What tires do you recommend

I would recommend an AT with a good mileage warranty, the 3 peak snowflake rating, and an aggressive looking sidewall. So, that narrows it down to the Falken AT3W, Cooper AT3 XLT, and General Grabber ATX for me. Those would be my top 3 choices.  

• Like 1

I’ve heard good things about Goodyear DuraTracs from a few friends.  Probably going with a set when the OEMs wear out on the 18.

I had a set of Toyo AT2s on the 16 2500.  They didn’t last very long. 

Ran Mastercraft Courser A/T2s on my old 2K Dodge Cummins, good price, great tire! 

I used to always run BFG All terrains for years. Bought my last set years ago and they would not hold the weights on the stock gm rims ( the same set before were fine) so I tried Nitto Terra Graplers. They were garbage. Wore out super quick and were all but useless in mud. Then I tried Duratracs. Have had them ever since.  Got 90,000 km on them usually before they are worn out (running 60psi)  and they are good in snow and mud. They are a little noisy but no where near a mud tire. They are winter rated as well. I also have a friend that refuses to sell BF's now because he has seen so many that are too far out of spec to balance properly. Dealership told me they went through 12 tires to find 4 good ones the last time they sold some. I really like Duratracs but everyone has different opinions. 

On 1/23/2019 at 10:36 AM, amxguy1970 said:

Far from it, especially when you throw in their extreme pricing. They haven't been the gold standard since early 2000's when AT tires started coming in to popularity. Cooper AT3, General Grabber AT2 (as aggressive and less susceptible to hydroplanning) and Michelin AT2 all a better tire in most conditions. I have been hearing and seeing good things about the AT3W, but that is borderline a hybrid tire. 

The customer reviews here and at the Tire Rack do indeed establish the KO2 as the top dog overall.

I disagree based on personal experience. Some are similar yes but some are much different. Different compounds, tread patterns, etc can make a big difference. And how they perform can change based on how they are used as well. All highway versus heavy trailer towing on gravel roads, etc. But like I said everyone has different opinions.....

• Like 2

i probably overstated my case by suggeting all AT's are the same.. It's really more of a spectrum between something aggressive like the AT KO2 vs. something mild like the LTX AT..  But I would say that any two AT tires are likely to be far more  similar in performance to each other than to any mud tire, all season, etc.. 

And honestly I'm just not someone that obsesses over little differences.  Some guys are like the princess and the pea, they swear they can feel the slightest little bit of imbalance or hear the faintest road noise.  I'm usually so busy eating cashews and spilling coffee on myself that I probably wouldn't notice if one of my dang tires fell of.. 

• Haha 1

Regardless of the type of tire, I like to stay with “major” tire brands. Some off beat tire company you haven’t really heard of might look great, but may not balance, ware out quickly, or have a major blowout at speed, who knows, but that’s in my head when I see 4, 35x12.50’s for $795, from Buzzingo tires. 

Edited by gearheadesw
  • Like 1

On 1/24/2019 at 12:51 PM, avalonandl said:

I love the Michelin LTX....

I was inventing new swear words about the Michelin LTX AT's that came on my 2015 2500 Z71.  I couldn't even get up a wet pasture hillside without sliding around.   So off they went and the BFG KO2's replaced them.  Been a much better experience with the BFG tires.  I know it can be subjective, but the ride smoothed out a little also.  I am a solid Michelin fan when it comes to my heavy commercial trucks, but their offshoot, BFG, does a much better job at serious AT tires for those that need better performance.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Cowpie said:

I was inventing new swear words about the Michelin LTX AT's that came on my 2015 2500 Z71.  I couldn't even get up a wet pasture hillside without sliding around.   So off they went and the BFG KO2's replaced them.  Been a much better experience with the BFG tires.  I know it can be subjective, but the ride smoothed out a little also.  I am a solid Michelin fan when it comes to my heavy commercial trucks, but their offshoot, BFG, does a much better job at serious AT tires for those that need better performance.

I agree the LTX AT2 is NOT a good SNOW or offroad tire. But on the highway its great.

• Like 2

On 1/23/2019 at 9:50 PM, RJP44 said:

For those who would run the BFgoodrich, what size would you recommend for going a little bit bigger?  Like I said, I think 35x12.5x18 is a bit too big but what are your thoughts? 

I have 275/70R18 BFG KO2 on mine.  They are a 33.2" tire.  It was the next size up from the stock 265/70R18 Michelin LTX AT2 tires that came on the truck from the factory.  Those were 32.7".   The KO2's are slightly wider giving a better overall look compared to stock.   Also, my 2500 is not lifted in front and is lowered in the back with a set of McGaughy's drop shackles.  I hated the cat in heat stock rake.  The KO2's also were just right to get my speedometer accurate.