is going to work for almost anything we can throw at (or drive through) in a half-ton.

Your choice is basically down to if you like a certain brand/tread pattern/price point.

All true.  And it would make sense if a buy 3 get 1 free was in play.  

There are are indeed some good options for Tires’s out there.  I can’t say the KO2’s beat everything.  BFG has done me right in a lot of really wild situations for several decades.  

If if one finds a tire that truly does them right, then stick with it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cowpie said:

One can get a tire that makes a fashion statement

Umm, that is exactly what they are known for, there is a reason they are called Kbro2's...

2 hours ago, O_J_Simpson said:

BFG K02 A/T are still the gold standard. Let us know if you find something better. I would not waste money experimenting on tires.

Far from it, especially when you throw in their extreme pricing. They haven't been the gold standard since early 2000's when AT tires started coming in to popularity. Cooper AT3, General Grabber AT2 (as aggressive and less susceptible to hydroplanning) and Michelin AT2 all a better tire in most conditions. I have been hearing and seeing good things about the AT3W, but that is borderline a hybrid tire. 

2 hours ago, gearheadesw said:

are still as quite as the Michelins I took off

What Michelin was that? I don't think MIchelin makes anything more aggressive than the AT2. My buddy has those on his Tacoma, they aren't very quiet. 

Really OP more info is need to make recommendations. So much goes in to finding that right tire other than looks (which the KO's take the cake for and are why they are so popular, not because they are the best). Some sizes only come in E-rated which really dings MPG and isn't needed unless doing a bunch of aggressive off roading or towing/hauling heavy often. Stay P-rated in that case. Do you drive in the rain a lot or do you deal with snow and ice. The more aggressive a tire the louder it will be, pretty much period. A tire when new might be quieter for a little bit than an old less aggressive tire but tic for tac the more aggressive tire will be louder (especially compared to stock). Longevity also usually matters with aggressiveness, more aggressive tires tend to last not as long as the taller wider tread voids flex more. Are looks the main factor. Do you leave the pavement or are these for mostly looks and the occasional muddy parking lot at your kids soccer game? 

Expedition portal did a test a few years back looking at all kinds of angles and the Cooper AT3 was the clear winner. Aggressive enough to get through off road, road and handled well on the pavement, were quiet and the price was very reasonable. They expanded their line to more and less aggressive versions as well as a more winter geared tire. That would be my first choice. My current Grabber AT2 has been excellent. Got them in P-rated so the MPG hit wasn't much and they had 16/32 in tread depth, the highest p-rated tire. 30k miles and I am at 10/32's. They took me around Moab, White Rim and the Alpine loop without issue and many other places and beaches. Plus they were nearly $100 less a tire than the BFG and reviewed better in honest reviews (plus the open tread design means hydro-planning wasn't an issue unlike another with their c-shaped tread that gets brought up on occasion). Either way just do your homework, read multiple treads and look past the rose colored glasses reviews with a few hundred or thousand miles. Check the ones near their end of their life span and what independent tests have shown and be honest with what you will use them for and what you want. 

Tyler

What Michelin was that? I don't think MIchelin makes anything more aggressive than the AT2. My buddy has those on his Tacoma, they aren't very quiet. 

Really OP more info is need to make recommendations. So much goes in to finding that right tire other than looks (which the KO's take the cake for and are why they are so popular, not because they are the best). Some sizes only come in E-rated which really dings MPG and isn't needed unless doing a bunch of aggressive off roading or towing/hauling heavy often. Stay P-rated in that case. Do you drive in the rain a lot or do you deal with snow and ice. The more aggressive a tire the louder it will be, pretty much period. A tire when new might be quieter for a little bit than an old less aggressive tire but tic for tac the more aggressive tire will be louder (especially compared to stock). Longevity also usually matters with aggressiveness, more aggressive tires tend to last not as long as the taller wider tread voids flex more. Are looks the main factor. Do you leave the pavement or are these for mostly looks and the occasional muddy parking lot at your kids soccer game? 

Expedition portal did a test a few years back looking at all kinds of angles and the Cooper AT3 was the clear winner. Aggressive enough to get through off road, road and handled well on the pavement, were quiet and the price was very reasonable. They expanded their line to more and less aggressive versions as well as a more winter geared tire. That would be my first choice. My current Grabber AT2 has been excellent. Got them in P-rated so the MPG hit wasn't much and they had 16/32 in tread depth, the highest p-rated tire. 30k miles and I am at 10/32's. They took me around Moab, White Rim and the Alpine loop without issue and many other places and beaches. Plus they were nearly $100 less a tire than the BFG and reviewed better in honest reviews (plus the open tread design means hydro-planning wasn't an issue unlike another with their c-shaped tread that gets brought up on occasion). Either way just do your homework, read multiple treads and look past the rose colored glasses reviews with a few hundred or thousand miles. Check the ones near their end of their life span and what independent tests have shown and be honest with what you will use them for and what you want. 

Tyler

P-rated tires on an HD?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk